Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-11-2024, 07:27 AM   #1

Tankless water heater

I have a 2015 Seneca with a tankless hot water heater, Girard Model GSWH-1M. Once you set the temperature for the water, it will change temperatures from very to very cold without touching the cold or hot water knob. Any thoughts, thanks pat
Pat P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 09:51 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat P. View Post
I have a 2015 Seneca with a tankless hot water heater, Girard Model GSWH-1M. Once you set the temperature for the water, it will change temperatures from very to very cold without touching the cold or hot water knob. Any thoughts, thanks pat
Very common issue with that unit. It is VERY sensitive to water flow, too little flow and the water heats up too much which then triggers the burner to shut down. That is why it gets very hot, then a cold spike.

You need to make sure any restrictions are removed from that fixture so it flows as much as practical. Then to use - turn hot water on all the way, and only add a touch of cold if needed. Sometimes if the incoming water is cold enough you can just use the temperature control dial to regulate the water temperature without adding any cold. And you can't "trickle" the showerhead to conserve water while soaping-up or shampooing, that will cause the burner to shut down for sure.

My local dealer (in communication with Girard) could never get mine to be consistent, various parts were swapped with no improvement. So I decided to swap my tankless for a 10-gallon traditional tank-style water heater and I've never looked back. Consistent temps, even if I do trickle it to soap-up. And it has an electric heating element in addition to the standard propane, so in campgrounds I seldom have to burn my propane.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 10:35 AM   #3

As Rob said these units can be prone to issues due to in feed flow rates and temperatures of water feeding the unit. Tankless units use a heat exchanger which causes pressure drops across the unit so is there are other sources of cold water being used or even poor pressure from your pump or city water the temperatures can vary as these parameters change. Have you ever had your unit descaled? This is another cause of failures on these units as the scale build they have increased pressure drops and the scaling will reduce the heat transfer into the water. If you have not done so make sure your exterior water bay faucet is closed as that can cause the cold water to flow into the hot side and cause temp issues as well.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 01:28 PM   #4

It's a bit of a pain, but for a while, we "solved" the inconsistency by always filling the FW tank and showering from the tank. I just got in that habit.

Last week, I tried using 'city water' at the campground, and it was fine too.

Make sure everyone knows to NOT open any faucets while someone's in the shower.
Old 02-12-2024, 10:19 AM   #5

Suggestion. Set the water temperature after trial and error to the temperature you want when showering using straight hot water. So, if you like 110 degrees, set it, and use the hot only at the shower. This came from a manufacturers literature. Change the temp to what you are doing. Washing dishes, set to max.
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote