Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2021, 08:38 PM   #1
jdd

Smart TV

We have a 2017 37TS and would like to upgrade the front tv to a smart tv. Any suggestions on a good "RV" smart tv?

Thanks,

jdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:47 PM   #2

We don't have a smart tv in our camper but have 2 Samsung's and an LG at home and both brands perform very well.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 09:56 PM   #3

I installed a smart DVD instead of a smart TVs. Works great.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 04:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
I installed a smart DVD instead of a smart TVs. Works great.
That is a great idea. We have yet to pick up our new Pinnacle that comes with 3 "dumb" TV's. I had totally forgotten that most decent DVD players come with most of the "smart" features in them. lots cheaper than replacing the TV's. Thanks
Old 06-28-2021, 05:01 AM   #5

We've had smart tv's and DVD's and they tend to drop services (channels) as they get older. We got tired of that, and now use Roku for streaming. It costs something like $29 (one time cost for the device- no monthly fee) per tv. Does the same thing as "smart" tv does, only much more reliably. (A similar brand is firestick) It works great, and we will not be buying any more smart tvs.
Old 06-28-2021, 05:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
We've had smart tv's and they tend to drop services (channels) as they get older. We got tired of that, and now use Roku for streaming. It costs something like $29 (one time cost for the device- no monthly fee) per tv. Does the same thing as "smart" tv does, only much more reliably. (A similar brand is firestick) It works great, and we will not be buying any more smart tvs.
another great choice. Our daughter has used the Firestick, we haven't, maybe time for her to "teach" us about using it. I am guessing the "stick" can be moved from TV to TV, although probably a pain to do so. We will end up with a cheap BluRay DVD player as well as we have lots of old movies we like to watch from time to time. Thanks
Old 06-28-2021, 05:42 AM   #7

Forgive the "dumb" questions but we are or will be brand new at the RV life once we get our unit. besides Boondocking and such, do most RV parks have Wi-Fi? trying to stream from a phone hotspot can be less than ideal. This should change once 5G becomes available.
Old 06-28-2021, 07:16 AM   #8

Roku requires a much stronger internet signal than my Sony DVD player. Went through that issue a couple nights on this trip at different parks.

I have both as well as an Amazon fire stick and use what works best at the time.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
Old 06-28-2021, 07:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
Forgive the "dumb" questions but we are or will be brand new at the RV life once we get our unit. besides Boondocking and such, do most RV parks have Wi-Fi? trying to stream from a phone hotspot can be less than ideal. This should change once 5G becomes available.
The park we spent the night at last night claims they have the best internet connection in the country. Total, unadulterated BS. Had to use a iPhone hotspot to watch some tube. We are parked 100 feet from the parks repeater.
Old 06-28-2021, 07:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
The park we spent the night at last night claims they have the best internet connection in the country. Total, unadulterated BS. Had to use a iPhone hotspot to watch some tube. We are parked 100 feet from the parks repeater.
That is not reassuring, lol.
Old 06-28-2021, 08:31 AM   #11
jdd

Thanks for all the replies and ideas. We will try them before (or if ever) buy new TV's.

jdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Almost ALL RV campgrounds say they have Wi-Fi. And they do, however, the internet on the backend is ALWAYS lacking.
Instagram @wanderingpeaches
www.youtube.com/@wanderingpeaches
repeach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:36 AM   #13

most park internet is just for checking email and low bandwidth serfing, not for streaming anything,,
Old 06-28-2021, 10:55 AM   #14

We were at Bennett Springs State Park in Missouri last weekend and I was amazed how good their internet was, full signal, no buffering. The wife was able to stream whatever she wanted while we were trout fishing. The day she came to the stream with us she was able to connect her iPad with no problem, until she sat on it and shattered the screen!
mharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 11:02 AM   #15

So, what are most of you doing as far as streaming? hot spots?
Old 06-28-2021, 11:08 AM   #16

Quote:
So, what are most of you doing as far as streaming? hot spots?
tricky.... ATT will allow hot spot on your phone, but for only 10G. after that you are done for the rest of the month.

I use a tethering software that allows me to tether my phone to my laptop. That does not count against any of my "unlimited" data.
Then I turn my laptop into a wifi hotspot. Then stream my firestick from my laptop. There is one serious caveat.... Windows 10 kills the wifi hotspot every 20 minutes, but I leave my laptop open and just click start again.

I have looked at getting a myfi or some other wifi/cell service, but why add the extra $50 a month when all I have to do is click start 3 or 4 times during a movie.
Instagram @wanderingpeaches
www.youtube.com/@wanderingpeaches
repeach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:21 PM   #17

We have 3 Vizios in our 2014 Seneca. The Vizio seams to have a lot of free streaming TV choices. I am at a campground right now streaming Hulu. Enjoy the summer.
tpastorini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 12:01 PM   #18

Quote:
That is a great idea. We have yet to pick up our new Pinnacle that comes with 3 "dumb" TV's. I had totally forgotten that most decent DVD players come with most of the "smart" features in them. lots cheaper than replacing the TV's. Thanks
You can make any TV smart if it has HDMI ports...just add firestick, roku, apple+.

Smart TV's are limited anyway. As the firesticks gets better, just trade it in and get the latest model, but you can't just update a Smart TV as easily.
Old 07-14-2021, 12:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdd View Post
We have a 2017 37TS and would like to upgrade the front tv to a smart tv. Any suggestions on a good "RV" smart tv?

Thanks,
We use the Roku sticks on all tv's and as long as you have Wi fi it works great.
They will also work off of a cellular hot spot. But most cellular plans only allow 15 Gigs of hi speed data per month. And Hi speed data is required.
So smart tv would work the same way and not need the sticks.
johnboye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 12:32 PM   #20

I do Wi-Fi for hotels, arenas, and stadiums, and I can tell you that RV park Wi-Fi leaves A LOT to be desired! Realize it's a big investment for the parks to cover such a large area and penetrate metal/fiberglass boxes. Also, getting adequate bandwidth to sometimes remotes sites can be challenging. A 100 spot park with 75%+ occupancy with 3+ occupants wanting to all stream simultaneously requires a big pipe and a big fixed fee on a monthly basis. If anyone has some VC bucks they want to throw at it, I'd be happy to run point on a solution for my retirement gig!
RobShanVegas is offline   Reply With Quote