Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-18-2019, 04:58 AM   #61

Silly nube question but where did you end up putting the four batteries.
Looks great, a really professional clean install.
bob393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 11:40 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob393 View Post
Silly nube question but where did you end up putting the four batteries.
Looks great, a really professional clean install.

The Senecas come with a roll out try that holds 4 batteries. On the 2018.5 and newer Models the tray holds 2 Chassis batteries and 4 Coach batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Batteries.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 02:36 PM   #63

Sweet, my grayhawk does not have that and I could certainly use on of the side compartments but batteries are heave and I have no idea if they are strong enough.
bob393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:13 PM   #64

heres a question, what about the seneca charging system, while the solar is inputting the batteries, in other words, two sources of charge
Old 03-26-2020, 12:41 PM   #65

My Zamp 90W portable is programmed somehow to cease charging the battery when the battery is fully charged.
As for running the generator at the same time the Zamp is collecting solar rays and charging the battery, we have not done that. No need to. Would that be a problem? I do not know that sort of thing. But, it would be No. 327 on my worry list....
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:58 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer55 View Post
heres a question, what about the seneca charging system, while the solar is inputting the batteries, in other words, two sources of charge
I have not had any issues and my solar has been on at the same time I have been running the generator. The solar controller knows when the batteries are fully charged and compensates for this.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:42 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
I have not had any issues and my solar has been on at the same time I have been running the generator. The solar controller knows when the batteries are fully charged and compensates for this.
Thanks, just wanted to know if there would be any problems,
Old 10-17-2020, 06:27 AM   #68

Very impressed with your installation and thankful for the assistance as I'm sure to have more questions. So I might just get started, did you install the brackets into the ceiling joists? I read that Jayco will provide a diagram upon request.
Cavediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:04 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavediver View Post
Very impressed with your installation and thankful for the assistance as I'm sure to have more questions. So I might just get started, did you install the brackets into the ceiling joists? I read that Jayco will provide a diagram upon request.
There are only 5 aluminum trusses spaced down the roof, and no, I did not fasten to them as they are spaced to far apart. Jayco will provide a drawing of the roof if requested.

Old 11-08-2020, 10:03 PM   #70

Solar installed on our Seneca

Finally got solar installed on our Seneca. Went with a Renogy system using the 40A Rover controller.

One question for those who have more experience, are there any issues with using the gen set or driving the rig with the solar energized? I assume the Renogy controller is "smart enough" that this would be no problem, but just double checking.

I realize there is no need to have the solar system energized when driving or when running the gen set as the batteries are already being charged in both cases.

I have installed disconnects on both the battery side and the panel side of the controller so I will likely just switch the system off before we travel, but it would be convenient to leave it switched on while parked when we need the gen set for using the microwave or coffee maker.

Any input is appreciated.
ralett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 10:27 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralett View Post
Finally got solar installed on our Seneca. Went with a Renogy system using the 40A Rover controller.

One question for those who have more experience, are there any issues with using the gen set or driving the rig with the solar energized? I assume the Renogy controller is "smart enough" that this would be no problem, but just double checking.

I realize there is no need to have the solar system energized when driving or when running the gen set as the batteries are already being charged in both cases.

I have installed disconnects on both the battery side and the panel side of the controller so I will likely just switch the system off before we travel, but it would be convenient to leave it switched on while parked when we need the gen set for using the microwave or coffee maker.

Any input is appreciated.
You are correct, the charger is smart enough. It charges when it needs to, I turn it on when it comes out of the shop and off when it go’s back in, otherwise it’s always on. The only thing with the disconnects is to always make sure you connect the charger to the batteries first, then the panels Nd when shutting down, turn panels off first, then the batteries.

Old 11-11-2020, 12:23 PM   #72

Back in May, we had 1600 watts of solar installed. We also added 2 Lithium Batteries to the 4 we already had. System was upgraded to 24v. It works great and for us, well worth the investment.

"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." Matthew 5:9
LaMigra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 07:31 PM   #73

Solar Wiring

I wanted to ask how you ran the wires down from the roof to the compartment where you installed the controller.
Thanks
JAMTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 08:11 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMTB View Post
I wanted to ask how you ran the wires down from the roof to the compartment where you installed the controller.
Thanks

Depending on the year of your Seneca, the newer ones are prewired from the factory with an MC4 roof jack and 8ga wires running down to a compartment next to the battery tray.
Attached Thumbnails
i-4qNzJ5T-X2_LI.jpg  

Old 07-24-2021, 04:58 PM   #75

Finally got around to installing a 600 watt Rich Solar system on our Seneca. Nothing fancy, (3) 200w panels, 40A MPPT Solar Charge Controller with BT module,
https://richsolar.com/products/600-w...ppt-controller Since our 2016 Seneca was not set up from the factory for solar I was wondering what would be the best way to get the panel lines from the roof to the bay aft of the battery bay. After searching this forum I found JamesAO had an SF model like us and he had installed a system on his, he recommended going down the refrigerator roof vent would be the best route. Also took his advice on running (2) sets of wire for any future expansion, or cheap insurance! I used a flat Ancor Marine Grade Duplex 10awg easily found on amazon. I mounted my Charge Controller on a 1/8" aluminum plate with an air gap between the plate and the wood mounting board to assist in pulling heat from the charge controller.

On attaching the panels to the roof I saw Brian's idea of adding an extra hole on Z brackets for the extra holding. All hold-down screws were predrilled with the screws hand-driven, then covered with Dicor self-leveling sealant.

Oh, when I first removed the refrigerator vent cover I didn't like the way the top refrigerator baffle looked and had seen someone on youtube had a better idea on channeling the hot air up and out making our refrigerator more efficient. I removed the original baffle and packed insulation in and around the refrigerator, then attached the formed aluminum flashing and sealed it with tape.

Again thanks James and Brian for the ideas on making our Seneca's better!

Ed
Attached Thumbnails
3 200w Panels.jpg   Panel J Box.jpg   Charge Controller.jpg   Ref Roof Vent.jpg  
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2019 Silverado High Country 4x4 Crew Cab
Australian Cattle dogs Zan & Tre
ed4ster is offline   Reply With Quote