Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-29-2018, 06:35 PM   #1

Trailer Towing

Well, I've finally gotten around to setting up my 2018 Seneca 37HJ. Thanks to SloPoke for a lot of suggestions. The Camping World in Draper, UT left much to be desired. That is another post. I'm in the process of buying an enclosed trailer to tow behind the Seneca. I'll be towing a 14' auto, and a full size motorcycle. I'm looking at something in the 20'-24' range. Some dealers say to get one with the extended nose, for the extra space for the MC. Others say to get a flat nose, because with the extended nose units there is a chance for contact between the corner of the trailer and the Seneca. I need help!!!! This is my first motorized RV, and don't have a clue.
tomden2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:52 PM   #2

2018 seneca ts

we tow a 24' v nose that has 5' tongue lots of trailer turning clearance , flat nose trailers has to be optioned out with a 5' tongue over standard trailer, we have towed shorter tongue trailers ok ,long tongue trailers takes away the chance of hitting, I would recommend 5' tongue
tallcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:23 PM   #3

Tow a 28ft Proline flat nose race trailer. Plenty of room and the spread axle is great for weight distribution and pulls really nice behind our 37RB.
Pmcmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:42 PM   #4

While ours is not an enclosed trailer, we have on occasion gotten concerned that a tight turn would end up coming in contact with the ladder on the back of our Seneca. We have gotten awfully close.

Granted some of you newer Seneca owners don't have to worry about the ladder, but we do. Our ladder is only 17" from the hitch on the drivers side and sticks out 7" and lots of u-turns are always on the ladder side.

I would be sure and measure the geometry of the trailer you are shopping for - against the Seneca and how your hitch is set-up on the Seneca along with the tongue on the trailer.

Oh - and CW of Draper... we have not seen another Seneca on their lot since yours drove off of it.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 06:19 AM   #5

i tow a 24' trailer with our smart car and trike in it . i try to use the camera so i don't hit the ladder when backing
Old 12-01-2018, 03:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by groutman View Post
i tow a 24' trailer with our smart car and trike in it . i try to use the camera so i don't hit the ladder when backing
Ok, gotta ask! How is your camera pointed to be able to see the ladder?

Did you point it directly down? If we point it down to see the hitch, we can not see anything that is on the trailer. Is yours the stock camera with the Seneca?
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 04:32 PM   #7

lol i use the camera so i dont turn too sharply i cant actually see the ladder but i can tell when its getting close from the angle the trailer is in