Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-09-2019, 10:48 AM   #1

Tireminder Install on Seneca

Good Day Seneca owners. Just received my Tireminder AiA TPMS and getting ready for install. Factory says to place signal booster as close to the rear as possible. Wondering if close to inverter or up by batteries will work on the Seneca or if I need to go aft to avoid interference. I will be towing a trailer with senders. Thanks in advance.
Gunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:16 PM   #2

I use rvi tire sensors and mounted the hub in bedroom cabinet behind the TV. Have not had any trouble monitoring any of the tires on the MC or towed car.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:50 PM   #3

We put the booster in the the compartment with the Fresh Water Tank. It is sitting on top of the fresh water tank, I tied into the 12v power that feeds the rear compartment light that came thru the side of the two where they are back/back.

It works very well where we mounted it.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:49 PM   #4

Thanks to both of you. Slowpoke I was thinking the same thing, either the light in the wet bay or tap in to 12V for water pump. light obviously better choice.
Cheers
Old 01-09-2019, 11:31 PM   #5

I use the TireMinder system on my Seneca and 2 years ago started having issues with signal dropout, I would "lose" one of my toad tires periodically but it would later re-sync. And it wasn't always the same tire leading me to believe it was not just one "weak" transmitter. It seemed to happening more and more often, so I contacted Minder with my issue. At that time I had one booster installed in the nightstand right against the rear wall of the Seneca.

When I contacted Minder a very knowledgeable Tech spend quite a bit of time listening to my concerns, asked about my rig and how my system was set up, and also asked when I had last changed the batteries. I had literally done it just a day before trying to fix my problem, but during the next day's drive it did happen again with new batteries in all 10 transmitters. They told me with the explosion of electronic devices out there using similar frequencies they (Minder) were seeing more and more issues like mine. Especially on longer rigs such as a Seneca. To alleviate the problem they said they would send me a another booster (free) and that I should install it somewhere mid-coach to help to "relay" the signals. The new booster was waiting for me at home when we got back from that trip. I elected to install it in the refrigerator outside lower access compartment and tied it in to the hot wire feeding the refrigerator circuits.

Since doing that I have had zero signal dropouts, except when I have just been taking my rig to have it serviced or taking it to storage and forgot to turn on the battery switch for the drive. I lost my back four tires altogether since neither booster was powered up! I quickly deduced the batteries were off so I stopped and turned them on and withing 2 minutes all tires were "back".

I was very impressed as to how Minder treated me, doesn't happen all that often anymore!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:44 PM   #6

Thanks for the reply Rob. I plan on trying the wet bay like SloPoke not quit to the end of the rig and will give it a try. For all concerned will report back on any problems. Appreciate your post as I now know what to look for it the problem you experienced crops up.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:01 PM   #7

Maybe I was not real clear, but our repeater unit is in the next bay back from the wet bay (consider it the same bay with the generator) but on the passenger side. We placed it right on top of the fresh tank next to where the vent / overflow hoses are connected to the tank. It was real convenient to wire for us, as there were handy 12v power cables right there.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:47 AM   #8

Thanks SloPoke. Weekend project.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:32 AM   #9

From all of the posts it seems everyone has installed the repeater in an enclosed compartment. Has anyone tried installing the repeater under the coach in a manner where it is protected but not enclosed?

On my prior coach I installed the repeater in the generator compartment (second bay from rear driver's side) and tied it into the 12VDC coming into the generator and a nearby ground lug. I connected it to a lighted switch so I know when it was powered on. I then attached the repeater to the storage compartment frame rail with the antennas pointed down. It worked fine when connected and setup for towing. I didn't get the chance to check it rolling down the road because issues with the TOAD's InvisiBrake installation prevented towing during that trip. I removed the system from the Challenger and I am getting ready to install it on the Accolade before our next trip.

Name:  TM Repeater.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  40.5 KB
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 01:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
From all of the posts it seems everyone has installed the repeater in an enclosed compartment. Has anyone tried installing the repeater under the coach in a manner where it is protected but not enclosed?
Attachment 55309
Yes...I installed mine on the back frame member and used the 12v license plate feed. I wanted to get it as far back as possible since I use a dolly and was concerned about picking up the signals from the towed vehicle's back tires. Works fine.
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 01:26 PM   #11

Thanks
Old 12-15-2019, 01:54 PM   #12

I mounted mine in the last small compartment on the passenger side and tapped into the compartment light wiring, also put it on a switch to turn off when not in use. This ended all connection problems for me.
Attached Thumbnails
79666432_630230534414897_5080261534467227648_n.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 08:19 PM   #13

As Robbbbbbbbbbby mentioned... we started to have occasional lost sensors on the trailer tires. When we called TM in april this year when we were in Kingman, they said that they have a new and stronger repeater - and sent it to us two-day shipping for free to the RV park we were staying at... (NO not at the KOA in kingman that we had issues with last year).

I pulled the old repeater (white case) and installed the black unit with two rubber antenna's in the exact same place (on top of the water tank in the bay between the Propane tank and the rear bay on the passenger side)

Now .. no issues with the trailer tires. It was all about the new repeater, and they upgraded it for us for FREE, and free shipping.

Old 12-17-2019, 07:35 PM   #14

I installed mine in the converter compartment under the bed. I run a 20' aluma trailer behind or tow a jeep. I've never had a single issue. The reason I mounted it there is because I just loosened the screws on the converter dc cables and poked in the repeater wires. Took all of 10 minutes.
Clayduster71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:23 PM   #15

I installed mine in the generator compartment next to last compartment on driver’s side of our 37K. Taped power from the light socket switch in wet bay. I tow a wrangler and have had no issues on dropped signal. I think my booster is the improved model since its black and has two antennas.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:35 PM   #16

Installed repeater today

I installed the repeater for my TireMinder TPMS today.

First when I crawled under the coach I noticed this

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel Tank Shield.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	57248

That is the steel shield that protects the rear lower portion of the 100 gallon diesel tank. A lock nut was missing and after checking it out it appears the nut and flat washer were never installed. This I believe is a Freightliner issue. I went to O'Reilly Auto Parts and they didn't have a lock nut but they did have a nut and lock washer which will work for now.

Name:	FT Shield 2.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	57249

For installing the TireMinder Repeater I found the 12VDC and Ground lugs on the back of the Onan Generator which worked great for the power connection using some 3/8 inch electrical connectors.

Name:	Generator power and ground lugs.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	291.7 KB
ID:	57250

I mounted an illuminated switch just inside the generator compartment door and zip tied the repeated to the trailer hitch.

Name:	TM Power Switch.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	57251

Now to install the sensors on this coach and go through the setup procedures again. The current setup is based on the prior coach.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:35 PM   #17

Smile Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamon View Post
Yes...I installed mine on the back frame member and used the 12v license plate feed. I wanted to get it as far back as possible since I use a dolly and was concerned about picking up the signals from the towed vehicle's back tires. Works fine.
That's a great idea. I was trying to figure out where I could install the booster where it would only get powered up when actually driving the MH. Connecting it in one of the back compartments and wiring to the light circuit would leave the booster powered on everytime you had the MH masterpower on, or you would have to install a switch that would need to be turned on and off which I know I would forget. I'm going to wire mine up in the next few days to the license plate light circuit.
Jab55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seneca, tpms