Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2022, 12:45 PM   #1

Starlink

Starlink is now availoable for RVs

https://www.starlink.com/rv

Cheaper than cell phone systems (over time) and it is satellite.

I bot this mount

https://flagpolebuddy.com/ols/produc...2nd-generation

Home units are on extended back order. RV units ship right away. Got mine in a week.

Cool storage box that works:

Much cheaper than the $200-$300 storage systems seen on line
bobbyg45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 02:48 PM   #2

We have ours... and am heading out to Home Depot in a few minutes to grab that storage box...

I've set up the Router and Wired Ethernet port in our 'antenna, A/V cabinet with it able to run on our Genny/Inverter/AV-UPS for power. The thing is running strong !!!
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 03:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg45 View Post
Starlink is now availoable for RVs

https://www.starlink.com/rv

Home units are on extended back order. RV units ship right away. Got mine in a week.
Not around here, it isn't.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 03:20 PM   #4

Nice...we needed this thread

I'll be testing my 5g phone near Slopoke.... Williams AZ
If no better service I'll order the RV Starlink when I get home in about 10 days
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 03:26 PM   #5

They currently won’t let you take the home unit on the road and you can’t use the RV unit at home. The guy I spoke with at Starlink said they are working on changing that. Nice thing about the RV unit is you can pause it when you aren’t on the road. I can’t get a home unit for about 6 months but maybe that’s just Flagstaff.
Old 06-12-2022, 03:29 PM   #6

Hey SloPoke,

You have to do a bit more trimming on the outside edges of the packing material than he shows in the video so the legs slip into the slots. Very creative!
Old 06-12-2022, 03:35 PM   #7

You can use StarLink for RVs at home, just as I am doing now. The difference is that you will have “deprioritized” service. ~CA
Old 06-12-2022, 03:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
You can use StarLink for RVs at home, just as I am doing now. The difference is that you will have “deprioritized” service. ~CA
What area are you in? I see your posted location is “north”. Where is “north” for you? North for me is the upper tier of the U.S., and Starlink is a year away from being deployed for home, and their rv service up here isn’t deprioritized, it’s non-existent.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 03:52 PM   #9

Lol, It should be North Texas. I will check that when I am back on my desktop computer.
Old 06-12-2022, 04:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Lol, It should be North Texas. I will check that when I am back on my desktop computer.
LOL now I get it! Starlinks deployment is kind of spotty it seems, but it seems they are boosting up new satellites pretty frequently. But in the state our Country is in, I have bigger things to worry and fret about. We haven't been to Texas in quite some time, would love to visit again. Last time was a visit to San Antonio for my sons graduation from Lackland. Late 90's. Really enjoyed the river walk and the great tex-mex food.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 05:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Hey SloPoke,

You have to do a bit more trimming on the outside edges of the packing material than he shows in the video so the legs slip into the slots. Very creative!
You are absolutely correct!. ...

I needed to do some minor trimming on the exterior flashing of that moulded packaging, but after doing it - it fits really well. I also added a little foam filler on the sides of the bottom, to offer some more support to the outside edge of the tray that actually supports the dishy. Pictures to follow...
Attached Thumbnails
20220612_155912.jpg   20220612_155925.jpg   20220612_155929.jpg   20220612_155944.jpg   20220612_160013.jpg  

Old 06-12-2022, 05:20 PM   #12

more pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
You are absolutely correct!. ...

I needed to do some minor trimming on the exterior flashing of that moulded packaging, but after doing it - it fits really well. I also added a little foam filler on the sides of the bottom, to offer some more support to the outside edge of the tray that actually supports the dishy. Pictures to follow...
More Pictures are attached...
Attached Thumbnails
20220612_160035.jpg   20220612_160127.jpg   20220612_160149.jpg  

Old 06-12-2022, 06:02 PM   #13

Quote:
They currently won’t let you take the home unit on the road and you can’t use the RV unit at home. The guy I spoke with at Starlink said they are working on changing that. Nice thing about the RV unit is you can pause it when you aren’t on the road. I can’t get a home unit for about 6 months but maybe that’s just Flagstaff.

Neither of these statements are true. If you have a residential Starlink, you can sign up for portability and travel with it and it will work just like the RV subscription. Deprioritized when away from your home area.

The RV version you can use anywhere on the this continent that there is service, whether it is your home address or not. The main thing for the RV subscription is it is for those without necessarily a fixed residential address so the network traffic is always deprioritized.

I use my RV service both traveling and at home and it works equitably well in both situations.
sgtkersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 06:11 PM   #14

More for FYI:

This is the email I received May 23, 2022 and shortly afterwards (a couple of days) I signed up and received my setup in a couple of days after the order was placed. In this email they state that this service is available anywhere there is active coverage and also include areas on the waitlist (as I was and am still on).

I checked their maps and all of the US and lower half of Canada shows to have active coverage. In any case, they may not have this offer anymore or in certain areas so I am not saying they do, but perhaps so. There are instructions with a link at the bottom of the email regarding how to order. On another website, some users reported that they had to create a new account instead of their waitlisted account in order to purchase the StarLink for RV's. I didn't have that issue with my order. ~CA

https://www.starlink.com/map?source=rv

If you are receiving this email, you are currently on the waitlist for Starlink in your area. We are launching additional satellites as quickly as we can to expand network capacity in your region, and will fulfill your order as soon as possible.

In the meantime, we are now offering Starlink for RVs at any destination where Starlink provides active coverage. Currently there is no waitlist - all orders will be shipped shortly after the order is placed, including to "Waitlist" areas on the Starlink Availability Map. You can pause and un-pause service at any time.

Users can expect high speed, low latency internet in areas marked "Available", and notably slower speeds during events with many collocated users, or during hours of peak usage in areas marked as "Waitlist”, where residential users are prioritized. Prioritizing residential makes it possible to offer Starlink for RVs immediately with minimal impact to the most loaded portions of the network.

You can order Starlink for RVs directly from www.starlink.com/rv or by selecting the "+" button under "Your Starlinks" on your account page. To learn more about Starlink for RVs, please read our FAQ page.

Thank you for being a supporter of Starlink!

The Starlink team
Old 06-12-2022, 06:14 PM   #15

good to know and not what they told me when I ordered mine last week.

https://support.starlink.com/#
What is Starlink for RVs? Immediate access to high-speed, low-latency internet on an as-needed basis at any destination where Starlink provides active coverage. The service can be paused or un-paused at anytime. At this time, there is no waitlist - all orders will be shipped shortly after the order is placed. However, supply is subject to network and equipment availability.
  • We do not support Starlink use in motion at this time.
  • To read more on the limitations on Starlink for RVs, click here.
Related questions:
How is Starlink for RVs different than the Portability feature?
How do I order Starlink for RVs?
Can I add additional service locations or Starlinks to my account?
Where can I get service when using Starlink for RVs or Portability?
Old 06-12-2022, 06:15 PM   #16

Starlink needs a very wide field of view completely unobstructed. Any trees or branches are a non starter. Our dish measures about 2-2.5% obstructed view using their app and that causes enough issues that VPN for work gets dropped frequently. Is okay for surfing and video if you accept some occasional pauses.
1averageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 07:56 PM   #17

We have been using our Starlink for almost a month. During that time, we have tested the service in a different location every 2-3 days and capturing metrics of the service on a Mikrotik RB750 configured to log every dropped session to a syslog server.

While our tests are not complete, Early analysis is very impressive - even with the obstructions we have purposely introduced. (See pictures of purposely placed Dishy with those obstructions.)

Ours is originally purchased as a home unit, that we added the mobility feature. We traveled to Scottsdale AZ where the location we tested it in was listed as fully subscribed, but we did not see any difference in the service we received from our home location that is still taking new customers.

So far, our worst level of service was when we placed the dish right beside a structure, about 8' away from the wall to the North of the dish. If we placed the dish on the other side of that structure, we had almost no problems at all (even though the APP is reporting visibility as 4% obscured) We were still able to conduct two Teams video conference calls with as good of service as our wired Suddenlink Business Service.
Attached Thumbnails
20220612_183745.jpg   20220612_183841.jpg  

Old 06-12-2022, 08:22 PM   #18

Here is a cool website that if you choose your current location with the icon 3rd from the top right, will show you what satellites you would be connected to, along with other interesting settings such as your needed field of view. FYI, this is not from StarLink . ~CA

https://starlink.sx/
Old 06-12-2022, 10:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Here is a cool website that if you choose your current location with the icon 3rd from the top right, will show you what satellites you would be connected to, along with other interesting settings such as your needed field of view. FYI, this is not from StarLink . ~CA

https://starlink.sx/
Here is the one I use.

https://satellitemap.space/

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 11:05 PM   #20

I have been using Starlink at home and the Seneca when there was just “roaming” turned on before the Portability feature was added to the home unit and it’s been great. I don’t have a ladder on my Seneca so I came up with a mount that goes on the cab mirror frame using 2 quick release fire extinguisher mounts which also give you the ability to put a lock through the mount holes once attached. The Starlink cable on just Cat5e and I have it all set up so I never have to remove the cable using their Proprietary plugs that seem to be pretty fragile. I cut the Dish end at about 10’ long and added a RJ45 weatherproof plug on the end and then mounted the socket up under the fiberglass cab corner. From the back side of the socket, the cable runs right up into the tv/fireplace cabinet of our RB and has a RJ45 end on it and the router has a 3’ cord on it with a RJ45 and just use a coupler to hook it it. I designed and 3D printed the adapter for the dish to the pole and also covers to go over the base mounts that stay on the mirror frameI have my house set up the same so I can just unplug the dish cable and router cable and move to the Seneca in bout 5 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
3EC981FA-0E0F-488F-89F7-CEE0A6A3C773.jpg   FA9427D9-15FB-42B9-8549-032B2DE2ED65.jpg   7E67F70E-68AB-4139-8047-CD430AF9457A.jpg   F206C3DC-048E-46FC-9F04-D2BE0ABD7318.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote