Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-23-2015, 11:42 AM   #1

Seneca Sewer Hose Advice

Getting familiar with our new 2015 Seneca 37FS and discovered the black/grey water dump leads to a PVC pipe attached to the bottom of the compartment. My first impression is that this is a poor design; it will not be easy to view a clear elbow fitting while emptying the black tank, my Rhino (or it appears any other) hose fittings will not fit thru the PVC pipe, and the factory supplied hose is one of the cheap ones without a fitting on the sewer end.

It does appear that I could remove the PVC pipe and pass my hose thru the bottom of the compartment. I'd have to figure out a barrier for critters.

So, what am I missing? How are others storing and using their hoses? Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:57 AM   #2

Rear bumper can store hoses, but add a vented bumper cap. You can also purchase a hose carrier (white or black, different sizes) from Camping World or Amazon to affix to the rear bumper.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:14 PM   #3

Thanks, Hattie, but I'm more concerned with the hose configuration when hooked up and emptying the tanks. The Seneca design seems awkward.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:49 PM   #4

Watt, maybe put the clear section at the sewer vs MH end?
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:21 PM   #5

I store my hoses in the rear bumper, and I use the special bumper plugs from camping world that don't allow bugs in, but still allow for ventilation. But you are right, the bumper won't store the rhino clear elbow/swivel or the elbow into the sewer. I have to take both of those off and I store them in a tupperware-like container by themselves.
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:29 PM   #6

Put the clear elbow where the hose now connects. Pull the hose out and cut it about 4"past the end of the swivel pipe and add a male hose fitting it will fit back up into the swivel pipe. Add a female fitting to the long section of hose and store it in a tub in one of the basement compartments. Worked great when we had the 08 SENECA.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:57 PM   #7

Thanks Grumpy, that's kind of what I was playing around with this afternoon, but my Rhino male doesn't seem to fit inside the swivel pipe, which means I can't push it inside the pipe. I plan on looking at other fittings that may be smaller.

Did some research on the internet, may remove the swivel pipe and install an access deck plate with screw in cover. With a clear 45 deg elbow and maybe a short straight clear extender I could bring the sewer hose up thru the deck plate, connect it to the elbow/extender and support with a sewer hose support on the ground to the dump.

What do you think? Too complicated?
Old 03-23-2015, 04:15 PM   #8

These are what I used and the RHINO will connect right to it. Use the original JAYCO hose for the short piece. Mine lasted 6 years and was still good when we traded it in since it's not exposed to the sun.

No need to do more work than necessary.

http://m.campingworld.com/shopping/i...two-hoses/7217
Old 03-23-2015, 05:05 PM   #9

Again thanks Grumpy. Taking the Seneca to Camping World on Monday for some minor work that we missed in the PDI and tow bar installation. We'll pick these up and try your solution. I appreciate the help...Watt
Old 03-24-2015, 04:10 PM   #10

I installed a clear 45 on the outlet of our tank fitting. Bought this kit...Blueline Ultimate Sewer Kit - Prest-O-Fit 1-0203 - Sewer Hoses - Camping World

Everything slips right together with zero leaks. Has caps for the end of the hose. Slides right through that pvc pipe on the Seneca. I store everything in the compartment. Store all the fresh water stuff in another. Easy.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:18 PM   #11

Thanks Mr. Oz another good solution. Will check it out at Camping World on Monday. Forums are always better than owner's manuals!!!
Old 03-24-2015, 09:19 PM   #12

Watt - I will be watching for your solution as I have the same issue with our '15 TS. I can not get any of the available connectors to fit inside the PVC pipe coming out of the box. I thought about trying to find a larger diameter PVC pipe and screw on cap and replacing the original.
meyerjohnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:35 AM   #13

Meyerjohnc did you try thr Blue Line fittings tha Mr.Oz suggested?
Old 03-25-2015, 11:42 AM   #14

I used this elbow on the tank outlet....RhinoFLEX Clear Swivel Fittings - 45° Fitting - Camco 39847 - Sewer Fittings & Adapters - Camping World

It swivels and fit perfect.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:01 PM   #15

That's exactly what I used on my 5th wheel to connect the hose to the dump valve. Plan on using them after I figure out which hose fittings will pass thru the swivel pipe or use the connectors that Grumpy recommended.

Made a one day maiden trip yesterday; all systems worked, so very pleased with the Seneca. I did fill the black/grey tanks with water to practice using the utility bay. Definitely need to follow Grumpy & Mr.Oz advice; connecting the sewer hose to the tank valve each time I dump leaves to much room for spillage.

Thanks for the info...
Old 04-01-2015, 11:30 PM   #16

I removed the factory 90 degree setup exiting the compartment and added a 4" threaded ring from West Marine. Now I can use whatever hose setup I want.
LSA376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:54 AM   #17

Thanks, I have purchased a marine access plate as a possible solution.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:09 PM   #18

watt:

I am having the same issue. Did you remove the factory swing pipe? or find the right connectors for the manifold and the fitting in the floor?
Old 08-28-2015, 07:34 AM   #19

On my '14 I also found the factory setup very limiting and just recently removed it, installing a marine removable access plate in its place. But I actually added a second one too, directly in line with the tank outlet, removing the factory cable/water hose pass through, enlarging the stock hole with my Dremel to accommodate the marine access cover seen here: Amazon.com: JR Products 31035 Black 5" Access/Deck Plate: Automotive .

Now my hose doesn't take a bend across the compartment to exit at the rear, it just comes straight out. I may reuse the removed hose access assembly, putting it next to the remaining one so I can have multiple entry paths for the smaller hookup accessories.

I never thought the stock setup added anything, I could not even swing it towards the rear of my coach since it would hit the bottom of the compartment doors.
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:21 AM   #20

Mike, yes, I did remove the assembly and replaced it with a marine access cover. I sealed the cover with silicone sealant. So far it has worked out well.