Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2022, 09:38 PM   #1

Sway at 65mph

I currently have 2022 Jayco 37k and I'm towing always in mode and I tow a 2022 Ram Rebel a little lifted a little heavier and I'm also using the cargo space in the bed pretty loaded down but not overboard (bikes or glf clubs) just beach chairs and stuff like that on the bays of the Seneca we've been on about 10 trips and it tows well even up mountains but when I get on a straight away and get up around 65 I feel like it's floating and pushing me from Lane to Lane what am I doing wrong????
Cornpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 09:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornpop View Post
I currently have 2022 Jayco 37k and I'm towing always in mode and I tow a 2022 Ram Rebel a little lifted a little heavier and I'm also using the cargo space in the bed pretty loaded down but not overboard (bikes or glf clubs) just beach chairs and stuff like that on the bays of the Seneca we've been on about 10 trips and it tows well even up mountains but when I get on a straight away and get up around 65 I feel like it's floating and pushing me from Lane to Lane what am I doing wrong????
What tire pressures are you running? Do you find you have to frequently steer to keep it straight in the lane? Get blown around due to crosswinds and large passing vehicles? Many have found a quality steering stabilizer helps "calm" the steering in addition to helping maintain control should a steer tire fail catastrophically. Both Safe-T-Plus and Roadmaster offer stabilizers for our coaches. I have the Roadmaster RSSA and have been very pleased.
Attached Thumbnails
20210512_170434.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 08:42 AM   #3

I am running 110psi -+5lbs, not so much blown around as it is a feeling of floating around like the rear is fishtailing. Ive got the heavy duty tow equip and brake sys.
Old 07-08-2022, 09:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornpop View Post
I am running 110psi -+5lbs, not so much blown around as it is a feeling of floating around like the rear is fishtailing. Ive got the heavy duty tow equip and brake sys.
Have you weighed your coach as you would have it loaded for travel? 110 psi is the maximum pressure at full rated load for the tires. And I bet you are not running at max load front or rear. Michelin has a load/pressure chart that provides the recommended pressure for a given load and many have found it provides a smoother and less "busy" ride since you regain a bit of sidewall flex. I had Michelins originally and used the chart and found it rode and handled much better. I have had a TPMS system since Day 1 and never had a tire get hot running at the recommended pressure for my weight.

As far as the rear end movement are you certain you are not getting any steering "wobble" from your toad? Any way you could place a camera in the vehicle and travel at the same speed? I would not suggest having someone ride in it while it is being towed, but a camera might reveal if the truck is causing what you feel.

And can you have someone follow you without the truck with an observer to carefully watch your tires at speed? Maybe record it to make sure your rear tires are running true? A belt separation could induce a "wiggle" too. But if it is rock solid when not towing, I think you need to focus on the toad.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 09:33 AM   #5

I agree with Robbyr on having someone follow behind you to see what the Toad is doing and how your rear wheels of the RV are tracking. I am towing a 6,500 pound Wrangler that is highly modified on 37" tires, I even towed it with 39" tires for a few thousand miles and did not experience any rear end floating or sway.

Also make sure that it is not the road itself. Here in Colorado and many parts of the country, the roads are in poor condition and have ruts built into the slow lane from the heavy truck traffic. If I get stuck in those it does feel like the coach is wandering...
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Jeepin Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 11:09 PM   #6

It worked

Rob and jeep,

Air'd down for my trip home to 107 in the front and 110 in the back such a difference I don't know if it's just mental are you guys know what y'all are talking about but nowhere near the amount of sway on the way down thanks so much
Old 07-11-2022, 07:47 AM   #7

110 is the LIMIT. I'd air them down to 100 cold and I'm willing to bet your handling is even better.
EricM22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 09:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM22 View Post
110 is the LIMIT. I'd air them down to 100 cold and I'm willing to bet your handling is even better.
I am at 107 in front and back. I may try going down a bit. It is tough here in Colorado with the elevation and temperature changes when we leave the state.
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Jeepin Jason is offline   Reply With Quote