Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-14-2020, 08:21 AM   #1

Seneca Storage Compartment Weight Limit?

We think we traded up from a gas Class A to a 2015 Seneca 37HJ.
Question what are the weight limits in the storage compartments.
Worshamrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 11:20 AM   #2

I can't say I've ever seen a published limit, but they are pretty heavy duty. Some of mine have seen in excess of an estimated 150 lbs for sure. The center floor will sag, but it does so on the compartment where my power cord reel resides that never has had anything stored on the bottom.

Maybe someone with a newer Seneca might have received a better owner's guide than I did, mine covered Senecas and the smaller C's they made then. Nothing about compartment weight limits.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 01:33 PM   #3

I have installed plywood decking on the bottom of my 2018 ts.not because I was afraid of any weight issue but to provide a flat surface for stored items to sit on. The slope makes boxes and other stacked items unstable. I would agree that 150 to 200 lbs is probably within limits. I have actually crawled in these when installing items on the ceiling. I weigh over 240lbs and havent noticed any damage yet, but then again I am not I there bouncing up and down on every pothole. We load up the water tank bay with firewood which is likely the heaviest loaded compartment.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 02:00 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply.
I'll try to not overload them.
Old 05-15-2020, 02:02 PM   #5

I'll install some 1/4 in.plywood.
That will work fine.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-15-2020, 02:27 PM   #6

On our 2015 36FK, we have one large compartment right under the outdoor TV we call the Bar compartment. It is carrying a full Ice chest with beverages and Ice, then next to it is a stack of rubbermaid tubs that has all the remaining contents of the bar.

The bottom did deflect some, I put a sheet of 5/8 Plywood in the bottom of the compartment to level the floor out
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 05:46 PM   #7

On a friend’s new Accolade, I believe there was one long undivided compartment running the side of the motorhome. It had the same number of compartment doors as my Seneca but no dividers.
Seems kind of cool for longer items but I’d need find a way to keep everything from sliding.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:12 AM   #8

Congrats on your tradeup! As long as you don't convert one of your bays to lead acid battery storage for solar, the plastic is heavy duty and can take a lot of abuse/weight. You'll know you've loaded them up when you look at their bottom side and see a major bow. I don't have plywood floors in mine as the uneven bottom doesn't adversely affect my storage practices. But be sure to (1) add a plywood sheet beneath your freshwater tank and (2) drill a small (half inch or less) hole at the low point of your wet bay to allow water to drain out.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:06 AM   #9

Thanks for the information.
Why beneath the fresh water tank?
Old 05-18-2020, 12:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worshamrw View Post
Thanks for the information.
Why beneath the fresh water tank?
The factory supplied sheet of styrofoam beneath the tank is an inadequate tank support and the tank will bow as a result. While no one has reported a tank failure because of this, it is poor design for a tank that was meant to be fully and rigidly supported on its entire base.

Also, the single piece of aluminum angle screwed to the subfloor to limit sideways tank movement didn’t work for me when traveling with a wet tank. The screws were pulled out by the tank forces and the tank slid sideways in the compartment. Providing a solid tank base with non-slip material solved that issue.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
On a friend’s new Accolade, I believe there was one long undivided compartment running the side of the motorhome. It had the same number of compartment doors as my Seneca but no dividers.
Seems kind of cool for longer items but I’d need find a way to keep everything from sliding.
On my Accolade;ade 37TS I have two of those compartments. There is one on the passenger's side which I believe has 3 doors and the one on the driver's side also has 3 doors. I have my 6 foot step ladder in the one on the driver's side and have large tubs, one for fresh water hoses etc... and one for waste water hoses etc... on top of the ladder. In the bay under the water tank is where I have my folding camp table. All my bays except the wet bay are carpeted to include the pass through areas.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 03:11 PM   #12

Thank you.
I'll be sure and install some wood.
Great to know.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:47 AM   #13

Nobody will ever accuse me of not carrying enough stuff. To stay somewhat organized, I have put frames and sub flooring in a couple of the storage compartments. This has been done with 2 x 4 's and plywood. Rounding the edges of the plywood prevents "hardspots" and keeps the compartment plastic from pulling to a low spot in the center. In the second compartment back on the passenger side, I have a 8 drawer tool chest from Harbor Freight. It takes up most of the compartment and is full of tools. It is on a 2 x 4 frame, as described and has worked great. Think of the old example of a women's high heel. Spread out the load and you can carry a lot.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:58 PM   #14

Storage compartment rating

I have a 2018 Greyhawk. Per Jacob Frey at Jayco Motorized Customer Service, most of the compartments are rated at apporximately 150 lbs.
Rvorbust is offline   Reply With Quote