Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-22-2022, 07:56 PM   #1
jdd

Shocks

Appreciate any feedback.

Our 2017 TS has stock Blistein shocks. I know very little about shocks but I understand this is a decent brand. Question is, are they a good shock, and would you think new stock shocks with 24,000 miles be worn out?

Thanks,

JD

jdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 03:43 AM   #2

I replaced our Bilsteins (with Konis) at 18k.....they were pretty much toast. What a difference! A lot of people have gone with Bilsteins. Perhaps the ones that come stock on the units are of lower quality.
Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Toad
2008 Honda Gold Wing Level 3
1968 Honda CT90
stu stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 05:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdd View Post
Appreciate any feedback.

Our 2017 TS has stock Blistein shocks. I know very little about shocks but I understand this is a decent brand. Question is, are they a good shock, and would you think new stock shocks with 24,000 miles be worn out?

Thanks,

JD
Look on YouTube or just a test on motorhome shocks. If I remember right the Bilsteins came out on top, they were the least expensive but were the best for small bumps and large bumps. Most people will say theirs are the best on everything they buy, I like to read test results
Old 12-01-2022, 02:41 AM   #4

Koni or Bilsteins most people are going with Koni; I did and wow it makes a difference.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Koni or Bilsteins most people are going with Koni; I did and wow it makes a difference.
I completely agree, that is what I had on the Seneca (Kodiak version) and it made for a much better ride. Not cheap, but well worth the money invested.
Old 12-02-2022, 03:01 PM   #6

I have spent all day tracking down shocks for the S2RV. Here is what I have found:
Fox - No longer making shocks for S2RV
Bilstein - No longer making shocks for S2RV
Koni - Talked with Mason at Koni, he said they don't have anything for the M2 or S2RV. They do have something for the FRED (FRont Engine Diesel). BUT, they are not specifically listed for the S2RV, but might fit.

Has anyone installed Koni 8805-1040 (front) or 8805-1041 (rear) shocks on their S2RV?

TIA
Instagram @wanderingpeaches
www.youtube.com/@wanderingpeaches
repeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 03:19 PM   #7

Call HD Shocks in California and talk with Pat, order you a set of King's and you won't regret it. They are not inexpensive but they are a huge improvement and well worth the money.
Utrzrdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 03:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrzrdog View Post
Call HD Shocks in California and talk with Pat, order you a set of King's and you won't regret it. They are not inexpensive but they are a huge improvement and well worth the money.
I just called and talked with Pat. He is running a few months out. He is checking on part availability and will get back with me.
Yes they are quite expensive.

I am still hoping someone here in the Forums has put the Koni on their S2RV chassis and can verify the part numbers.
Old 12-02-2022, 04:26 PM   #9

I had asked John at SuperSteer and he said 8805-1040 for the front and after taking my VI number along with the make and model of the existing rear shock he said 99B-3209 50mm Evo. These are Koni Shocks.
We have the airliner suspension. The existing rear spring is Sachs 16-16764-000.
They are pricey and I haven't bought them yet because I have only 11,000 miles on my rig and I've already spent my monthly budget on other suspension stuff.
2019 F-150
Semix-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 05:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semix-Hex View Post
I had asked John at SuperSteer and he said 8805-1040 for the front and after taking my VI number along with the make and model of the existing rear shock he said 99B-3209 50mm Evo. These are Koni Shocks.
We have the airliner suspension. The existing rear spring is Sachs 16-16764-000.
They are pricey and I haven't bought them yet because I have only 11,000 miles on my rig and I've already spent my monthly budget on other suspension stuff.
Interesting.... Carlos at SuperSteer told me the 8805-1040 for front and 8805-1041 for the rear and Mason at Koni gave me the dimensions of these to try and compare to what is on the RV right now.

I can not believe how hard it is to get shocks for this S2RV. My old Kodiak was a simple Monroe shock replacement.

Still hoping for hear from someone that has actually put the Koni on their S2RV.
Old 12-02-2022, 06:02 PM   #11

This is the test, https://www.rv.com/archive/shock-the...absorber-test/
You may not agree but did you test all of them?
Old 12-02-2022, 11:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpietsch View Post
I can not believe how hard it is to get shocks for this S2RV. My old Kodiak was a simple Monroe shock replacement.
You can find standard Monroe or Gabriel shocks that for the S2RV chassis by searching for the S2C bus chassis, same frame and suspension. I have read on a Reneagade forum that these fit the rear on the S2 and the reports were that they made a big difference over the factory shocks.

Genuine Gabriel Shock Absorber - 89443 https://a.co/d/0vT2MmT

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 08:27 AM   #13

Those do have the proper spacing at the ends. No need for spacers.
2019 F-150
Semix-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 12:04 PM   #14

I've been looking into what shocks to put on for almost a year now and was going to do the FOX shocks but missed the window. I was then going to replace my front Bilsteins with newer Bilsteins and the my backs were Sachs and replace them with Gabriel. After finding out that the Bilsteins were backordered for 3-6 months and everyone saying how good of ride the Koni's are, especially the EVO's as they were designed for motorhomes I figured I would see if I could find something.

After a bunch of research I finally found two people that have ran Koni shocks on the front of their Freightliner M2. One was with the 8805-1040 which is the Koni FSD, and the other was with the 88-1641SP3 which is Koni adjustable shock. Now the 99B-3254 is Koni's new EVO brand which is basically the upgrade to the 88-1641SP3. I measured my Bilsteins both extended and compressed and they match within about half a inch to both the 88-1641SP3 and the 99B-3254. Koni will say that the EVO's are designed for independent axles and won't work with the M2 or any solid axle. I spent hours on several different forums reading others with solid axles in all sorts of motorhomes, mostly class a diesel pushers that tried them and loved them.

So that being said, I figured I'd give it a try. I put the Koni EVO 99B-3254 on the front of my Senaca M2. I would have tried the EVO's on the back but I had already replaced the back with the Gabriel's and my backend Sachs were completely shot. They were really not providing anything. Have to say the Gabriel's did help a bunch and I've happy with them, but will probably replace them with the EVO's next year.

Now, I've only got about 10-20 miles testing the EVO's so far, and am very impressed. I'm sure some of it was my Bilsteins were needing replaced as I have about 80k miles on my 2017 Senaca. Now if your expecting it to ride like a Prevost or some other class A tag axle ride, your not going to be happy. But for a Freightliner medium duty semi truck, it rides pretty nice. It ride more like a pickup truck now. Hitting bumps are not so jolting and the huge difference I noticed was turns. Before when I would make turns at intersections and you would make that dip down, when I would come up, there would be really big sways and it would sway 5-6 times before it would stop. Now its about 1 sway and it back to stable. It just seems night and say difference with being stable. I'm getting ready for a 3000+ trip here in about 30 days and that will be the big test.
FYIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 12:10 PM   #15

Some photo's of the EVO's.

https://ibb.co/wsRM10F

https://ibb.co/qNxvMBt
FYIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 06:36 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FYIB View Post
Great photos, looks like it was easy to get to
Old 12-07-2022, 12:55 PM   #17

Here is another options that seems to be the best (also most expensive but not unreasonable). https://hdshocks.com.

These are build by King shocks and they are custom valved for the M2 and S2 RV chassis. The biggest issue I have found is most of the shocks need a lot more damping especially in the rear due to the high center of mass (swaying etc). They are 2.5" fronts and 3.0" rears. Plus you can send them back and get them re-build and/or re-valved if you want changes to the compression / damping profile.

Eric
E_Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 01:43 PM   #18

I have a set sitting in my shed waiting for my 2022 37M to get finished with warranty work at NIRVC and then I will have mine on. I can tell you that if size means anything these things will be incredible in that they are as beefy as you can get. FYI, if you are needing work done on your RV, the service department at NIRVC in Las Vegas can' be beat. From my dealings with them their ethics and honesty are the best I have ever dealt with when it comes to warranty work on an RV.
Utrzrdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 01:54 PM   #19

So that being said, I figured I'd give it a try. I put the Koni EVO 99B-3254 on the front of my Senaca M2. I would have tried the EVO's on the back but I had already replaced the back with the Gabriel's and my backend Sachs were completely shot. They were really not providing anything. Have to say the Gabriel's did help a bunch and I've happy with them, but will probably replace them with the EVO's next year.

[/QUOTE]

If you were to replace the rear are they the same shocks or a different model? I think I will give these a shot on the front as it seems mine are starting to fail.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 04:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
If you were to replace the rear are they the same shocks or a different model? I think I will give these a shot on the front as it seems mine are starting to fail.[/QUOTE]
Hi Paul,

Did you change the front shocks yourself? If so, can it be done without any jacks? I'm assuming an impact wrench is required.

Would like to do this in prep for our Alaska trip, summer '24. I'm going for the Gabriels.

Thanks,
Dave
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote