Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2019, 09:04 PM   #1

Transfer switch

I bought a new 2019 Seneca 37fs has had some troubles only owned it 3 weeks ,my power will work off gen but not off 50 amp service checked all I can find with no luck dealer says transfer switch but where do I find it it's a mess of wires every where, also fill with water and head out have a constant trail out the over flows kinda dumb when you get where your going and have 1/3 tank left, and last want to put electric trailer brake controller in there is a wire in the plug but can't find anything behind the dash in that spaghetti bowl that looks like what is needed to connect to open to advice like the coach but not the dumb problems thanks for any and all advice
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:26 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum!

As far as your issues let's start with the transfer switch. Unless you are proficient with dealing with AC circuits leave it for the dealer. A bad switch is not common but also not unheard of.

The siphoning of water is very common and not limited to Senecas. Here is a recent thread but there are several more if you do a search: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...-me-67994.html

And regarding the electric trailer brake wiring it is there, the exact location seems to have moved somewhat through the different model years. You might try a search for that too. I do believe I saw discussion on that wiring on a newer S2RV chassis like your 2019 has.

Enjoy your new unit, I (still) very much love my 2014 I bought new!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:32 PM   #3
Site Team

I can only throw out a suggestion for your water issue. I put a pair of 1/4 turn valves on our overflow tubes. We have two FW tanks.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:25 AM   #4

I can't speak for the 50 amp version as I have the 30 amp one. I did recently install a 50 amp transfer switch in my son's trailer as it did not have one previously. It is not a magical device, just basically a fancy relay. I have attached a document for the transfer switch.

It is basically just a metal box with wires going into it. Mine is located under my bed in my 2017 Greyhawk but I guess it can be anywhere depending on what you have.

Once you find it you could easily pop the cover and look inside for a possible loose wire. If it is anything other than that, I would leave it to the pros.

If you decide to take a look - DO NOT HAVE IT PLUGGED IN TO POWER OR HAVE THE GENERATOR RUNNING! With no power you will be completely safe as there won't be anything there. With power applied there will be 240 volts which could kill you and also ruin your day.

These relay switches energize when the generator turns on and drop out when it is off. When it is in the drop out state it connects your power cord to the coach.

Lastly, are all outlets dead? The 50 amp service feeds half the coach with each hot line giving 120 volts at the outlet. If only half the outlets are dead then you have an open in one leg of the power cord feed. If all outlets are dead then either the transfer switch is bad or you have an open in the common wire.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Capture2.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Transfer Switch.pdf (1.31 MB, 18 views)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:46 AM   #5
Site Team

How the heck did my post to "Case of the Disappearing Fresh Water" get over here?
Can someone move it for us? Thanks.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:53 AM   #6

One thing we found with our bad Transfer switch... the Contacts were welded closed -

They were most likely damaged by having both AC units, the Fireplace and other electrical loads in the Seneca turned on. When the transfer switch engaged, the high current being switched resulted in a high current arc and the contacts were stuck.

NOW we make sure everything is shut down before we swap power from Gen to Utility power that makes the Xfer switch engage.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:55 AM   #7

Try to follow the wring. The shore power wires and the wires from the generator will meet at the transfer switch. This box contains the wires from shore power and wires from the generator which are both (IN). There is one set of (OUT). So depending on what the source of power is it will link the IN with the OUT.

So if everything works on Generator then the house wiring is fine. Maybe the shore power IN has become detached or there is loose wiring. You need a volt meter and some knowledge or buddy that know how to test. Not hard, but you will be around live wires.

Not unheard of for a Transfer Switch to go bad.
houstonstroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:01 PM   #8

Oh... and welcome to the Seneca family! I'll bet we cross paths on US-91 sometime.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:21 PM   #9

Welcome to the Seneca Family!

When you either start the generator or plug into shore power you should hear a definite thump of the transfer switch engaging, if not, then my guess is it stuck closed. Most I have seen in the Senecas are located under the bed, then under a removable panel. If it is this new, then the dealer should replace it if bad. I have attached a pic of the transfer switch under the bed on our 37RB.

The water loss like mentioned is pretty common across RV's, not just Jaycos and not just Senecas. It has been discussed many times and new threads come up all the time. Most threads have posts showing mods to take care of this and some just add valves the the vent lines. I chose not to use valves as you have to remember to open them when you arrive at your destination or you can collapse your tank and I didnt want to crawl under my Seneca every time to open them.

On the brake controller....Mine is a 2018.5 and I found them by removing the driver side kick plate under the dash and they were right there, 4 wires sealed with shrink tube. I have read that the 2019 models are under the dash just to the left of the steering column and are capped off but have labels marking them.

You will probably come across many issues with your new Seneca that are covered in the Class C forum. Before we got our Seneca I just went there and did a search for Seneca and read every thread so I knew what I was getting into. It took a couple nights but as things popped up I knew what was needed by all the great info posted on this forum!

Good Luck!
Attached Thumbnails
i-M9hC2dc-X2_LI.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 03:55 PM   #10

Transfer switch

Thanks to all of you I will get on all of that and try to figure out some solutions to the problems. Ya maybe we will pass on 91 or I 15 who know. We were in coos Bay a couple weeks ago and the dealer there fixed another problem that we had on our maiden voyage then we started finding other stuff just things that have to be worked out like any other new vehicle.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:57 PM   #11

The cool thing about the Seneca they stick out cuz they have a very bad a$$ look that turns heads haha amazing machines
Old 07-27-2019, 06:48 PM   #12

We had a transfer switch go bad in about our first year and like others, we make sure EVERYTHING, especially AC is off before we go from generator to shore power or visa versa.
I put the new one in myself, after it was sent to me. Its just a case of making sure all power is disconnected and exchange one wire at a time. I took before pictures to verify I was not screwing up.

Your Seneca is more like a house or boat than a car and it will take about a year to learn all the systems, that are important to you.

Its a large learning curve with lots of options. After 5 seasons and 67,000 miles, we know what we use and what we have never used. Still can't figure the reason for the Inverter and yet, some people use the daylights out of them.

Valves on the overflow after filling, when you go down the road. Open them after 24 hours and you'll carry the maximum amount of water to where you want to go. If you are going to carry full tanks of water down the road, you are going to have to re-enforce the platform the water tank sits on.

Ask questions, do searches on this Forum, the guys here are great! Somebody will help with your questions and help you figure out the solutions.

Welcome Aboard!
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote