Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-31-2021, 12:32 PM   #1

Tire lifespan

I continue to read posts indicating that tires will calendar out, in 5 or 7 or even 10 years. After some searching I have yet to find a technical document regarding tire life expectancy. I'm not interested in sales brochures or salesmen guide lines. I'm looking for a document written by a subject matter expert in the tire manufacturing industry. IMO tire life is more a function proper storage, inflation , maintenance, environment, and care. I believe a physical inspection by a tire professional is more reliable than an arbitrary date .
Superseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 01:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superseneca View Post
I continue to read posts indicating that tires will calendar out, in 5 or 7 or even 10 years. After some searching I have yet to find a technical document regarding tire life expectancy. I'm not interested in sales brochures or salesmen guide lines. I'm looking for a document written by a subject matter expert in the tire manufacturing industry. IMO tire life is more a function proper storage, inflation , maintenance, environment, and care. I believe a physical inspection by a tire professional is more reliable than an arbitrary date .

https://www.michelintruck.com/assets...e_RV_Tires.pdf
Old 12-31-2021, 01:21 PM   #3
Site Team

Because of the wide variables involved in tire usage and care, I don't think any such document will exist. All tire manufacturers will have their own guidelines (if that's the right term) but will be dependent on factors out of their control, such as frequency of use, condition of roadways, exposure to elements, load, inflation, and a lot more.

Back in 2006, Michelin posted this TSB on RV tires.

[URL="https://www.michelintruck.com/assets/pdf/bulletins/TB_Service_Life_RV_Tires.pdf"]https://www.michelintruck.com/assets/pdf/bulletins/TB_Service_Life_RV_Tires.pdf[/URL
]

RVGeeks has a You Tube video, which probably has information you already know, but is good for some basics that newbies may not know about.

I wish I could've been more help on a specific document related to tires.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 02:02 PM   #4

Quote:
I believe a physical inspection by a tire professional is more reliable than an arbitrary date .
That's what MICHELIN has always said, but they do put a caveat of 10 years past the manufacturing date.. If you can't believe the people who make them then who else would be the expert?

If you want to put your life and family safety on the line "Go for it" and ignore the 10 years.
Old 12-31-2021, 06:08 PM   #5

I hate all of this. Synthetic oil change at 12 months with only 100 hours on engine.
5 years on tires with only 1000 miles on them.
Made from oil that has been in the ground for MILLIONS of years.
Old 01-01-2022, 01:21 PM   #6

All considering that our Seneca's tires started with sidewall cracking at about 5.5 years, that is part of a tire professionals inspection. We get an annual DOT inspection for our Seneca, and tires are included in that inspection.

While some may experience 6,7 or even 10 years, you have to consider all of the other variables that contribute to the tire life. IE: inflation, heat, UV exposure, overloading.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 02:40 PM   #7
CAG

Quote:

Good luck finding that document.

Tires in Arizona are going to time out (dry rot) faster than those in some other states. I use that because 3-4 years is the common "life" here. Tires that sit for long periods will die, and perhaps a violent death sooner than others. Tires that are on trailers receive some severe torquing when backing or turning as well as curb strikes that damage sidewalls and other parts. They die faster than a class A or C might.

You have to be the person that decide when YOUR tires need to be replaced and I seriously doubt that you will find some expert that is going to make that call for you.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 02:45 PM   #8
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffp60 View Post
I hate all of this. Synthetic oil change at 12 months with only 100 hours on engine.
5 years on tires with only 1000 miles on them.
Made from oil that has been in the ground for MILLIONS of years.

I don't think that oil in the ground is lubricating an engine. Apples and oranges.

You can run synthetic much longer and there are guidelines for doing that (take a look at Amsoil and extended changes) but if your new car says 12 months or 10K miles and you run it longer and the engine breaks be prepared to justify you choice because they will ask.

Tire are a different story because 1000 miles but 5 years of sitting in the sun and being moved a couple of times a year probably justifies new tires. You can run them longer if you wish but have good roadside service because you probably will need it, more than once.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 11:02 AM   #9

Tire timeout

That tsb. is very informative. I'm a little surprised that stronger language is not used. Replacing tires after 10 year " as a simple precaution " doesn't sound like a hard recommendation. I would like to understand the tire aging process. Do the chemicals in the tire degrade thru time naturally. Obviously uv is a tire killer. Underinflated tires overheat from sidewall flex. But what is the aging process. A better understanding could lead to better tire care.
As a side note, Michelin tire exhibit sidewall cracking far before 10 years in an rv application. Not sure of the root cause.
Old 01-02-2022, 11:56 AM   #10

Quote:
That tsb. is very informative. I'm a little surprised that stronger language is not used. Replacing tires after 10 year " as a simple precaution " doesn't sound like a hard recommendation. I would like to understand the tire aging process. Do the chemicals in the tire degrade thru time naturally. Obviously uv is a tire killer. Underinflated tires overheat from sidewall flex. But what is the aging process. A better understanding could lead to better tire care.
As a side note, Michelin tire exhibit sidewall cracking far before 10 years in an rv application. Not sure of the root cause.
This is a good read for you if you would like to get deeper into the ageing process. (starting at pg 98)

https://www.laroverket.com/wp-conten...d_Products.pdf

"Main factors causing reduction of material life are aerial oxygen, ozone, increased temperature and electromagnetic radiation, in particular from near ultraviolet and visible spectrum part"

"Consequently cracks are created across the stress direction. Accrued crack exposes un-attacked rubber and originally small cracks are rapidly increasing. "

In my words, rubber and similar products go through a decay process primarily due to a chemical breakdown known as "Volatile loss". This loss causes shrinkage and as the shrinkage in the rubber occurs cracks form, as the cracks form those cracks allow for further deterioration deeper into the cracks which exposes the rubber deeper and deeper into the tire to the elements that causes the cracks (which is why the cracks get bigger and you have more of them with time). All of this ultimately allows for the tire's support cords to become less protected from the elements which with time and usage these cords (steel belts or other material) can and do fail catastrophically.

Many people have tried and use UV tire protectants which can help, however UV is only one aspect of a tire's rubber compound ageing process and you really can't get it into the tires treads where it will last.

The only true option that could exist (imo) is a different material for the tires and a thought to share is that some tire manufactures actually do use different rubber formulations, however there is always a trade off when doing so such as the hardness of the rubber and its ability to provide comfort and traction.

~CA
Old 01-02-2022, 12:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffp60 View Post
I hate all of this. Synthetic oil change at 12 months with only 100 hours on engine..
(snip)

I agree and hate it just as much.
Even synthetic Amsoil says 1 year.
My $10k house genny MIGHT have 30 hours on it at the 1 year mark and it needs a LOF because Generac says 100 hours or 1 year.
Heres one better, my $3400 Ariens snowblower has barely 3 hours on it and gets an oil change every year. Doing oil analysis on that makes no sense because the amount of the sample would be like 1/3 the engine oil capacity anyway.
Like said, oil should be changed at least yearly even per Amsoil. However, I had oil in the engine of my 2001 Yukon for 4 years and it finally had 20k on it. Sample results came back stating run it for another 3k and change it. New snowblower and genny will get the oil changed at the 1yr mark and will be running amsoil and will stay in there for a few years, depending on hours on it of course.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 10:42 AM   #12

Craigav

Thanks for the information. Never considered electromagnetic waves. I actually learned something today. I appreciate the technical info.
Old 01-08-2022, 12:54 PM   #13

Life is constantly changing. "They" used to say change your oil every 3000 miles. But today oil is better and engines are built better. Even if you are still using old style dino oil my feeling is that 3000 miles is way too soon.

Now, as far as tires, I think that the quality is going the opposite way. In the olden days you could examine a tire and when you saw sidewall cracking you knew it was tme to change. Not any more.

ST tires are particularly crappy. I have seen 4 year old tires that LOOKED perfectly fine but blew up on the interstate. Look closer and see that they were actually 6 years old based on the tire code. Just to clarify, I'm talking about tires that were properly inflated. Everyone knows that low pressure will cause tires to fail early.

Personally, I replace trailer tires every 4 years, regardless of mileage and appearance. I won't take a chance at 65 MPH.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 01:01 PM   #14

Tire life

We put around 6-10000 miles on our tires every year.So My mindset is 2 years for new tires.That’s just my opinion
Julie&MarksJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 01:09 PM   #15

A few years ago we bought a used travel trailer. The tires looked great and obviously had very little wear. We lived in it so it didn't move much with us owning it. The state requires an annual inspection so I had to drag it over to the station that was about 3 miles away. I checked out the tires, lights etc and everything looked great before I left. By the time I got to the station, the inspector said he couldn't pass it due to tire problems. I asked why since they looked new when I left home. He showed me during that short trip I had lost a strip of rubber about an inch wide and 14" long missing from the center of the tread. If that had happened on the highway it could have caused major damage.

Thankfully, the tire shop was just across the road and I replaced all the tires. Moral of the story is do not trust a visual inspection on tires that are more than a few years old. There was no sign of cracking or damage and they still failed. Bite the bullet and replace old tires. The trailer we live in now is at the 5 year mark and the tires will be replaced before we take it on the road.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 01:22 PM   #16

Tires Replaced 5yrs

A set of 4!tires is less than a repair from a blow out and possible resulting accident.

I replace the tires every 5yrs regardless of how they look or how many miles are on them. For me it is best to be safe than sorry, and one less item to worry about. My choice, my tires, my money. Do what gives you happiness and comfort.
fillwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 01:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fillwa View Post
A set of 4!tires is less than a repair from a blow out and possible resulting accident.

I replace the tires every 5yrs regardless of how they look or how many miles are on them. For me it is best to be safe than sorry, and one less item to worry about. My choice, my tires, my money. Do what gives you happiness and comfort.
I totally agree. I had a blowout once. Luckily someone pulled me over before the tire totally failed and damage was minimal. Don't want to repeat that.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 02:23 PM   #18

I emailed good year in regards to this. Their answer is evaluate the tread wear first n foremost if that’s good you check to c if sidewalls are cracking. I specifically asked about the 4-5 year rule I hear in rv circles. They just reiterated what I said above.
Dannye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 02:36 PM   #19

It is unlikely to get a blanket recommendation because the manufacturer has no way to know how you will abuse them.
Trailers are subjected to stresses that do not exist on a motor vehicle.
In the last 50+ years I've never had a tire on a car or PU blow. I've lost tread or noticed a bubble, never a blowout.
My TT tire blew a tire with great tread at just under 5 years. I lucked out on the trailer damage, just some torn wires and broken plywood. I replaced all four of them at that time, originally planning on replacement at 5 years. Talk to a Discount Tire Pro and he can probably tell you why trailers are different.
My boat trailer blew a tire at just over 4 years. It only bent the fender. I replaced both.

Check out https://www.discounttire.com/learn/w...-replace-tires
and
https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-aging
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 02:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannye4 View Post
I emailed good year in regards to this. Their answer is evaluate the tread wear first n foremost if that’s good you check to c if sidewalls are cracking. I specifically asked about the 4-5 year rule I hear in rv circles. They just reiterated what I said above.
LOL

Of course they are going to say that. Did you expect them to admit their tires aren't as good as they used to be?

Goodyear made the best RV tire ever made. Then, they switched production to China and their tires were now the worst ever made. I understand that now they have switched some or all back to USA. From what I hear their quality is good now.

Makes no matter to me. My ONLY blowout ever was a chinabombgoodyear. They lost my RV business.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote