Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-11-2021, 08:52 PM   #1

Seneca Wet Bay Leak

Greetings,

So an interesting thing happened this AM.

Precursor - I'm currently stationary at my "home" RV park. - connected to utilities, including water (so my wet bay water control valves are set to city water).

I'm one of those that tend to turn things off when not needed - so, each night I turn off the switch controlling my demand water heater.

On workdays, I get up around 4:15-4:30AM, and turn a few things on (fireplace and buddy heater if it's cold, my pre setup coffee maker, and yep - that demand hot water heater.). I have been known to do this in the dark :-)

That's exactly what I did today - but in the dark, I inadvertently switched on the 12V water pump. - Then I went back to bed for awhile while things warmed up :-) Of course, I noticed this when I did get up and switched it off and the water heater on.

All good - did my morning routine, and headed out at 5:30AM in the dark of course. exiting my rig, I hear water running as I head to the rear (because I always turn my city water off while away) and notice water coming from the LH side of the wet bay. Remember, it's dark, and I gotta go. So tonight, I get home and armed with flashlight, iPhone, and a really swell tool (a Depstech Wifi endoscope). I start to investigate.

Well, this one was pretty easy - the photo shows what I believe is a particle/sediment filter housing that is part of the water pump (I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong on this). I can't upload a video, but as soon as I turned on city water, this began leaking a stream of water.

The good news is it's just a screw on housing - that had apparently loosened.

Short story? - I suspect running the 12V pump when the control panel is set for city water) for any length of time (since you are essentially dead heading the pump) caused enough vibration to loosen this up to the point of leaking.

Maybe some of you have experienced a similar situation, maybe not - but if you get a wet bay leak and your not sure why - might want to start here.

Cheers and safe travels.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0117.jpg  
JimL is offline   Reply With Quote