Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-07-2017, 07:44 PM   #1

Seneca transmission lockout-None?

I went to a local campground in the hopes of seeing a Seneca yesterday and I was in luck. I met a 2014 Seneca TS owner from Illinois. Speaking about power, he said to lock out 6 gear when climbing mountains. The Seneca I test drove did not have a tow/haul or gear lockout. Or at least I couldn't find it.

Can anyone with a 16 or 17 tell me if the transmission has any controls for gears? And if not how is the shifting when climbing?

Thanks, Mark

Ps. I want my Seneca to arrive already
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:04 PM   #2

Some owners of newer units have also reported the OD cancel switch is gone. I can't figure out why, I use mine regularly in hilly areas to keep the transmission from "hunting" excessively. The OD cancel locks out 5th and 6th, both are overdrive ratios. 4th gear is 1:1 or direct drive. The switch also seems to slightly modify (raise) the shift points for gears 1 - 4 possibly aiding acceleration.

No one seems to have gotten a good reason out of Jayco or Freightliner explaining the reasoning behind the switch's deletion.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Some owners of newer units have also reported the OD cancel switch is gone. I can't figure out why, I use mine regularly in hilly areas to keep the transmission from "hunting" excessively. The OD cancel locks out 5th and 6th, both are overdrive ratios. 4th gear is 1:1 or direct drive. The switch also seems to slightly modify (raise) the shift points for gears 1 - 4 possibly aiding acceleration.

No one seems to have gotten a good reason out of Jayco or Freightliner explaining the reasoning behind the switch's deletion.
I can say... I use the OD Cancel switch more than ANY OTHER SWITCH in the entire coach. In town - the OD is locked out. On the Interstate 'on ramp' it is locked out until I get to the final gear and 2100RPM and then switch on the OD. It gives me much more acceleration in 1-4 as Robby posted.

If this functionality is still there in the TCM (transmission control module), and if you can simply add the switch to the chassis and get the functionality back... I would consider this to be the "first MOD" of every 2017 and 2018 owner.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:10 AM   #4

We do the same using the switch as much as the cruise control switch. I would think this is a Freightliner question unless its an option when buying the chassis to build the Seneca on.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:59 AM   #5

So, so far, you guys are are not making me feel better about not having a gear lockout. I know all the benefits. What I need is someone with a newer unit without it to tell me "oh, on the newer Senecas you don't need a lockout because the new improved flux capacitor makes it unnecessary", or something along those lines.

Come on guys. I already told you I am losing sleep over all this stuff. Just like I said after ordering my last couple of trucks, "I will never order again because the waiting makes me go crazy". Come on Seneca, get here already

Mark
Old 04-08-2017, 09:52 AM   #6

Yes, at 88mph and with 1.21 gigawatts of electricity channeled directly into the flux capacitor its fine! Ours is on order too, and it's hard to research and not be nervous. Check out earlier post on truma hot water heater.
McGintys924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGintys924 View Post
Yes, at 88mph and with 1.21 gigawatts of electricity channeled directly into the flux capacitor its fine! Ours is on order too, and it's hard to research and not be nervous. Check out earlier post on truma hot water heater.
Thank you! That's what I was looking for. LOL