Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-25-2021, 02:41 PM   #1

Slide Out Catches on Wall... Fix??

I have a 2006 Seneca HD. The large slide on the drivers side goes out then sits down in position. When I go "in" with the slide, it catches on the underside edge of the wall cut out on top, and the motor bogs down until it "pops" out from under the top wall and then goes in. We have been remodeling, and this is a new RV for us. It appears that when it sits down and snugs into position, the lip of the slide goes under the wall just a bit. There is NO contact anywhere along the top side of the slide to the wall to keep it from going out too far... just on the sides. Looks like the top board of the slide should go further up to act as a stop.

Was wondering if anyone else has had that problem and what solution was used. I was going to try and put an "L" angle of aluminum and screw it to the top of the slide to act as a stop for the top. Can't believe this was an ongoing problem for 14 years and never addressed by previous owners.
mprosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:45 PM   #2

Are sure it's not catching on the gasket? There is already an aluminum angle behind the facia. Bottom rollers could also be letting iit drop down too far.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:34 PM   #3

Hey Grumpy, thanks for replying. This slide is on 2 steel bars with gear teeth on them about a foot from each end of the slide. There are no other rollers on the slide I can see. It rides on a nylon strip when it starts moving in. it's catching right in the middle of the slide. It goes out and then the whole slide dips down right before the end to its travel to lower the floor closer to the main coach height. The aluminum bar you speak of is below the level of the wall cut out and as such the top edge of that bar catches the top of the wall when it starts it's inboard travel. The only aluminum channels that stop the slide travel I can see and the ones on the sides. The slides first movement is angled up and then in. The gasket in fact does not even touch the top roof of the slide... it's like they cut the wall opening too big at the top.

Unrelated to the wall catching issue, when I brought the slide in last night in advance of storms, there was a pool of water on top of the slide and when it was almost in, it dumped about a gallon of water into the coach at the back. Wouldn't you assume that the gasket should have swept that water out? First time that has happened. I know the toppers need to be replaced... that one dips in the middle and actually holds water on top. But I also thought... wrongly apparently, that as the topper rolls up, any water on top should be washed over the rolled up topper and out the bottom. But that also could be full of leaves as I'm parked under trees and I see leaves hanging out of the mechanism that rolls the topper fabric.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:50 PM   #4

Has the gasket turned under and that is possible what is catching when you close it? It should be touching the slide roof when open and usually acts like a squeegee when closing.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:30 PM   #5

No, the gasket is about 1/4" from the slide roof. And just checked, there is no aluminum channel on the top of the slide. The roof rubber membrane just comes up and over and tucks behind some sort of bar and the wood of the slide is what is supposed to stop it at the wall.

I did try the aluminum L angle stock and that worked. Now the angle stops the slide from getting stuck under the lip of the wall.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:51 PM   #6

I have 2006 Seneca 35GS. I'm having exactly the same problem with my large slide. I've tried to determine the problem but can't find it. What is happening with mine is the rear end of the slide is low. That makes the top of the wall rub going in and out. Mine will go out better than in. Going in it tries to hang and pops. It really concerns me I'm afraid I will get out and not be able to get it back in. I just have not been able to find why it''s low.
jcneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:54 PM   #7

Also i have the water problem too but i think it's because one end is low.
jcneth is offline   Reply With Quote