Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-16-2015, 08:30 PM   #1

Question Super C

What is the diff between C & Super C ?
Two Love's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:55 PM   #2

They are both class C's but some like to split the class, calling those that are built on a medium duty truck or heavy duty truck as super C. I do not believe it is a true designation.
Old skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:08 AM   #3

The Super C's are generally larger, our's sits as tall as the Class A. Most also have a more powerful Diesel engine. Jayco Seneca is a super c, 13'5" tall and 39' long. Their regular Class C is 26'3" long and 11'7" tall. The Seneca is built on the Freightliner M2 chassis with the 6.7 Cummings 340 HP Diesel. The regular class c is built on the Ford E450 Triton gas engine or Chevrolet 4500 chassis with 6L Vortec Diesel engine. Pretty big difference between a regular class c and a super c.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:51 AM   #4

Specs show Seneca at 13'1" which I hope it is close as over 13' makes me nervous with highway clearances.
I see the primary difference in C and Super C being the diesel truck chassis allowing for larger rigs and higher weight ratings.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:26 AM   #5

My Seneca specs say 12'9". Have not actually measured it tho.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltW View Post
Specs show Seneca at 13'1" which I hope it is close as over 13' makes me nervous with highway clearances.
I see the primary difference in C and Super C being the diesel truck chassis allowing for larger rigs and higher weight ratings.
Most of the new FW are 13'5" with minimum highway clearance of 14'.

http://http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/ge...lclearance.cfm

As to "C" vs Super "C" there are both gas and diesel in both. JAYCO made numerous SENECA's on the gas KODIAK chassis.

The "SUPER C" designation was a marketing tool that one manufacturer came up with and it just happen to stick.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:56 PM   #7

Excuse my mistake WaltW, but you are correct, just a tad under at 13.08 tall.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:12 PM   #8

Grumpy, brands shouldn't determine the classification. I.E., Seneca was available as a C and Super C. The classifications seem to be consistent across mfgrs. Thor has the same brand available as C and Super C and distinguishes between them. The differences seem to be gas (C) vs diesel (Super C), and in most cases Super C's have big rig chassis like Freightliner or International... although Thor calls their Ford diesel MH's Super C's.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Grumpy, brands shouldn't determine the classification. I.E., Seneca was available as a C and Super C. The classifications seem to be consistent across mfgrs. Thor has the same brand available as C and Super C and distinguishes between them. The differences seem to be gas (C) vs diesel (Super C), and in most cases Super C's have big rig chassis like Freightliner or International... although Thor calls their Ford diesel MH's Super C's.
SENECA's were never in two different classifications. When JAYCO came out with the first gas KODIAK chassis "C" they were called GREYHAWKS, that name was changed on that gas chassis (in a very short time) and it was moved to the SENECA line-up.

SENECA HG, was gas and the SENECA HD was diesel. SENECA ZX was the toyhauler.

If you currently look at JAYCO's web-site there is "NO"mention of SUPER C the Redhawk, Greyhawk and Seneca are all listed under " C" it is not a RVIA classification what so ever. The term "C" refers to any cab and chassis conversion, not chassis size.

The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association: RV Types & Prices

The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association: Type C Motorhomes Please note the price range
Old 08-19-2015, 10:44 AM   #10

You are correct Grumpy. But when you ask and search for Super C motorhomes the Seneca comes up. Sales people are also calling them Super C's and yes it is because since 2012 they have been building them on the Freightliner M2 Chassis. All Class C's that I have ever seen or read about on that type chassis are called super c. The chassis and size are a big difference.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JayBirds View Post
You are correct Grumpy. But when you ask and search for Super C motorhomes the Seneca comes up. Sales people are also calling them Super C's and yes it is because since 2012 they have been building them on the Freightliner M2 Chassis.
All the KODIAK based units since 2004/2005 JAYCO, DUTCHMAN, ENDURA, were also referred to as a "SUPER C", I had one. As I originally said it was not a RVIA designation, but a marketing tool/name that stuck.

It has nothing to do with the chassis change from KODIAK to FREIGHTLINER. I was actually at a meeting in 2010 with the Director of Product Design from JAYCO and other KODIAK based SENECA/ENDURA owners after the demise of the KODIAK chassis. We saw the first FREIGHTLINER chassis they brought in so they could start their design work.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:07 PM   #12

Grumpy, is your response to the OP’s question that there are no differences? Your response suggests that we can’t describe a “toy hauler”, type A gasser vs diesel pusher, etc.

Let’s put the semantics aside, OP deserves an answer to his question.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:38 PM   #13

Quote:

Let’s put the semantics aside, OP deserves an answer to his question.
Old Skipper did answer his question in post #2.

You made the comment that it was the diesel engine and as I said there are so called Super C's that are gas, JAYCO made some, as there are also E-450 based "C"s that are diesel.

2JayBirds said it was the change to FREIGHTLINER.

THOR is currently marketing a "SUPER C" that is on an F-550 chassis and it is not much larger than many E-450 based "C"s.

Don't you think JAYCO would list the SENECA as a "SUPER C" if that was a true designation?

There is a group on YAHOO that has anything from the KODIAKS to HAULMARKS, which by the way are called just Motor Coaches by Haulmark and they are really big truck conversions.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/SuperCrvgroup

So it is actually semantics.

All of my responses were to give the OP correct and accurate info.

Please tell me what info I posted that was incorrect.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:27 AM   #14

What my post actually implied was that Super C's were larger in size like the Seneca on its Freightliner Chassis and most had the larger more powerful Diesel engines than the regular Class C's. Which is true. Nothing meant to be arugumentive here, just trying to give a decent answer to the original poster. The Super C's are larger and more powerful that the regular C's.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:39 PM   #15

Dan, do you still have your Seneca? How are they on towing? Any problems?
Janiemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:41 PM   #16

We are looking at a Seneca. Any problems with towing with them? Do they tow good?
Old 08-11-2017, 04:05 PM   #17

The industry colloquially refers to Class C motorhomes on a medium duty truck chassis as a Super C. Not RVIA, but dealers, service locations, and the people who own them. It's not limited to any brand, as there are maybe half a dozen manufacturers who have used/do use medium truck chassis to create at least one series of their C Class platform. Some used the Kodiak a few years back, some use Freightliner M2, some use Navistar/International, and some use Volvo/White. But all are at least a medium duty truck chassis.

In contrast, the typical Class C is built on a light duty truck chassis, typically beginning with a commercial van cab. They are usually much lighter overall weight, lower GVWR and GCWR, and shorter box length. Although, there may be some overlap in random cases. Mine is one of the smaller Super C's in the older Kodiak chassis version of the Seneca. Its GCWR is somewhere in the 26k range. Our unit, fully loaded, is just about 20k, and we tow our 4200 lb Jeep Wrangler Unlimited behind it. Tows like it's not even there.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:10 PM   #18

BTW, the older Seneca on the Kodiak chassis is somewhat shorter in overall height than the current offering. Ours is just under 12 ft tall, at 11'10-1/2" to the top of the front AC housing. I just measured it because I am making plans for a future barn to house both my Seneca and my wood shop, and maybe a tractor. I will need at least a 13 ft roll up or sliding door system to get the Seneca in and out.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:01 PM   #19

Sorry I haven't been on here in a while. Yes we still have our Seneca and loving it very much. Just got back from a 2week trip out to Yellowstone. We pulled our cycle trailer, 16' plus about a 4' toung pulling behind out Seneca 37TS. That about a total of 59' to 60'. It did great pulling through the mountains and hills on the roads. Passing everything in the way of simi's and rv's. Got 8 to 9 miles per gal on fuel too which we also though was great considering the load we were pulling. I hope by now you have your own Seneca and are out and about loving it as much as we do ours.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:22 PM   #20

The jamboree has a Ford E450, 6.8. The Seneca has cummins ISB 340HP. But it is also 38' 10 inches. We talked to a dealer on a Seneca and he said the Seneca would only be about 25 percent better at towing and power than what we have now.