Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-07-2020, 12:43 PM   #1

Seneca Weight and Leveling

Currently looking at a 2020 37K and one of our favorite places we go is notorious for really un-level sites. In our 30X we've used the orange Lynx legos but they only go up to 40000lbs and the Seneca is right there and from looking at other threads here likely to crush them. In our 30X I've always made sure no wheels were ever fully off of the ground but does that matter with the Seneca? Will the leveling system support that kind of weight or will I still need leveling blocks and if so, what do you guys use here? Thanks!!!

Jeff
jeffro01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 12:53 PM   #2

GVWR for the 37K is 29000 according to Jayco site. Combined is 41K but you're not leveling whatever you're towing.

pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 01:02 PM   #3

So my reading skills suck... LOL Still though, seeing reports here of people with Seneca's crushing the blocks which has me concerned.

Thanks,
Jeff
jeffro01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 01:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro01 View Post
Currently looking at a 2020 37K and one of our favorite places we go is notorious for really un-level sites. In our 30X we've used the orange Lynx legos but they only go up to 40000lbs and the Seneca is right there and from looking at other threads here likely to crush them. In our 30X I've always made sure no wheels were ever fully off of the ground but does that matter with the Seneca? Will the leveling system support that kind of weight or will I still need leveling blocks and if so, what do you guys use here? Thanks!!!

Jeff
I have stayed at sites where my wheels come off the ground to get it level, in those cases I do have sections of 4X4 lumber I place on the ground plus I have some of the lego blocks I will also use if necessary to put SOME of the weight back on the tire/suspension in those cases. Doing that helps reduce the "wiggle" that is inevitable when the jacks are extended that far and you are moving around in the coach. I also have Snap Pads on the leveler feet that raise the lifting height slightly and spread out the load a bit more. Additionally I have a set of heavy duty poly jack pads that I use when the surface is such that I fear it may settle somewhat.

You will hear various opinions on whether it is wrong to leave a wheel in the air. But one thing is for certain, if you lift both rear wheels and are on any sort of slope, the unit may roll. The rear brakes are the only ones the parking brake locks up. I also carry a set of heavy rubber chocks to help keep me in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Jack pad storage 2.jpg   15x15x1.5-OrangeGlossy_0039-copy1.jpg   20180926_152701.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:14 PM   #5

my seneca wont lift any of the wheels off the ground. it use to, tried n to fix it but i just gave up
Old 05-07-2020, 06:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by groutman View Post
my seneca wont lift any of the wheels off the ground. it use to, tried n to fix it but i just gave up
My Bigfoot leveling system can easily lift the front or rear tires off the ground. Not sure what system you have (Equalizer?) but it should be able to lift your rig. You must have some sort of problem, have you inspected the fluid level in your pump/pumps?
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:42 PM   #7

yes i have the equalizer i checked all the common stuff last fall before i gave up even called equalizer but they were no help
if you try to level manually you can hold the button and it will try to lift but the the pump keeps running and does nothing
auto level either shuts off or says excessive slope
it acts like it not building enough pressure to lift
Old 05-08-2020, 06:20 AM   #8

My equalizers will and have lifted the tires off the ground. I dont think is a great idea so I use blocks under tires, chocks on the high tires, park with the front facing down hill whenever possible and have set up the rear suspension to release the air bags. I have four 12x12x3inch blocks for under the Jack's and larger pads for under the tires when we are on very uneven terrain. The biggest issue I see with fully extending the jacks is the loss of stability on the hydraulic arm. Early on I had one almost fully extended and I could actually see the unit was not straight. I try to keep the length to less then 60% of max. Especially on steep slopes.

Good luck on your search and decision.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 12:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
My equalizers will and have lifted the tires off the ground. I dont think is a great idea so I use blocks under tires, chocks on the high tires, park with the front facing down hill whenever possible and have set up the rear suspension to release the air bags. I have four 12x12x3inch blocks for under the Jack's and larger pads for under the tires when we are on very uneven terrain. The biggest issue I see with fully extending the jacks is the loss of stability on the hydraulic arm. Early on I had one almost fully extended and I could actually see the unit was not straight. I try to keep the length to less then 60% of max. Especially on steep slopes.

Good luck on your search and decision.
We follow the same practice... some of the best places to camp have nothing level.

In some of these situations, when it is possible - we have dug a hole where the rear tires will be sitting. This serves two goals, to block the tires from rolling and to lower the rear end of the Seneca. We also dump the air from the rear suspension and will use our blocks in an attempt to crib the front tires. Since the Rear tires are also the parking brake, you really don't want them off the ground. The front tires offer no parking brake assistance.

And then sometimes you will find a spot that you just don't have enough blocks with you...
Attached Thumbnails
20170528_202321 - Copy.jpg   20170528_150932.jpg  
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 04:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by groutman View Post
yes i have the equalizer i checked all the common stuff last fall before i gave up even called equalizer but they were no help
if you try to level manually you can hold the button and it will try to lift but the the pump keeps running and does nothing
auto level either shuts off or says excessive slope
it acts like it not building enough pressure to lift
Sorry to the OP for off topic…Groutman did you get yours repaired or find the cause?

My 2016 Greyhawk just started having this exact same issue today. Using auto level, Front levelers touch the ground, rear then touches but continues to run without moving coach. Then says excessive slope. Trying to run them out manually doesn’t work either, pump just runs and no movement. Front will still work.
Mc8404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc8404 View Post
Sorry to the OP for off topic…Groutman did you get yours repaired or find the cause?

My 2016 Greyhawk just started having this exact same issue today. Using auto level, Front levelers touch the ground, rear then touches but continues to run without moving coach. Then says excessive slope. Trying to run them out manually doesn’t work either, pump just runs and no movement. Front will still work.
no i did not fix it sometimes it work no problem it seems like the more level the spot is thats when i problems