Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-11-2024, 04:31 PM   #1

series/parallel panel set up

I have 4 300 watt panels, a 60 amp renogy charge controller. If I wire the panels in series/parallel, will the total watts be 1200? if so, then the 60 amp controller will only handle 800 watts at 12 volts. I keep getting different answers to this. I'm thinking I may have to change to a 100 amp controller. Any real time experience would be appreciated. Inluded is the sticker on the back of one panel. I also have 4 100 Ah Lithium Batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
panel.jpg  
dcs500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 05:48 PM   #2

There is more math than that to figure out panels, wiring and charge controller and that where an online calculator come in handy. I have used this site many time for my calculations https://www.diyrenewable.com/charge-...er-calculator/

Since you posted the label from your panels, I got the VOC rating and ran the calculator for the panels wired in Series, then in Parallel and then a mix of series/parallel. Your Renogy controller isnít rated by how many watts, itís rated by Voltage and Amps and looking at the Renogy specs its rate is for max 150 volts/60amps. The calculator shows you would be maxing the Renogy 60 amp charger out with the panels set up in a series/parallel layout. I also ran straight series and straight parallel and the Renogy could run them in series but it wouldnít be optimal. I started with the Renogy but after two failures and Renogys terrible Customer Support, I switched to Victron and have to say, itís much better quality. I have 1200 watts but I split it into 2 separate arrays and run two Victron 100-50 chargers. I did have to run another set of wires for the second array but it was pretty easy as I found the factory solar prep Jack was mounted right above the bedroom closet and dropped down through there, then forward to a drivers side compartment. Installed a combiner box and retained the factory wiring for a small panel to charge the chassis batteries but then later discovered the Victron Multiplus II have a chassis battery trickle charger built in. The nice thing about Victron equipment is itís all programmable and controlled from a phone app. All components that you add can be networked together so they work together for optimization.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7211.jpg   IMG_7212.jpg   IMG_7213.jpg   Sz2SSFN-0%21sizeoriginal.jpg   cQvNqpr-0%21sizeoriginal.jpg  

sHWSxpV-0%21sizeoriginal.jpg   ZVFFSFJ-0%21sizeoriginal.jpg   8tPTNwm-0%21sizeoriginal.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 06:41 PM   #3

So I'd have to go to 2 victron 50 amp controllers or one renogy 100 amper. If they made a Victron 100 amp controller, would you still need to run a second wire? Or is there too much loss of voltage with the existing solar cable? My junction box is in the same place on my Seneca but I'm trying to keep the work load down as much as possible. BTW, is the factory installed solar cable 10 gauge?
Old 02-11-2024, 09:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs500 View Post
So I'd have to go to 2 victron 50 amp controllers or one renogy 100 amper. If they made a Victron 100 amp controller, would you still need to run a second wire? Or is there too much loss of voltage with the existing solar cable? My junction box is in the same place on my Seneca but I'm trying to keep the work load down as much as possible. BTW, is the factory installed solar cable 10 gauge?
No you wouldn’t need to run two controllers, Victron makes a 150/70 that would work.

Victron Energy BlueSolar MPPT TR 150V 70 amp 12/24/36/48-Volt Solar Charge Controller https://a.co/d/3xM7fA4

My factory solar prep was 8ga but it’s good to check, it’s on the wire. Since 8ga wire is rated at 55amps, you would be pushing it with your panels in a mix being capable of putting out 63 amps in the best conditions…..but in the real world you probably wouldn’t reach the full rating but it should be wired for it for safety. One other thing is that you want your cable run from the panels to the controller as short as possible and I found out in doing mine that Jayco puts, by my estimate, over 80’ of wire in the solar prep because of how the run it. I could a connection under the bed that wasn’t even crimped and just under the bed, I cut out 12’ of excess solar wire.

Old 02-12-2024, 08:17 AM   #5

Great. I didn't know Victron made the 70 amp controller. That would work. It's quite a bit cheaper than the Renogy 100. I have seen the solar cable under the bed when I wired up my macerator toilet I installed in my 1/2 bath so that would also help. I think I have a clear plan to work with now, thanks to your info. It helps that we both have 2018.5 Senecas as I can understand and work with your experiences. I'll post some pics when finished. Cheers
Old 02-12-2024, 10:23 AM   #6

I'm adding an inline 60 amp circuit breaker just before the charge controller. I also traced, as best I can, the total length of cables (AWG 8) after cutting out the 12 feet under the bed and my estimate is 42 feet. I hope.
Old 02-15-2024, 10:11 PM   #7

Rustynuts, I want to swap my GoPower 30 Solar Controller for the Victron 100/5 but I have a connection question. The GoPower has outputs for two battery banks (assuming chassis and house) but the Victron only has outputs for one bank. What would I do with the chassis battery wires that are currently plugged into the GoPower? The GoPower
manual says that after battery bank one is charged it switches to charging battery bank two. I wouldn't want to lose that capability.
DonkeyFluffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 04:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyFluffer View Post
Rustynuts, I want to swap my GoPower 30 Solar Controller for the Victron 100/5 but I have a connection question. The GoPower has outputs for two battery banks (assuming chassis and house) but the Victron only has outputs for one bank. What would I do with the chassis battery wires that are currently plugged into the GoPower? The GoPower
manual says that after battery bank one is charged it switches to charging battery bank two. I wouldn't want to lose that capability.
Iím not quite sure how you would do that with the Victron equipment that I am familiar with. Victron does have a lot of different battery isolators/balance chargers that can be added into a system but have never used them. My MultiplusII inverter is always on and it has a trickle charger that maintains the chassis batteries. I would call a Victron dealer, AM Solar out of Springfield OR is a great and very helpful company, they might be able to help you.

Old 02-16-2024, 10:53 PM   #9

Ok, then I think that's what I'll do. Call someone. Thank you!
DonkeyFluffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 01:54 PM   #10

2024 North Point 310RLTS Battery Connection

There are 2 Positive cables and Negative cables coming from the RV. What is the proper way to connect two batteries in parallel.
Mike Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote