Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2021, 04:49 PM   #1

Soundproofing the doghouse!

My wife doesn’t stop complaining how she cannot make a phone call in front of our class C. So I finally got around to ordering the sound deadening material to insulate the doghouse. Instead of spending the money on Dyna Matt, I bought “kill Matt” instead. Great product, went one fairly easy, came in one’ by two’ sheets. I didn’t think it was all that difficult to work with, a little tedious but I enjoyed doing it. And to “top” it off, I actually was able to put back the factory insulation on top of the kill Matt!

Big trip out west coming up the 26th of April. I’ll check back in for a 2nd review. Here’s a photo of the kill Matt, if anybody installs it, make sure you leave around a 3/4 inch gap all around the edge of the doghouse for the weatherstripping to sit back on flush.
Attached Thumbnails
7EC1B83F-91B4-425B-9940-CB32E512020B.jpeg  
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
My wife doesn’t stop complaining how she cannot make a phone call in front of our class C. So I finally got around to ordering the sound deadening material to insulate the doghouse. Instead of spending the money on Dyna Matt, I bought “kill Matt” instead. Great product, went one fairly easy, came in one’ by two’ sheets. I didn’t think it was all that difficult to work with, a little tedious but I enjoyed doing it. And to “top” it off, I actually was able to put back the factory insulation on top of the kill Matt!

Big trip out west coming up the 26th of April. I’ll check back in for a 2nd review. Here’s a photo of the kill Matt, if anybody installs it, make sure you leave around a 3/4 inch gap all around the edge of the doghouse for the weatherstripping to sit back on flush.

Looks like you did a real professional installation !! Let us know how it works for you.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 10:35 AM   #3

Quote:

How did it all work out?
Toad: 2016 Toyota Seneca
Toad: 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV

the_handy_dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 10:45 AM   #4

Worked out Awesome! Huge difference! I’m even thinking of removing the drivers and passenger seats and doing the floor, but it’s much quieter now so she’s happy!

If you do it be sure to put the OEM insulation back over the kill mat!
Old 01-16-2023, 11:21 AM   #5

I did the cab, inside the doors and doghouse on a 06 Gulfstream on the Kodiak Chassis. Made a huge difference.
Old 01-16-2023, 03:30 PM   #6

Quote:

What thickness did you use ? 80 mil or 50 mil ? Thanks ! Did just one pack do the trick?
916decker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 02:27 PM   #7

What size are the screws to remove the doghouse? I have a 2022 Alante Class A
Saglivid2772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 02:31 PM   #8

Did you just sound proof the cover or the entire cab?
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Jeepin Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 02:36 PM   #9

I used 50 mil, one pack was more than enough to do the doghouse. I put the OEM foiled insulation right back on top of the kilmat. I might have enough to do the floor, but just not physically able enough to remove the seats!

I have a 2019 E450 class C, it has Buckle latches, no screws.
Old 02-20-2023, 09:01 PM   #10

I haven't looked at mine, but how is the OEM foiled insulation held on? I have some kill mat type material left over from another project that would be perfect for my Greyhawk.
LukeDagny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 05:39 AM   #11

My better half has long felt that the engine cover and the cab area around her feet got too hot, as well as being too noisy. I used the 80 mil Kilmat to insulate the doghouse, and the flooring entire cab area.

Using an app on my phone I did some road tests to see where the noise was coming from. The biggest sources of noise turned out to be the door step wells, and the joint between the Ford cab and the RV body. When I removed the carpeting at this joint, I found gaps as large as a quarter inch. I repaired and/or patches these joints with flashing and a thin rubber matting and then covered everything with Kilmat. The improvement in the sound levels and the heat level at my wife's feet was remarkable. It was well worth the effort.
Old 02-21-2023, 07:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeDagny View Post
I haven't looked at mine, but how is the OEM foiled insulation held on? I have some kill mat type material left over from another project that would be perfect for my Greyhawk.
On my 2019 It was either molded in-place some how or stamped out in a mold, either way, it was just tucked in to the dog house cover, it came right out and went right back in. It has a fairly ridged foil face, facing the engine to reflect heat and to keep its form. Wasn’t a big deal to remove and replace, don’t sweat it.