Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-10-2019, 05:56 PM   #1

Seneca water bay

I’m the proud owner of a 2015 37TS. The first time I filled the fresh water tank, I was inside doing something and heard loud popping sounds coming from the bedroom. Went in to check and the bedroom floor was bubbled up. Immediately, I thought of the water tank so I rushed out and turned off the water, drained water out of the tank and the bedroom floor went back to normal.
From what I’ve read, there is an overflow somewhere that should have been releasing the excess water but I can’t identify it.
There is a low point drain on the bottom front passengers side of the tank, and 3 lines going on on the rear passengers side top. Those 3 lines go across to the water bay to valves (see pic) that run out through the bottom of the compartment and drain into the ground when opened. Is one of these the overflow and it needs to be opened when I fill?
Attached Thumbnails
9CCCA04A-6539-42C2-8F10-D26FAAF08F56.jpg  
GJegstrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJegstrup View Post
I’m the proud owner of a 2015 37TS. The first time I filled the fresh water tank, I was inside doing something and heard loud popping sounds coming from the bedroom. Went in to check and the bedroom floor was bubbled up. Immediately, I thought of the water tank so I rushed out and turned off the water, drained water out of the tank and the bedroom floor went back to normal.
From what I’ve read, there is an overflow somewhere that should have been releasing the excess water but I can’t identify it.
There is a low point drain on the bottom front passengers side of the tank, and 3 lines going on on the rear passengers side top. Those 3 lines go across to the water bay to valves (see pic) that run out through the bottom of the compartment and drain into the ground when opened. Is one of these the overflow and it needs to be opened when I fill?
All three are the overflow and the previous owner apparently added valves to stop the tank from siphoning while traveling. They also need to be opened when you run the pump.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:18 PM   #3

So much fun figuring out a previous owners mods lol.
Thx so much for the info. Now I’ll know to open them for fills and travel
GJegstrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJegstrup View Post
So much fun figuring out a previous owners mods lol.
Thx so much for the info. Now I’ll know to open them for fills and travel
Open when filling, close while traveling. If you leave them open while moving you will probably loose 1/3 of a tank. At least until you lower the tank level.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:03 PM   #5

Lucky things went back to normal and the tank itself did not rupture!

Since our units have the multi-valve system to fill the tank directly off of the hose inlet we have the potential to pressurize the tank to full incoming pressure if valves are installed and closed as they (apparently) were in this scenario. Could have been very damaging.

Some of us have gone with an "air gap" system to eliminate siphoning which solves the water loss problem without having to remember to open/close valves on the overflow hoses and the resultant risk should someone forget a step.
Attached Thumbnails
HW Recirculation return - water tank overflow manifold.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:34 PM   #6

I had a TT prior to the Seneca. Once, while filling the water tank, it dropped down out of the camper onto the ground (broke all welds and nothing was preventing the overflow). The dealer that did fix (who may be the most honest RV repair guy I will ever know) told me a story of a diesel pusher that was considered totaled after a similar situation occurred in which the floor bubbled up from the water tank overfilling (there by preventing the slides from operating). That story, regardless of other factors, sufficiently provided enough fear to prevent me from ever installing shut of valves to the water tank.

Robs system prevents the bad and is the way to go. If the floor has returned to normal you are very fortunate. Worst case a few screws popped loose which probably isn’t a big deal.

Enjoy your Seneca this summer but take some time to find out what other modifications the previous owner made.