Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-20-2019, 01:41 PM   #1

Truma Aquago Tankless Water Heater

Where do I find the rotary control dial for this water heater. I have never seen it anywhere in our 2018 Seneca 37TS. I have attached a picture of the dial in question.
Attached Thumbnails
059 cab_051.jpg  
Basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:37 PM   #2

If you have the Truma Basic you will not have that dial. We upgraded to the Truma Plus and the upgrade kit included the dial.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:08 PM   #3

Okay thanks, Just that it shows the dial in the Jayco Owners Manual
Basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:16 PM   #4

Just so you know, if you have the basic model you do not have freeze protection since the only time the WH comes on is when there is water flow. The upgrade to the Plus unit has a setting that keeps the water warm so it will not freeze.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:09 PM   #5

At first I was not happy with the Truma. We upgraded it with the Comfort kit and it is much better. With the comfort upgrade you have freeze protection like Mike said, you can Decalcify yourself and you get hot water much faster on the comfort setting......well worth the upgrade cost of about $300-400.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:45 PM   #6

Mike, correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m thinking you have the Truma Comfort model and not the Plus model. The Plus model is only available as an OEM installation and not as a retrofit since additional plumbing is required throughout the RV to make it truly instant.
Regardless, I replaced the original Girard with the Truma Comfort model and it is the best addition to our MH. Mine came with the dial so I can’t speak to that but there is one more advantage the Comfort has over the Basic. And that is when it comes time to decalcify you can perform the process yourself on the Comfort model whereas the Basic model requires it be done by a qualified technician i.e a Truma dealer.
If you can swing it, definitely upgrade to the Comfort model.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:13 PM   #7

The comfort model also has an option for an electrical heater for freeze protection while running down the road. I dont want to open a big debate on propane while driving but the truma manual says not to and they have a electric element that replaces the screen. So if you want to have that option it is available.

The comfort model is pretty slick. While the plus would be nice with the circulation system I added based on others here I have hot water in 3 or less seconds after an initial 45 second recirculation period.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice1951 View Post
Mike, correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m thinking you have the Truma Comfort model and not the Plus model. The Plus model is only available as an OEM installation and not as a retrofit since additional plumbing is required throughout the RV to make it truly instant.
Regardless, I replaced the original Girard with the Truma Comfort model and it is the best addition to our MH. Mine came with the dial so I can’t speak to that but there is one more advantage the Comfort has over the Basic. And that is when it comes time to decalcify you can perform the process yourself on the Comfort model whereas the Basic model requires it be done by a qualified technician i.e a Truma dealer.
If you can swing it, definitely upgrade to the Comfort model.
Yes, I have the comfort model. I had it upgraded a couple years ago. Money well spent. Just decalcified mine last week.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:31 AM   #9

+1 on the AquaGo Comfort over the base model. For a few hundred more, you gain a LOT of functionality and benefits over the base model.

We upgraded our Girard Gen 3 to the Truma Comfort a couple years ago and haven't once regretted it. We literally use the water in our RV just like we do at home.

It almost didn't happen though. I had to go WAAAYYY out on a limb to get her to write the check and all but promise the wife that if the Truma didn't live up to what I said it would, she could trade ME in for something else.

It only took her 15 minutes of using the Truma to actually tell me "out loud" that I was right for once! That NEVER happens!
Old 08-30-2020, 04:18 PM   #10

Not clear in this thread if the Truma Basic to Comfort upgrade is available as a kit or dealer only? Thanks
JohnAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 05:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAZ View Post
Not clear in this thread if the Truma Basic to Comfort upgrade is available as a kit or dealer only? Thanks
At the time I did mine, it was dealer only, Truma would NOT sell me the parts to do it. They said that it could only be done by Truma trained techs......and when I dropped it off they said they had never done one I tried pretty hard to get the parts but Truma just wouldn’t give. You can only upgrade to a Comfort model, the Comfort Plus is only available as an OEM install according to Truma. It only takes one more part to convert to the Plus but it’s is not available.

Old 08-30-2020, 06:45 PM   #12

Smile Basic to Comfort

Thanks, confirms my fears. I found the upgrade kit part number in the installation manual but internet searches didn’t locate anything. Noted on Truma website that dealer service in AZ is closed for COVID-19, so guess our winter travels will be close to I-10 this year... Thank you again for sharing an awesome amount of expertise and information with the Seneca community.
John
JohnAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 06:48 AM   #13

The truma site lists service techs that can handle to upgrade. That is how the service tech that did our unit was located.

The upgrade is very simple but requires a truma authorized person to do it. The hardest part is removing the unit from the rv as jayco installed a bunch of sealant and ran the propane through the side instead of the rear of the unit which made it so the unit could not simply be removed. Removal and reinstall took longer then the actual up grade.

I am hands a on person so I helped the guy do the upgrade.

The upgrade consists of removing from rv. Opening the cabinet and replacing water lines with a bypass and motor all either threaded or quick disconnect fittings . Motor plugged into control circuit board. Case is closed up. Interior control switch is installed in the rv and wire run to the truma. Truma is replaced in the rv and hooked up. The removal and replacement took 1
5 hours and the upgrade 20 minutes. 15 minutes to fish the control wire from bathroom to the truma unit.

Photo show inside of cabinet. Pipe and recirculation motor are located on the left side. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200419_123428.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	63030
Old 08-31-2020, 11:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
The truma site lists service techs that can handle to upgrade. That is how the service tech that did our unit was located.

The upgrade is very simple but requires a truma authorized person to do it. The hardest part is removing the unit from the rv as jayco installed a bunch of sealant and ran the propane through the side instead of the rear of the unit which made it so the unit could not simply be removed. Removal and reinstall took longer then the actual up grade.

I am hands a on person so I helped the guy do the upgrade.

The upgrade consists of removing from rv. Opening the cabinet and replacing water lines with a bypass and motor all either threaded or quick disconnect fittings . Motor plugged into control circuit board. Case is closed up. Interior control switch is installed in the rv and wire run to the truma. Truma is replaced in the rv and hooked up. The removal and replacement took 1
5 hours and the upgrade 20 minutes. 15 minutes to fish the control wire from bathroom to the truma unit.

Photo show inside of cabinet. Pipe and recirculation motor are located on the left side. Attachment 63030

We just need to find a source for that last part to go to the Plus model. Still would have to plumb a return line but that is no problem for me.

Old 08-31-2020, 12:51 PM   #15

Did you have to modify the opening to fit the truma in the girard's place? I just put up a post about my girard having flow issues. My fear is that my heat exchanger is plugged up and if I'm going to start writing checks, I'd rather not throw good money at a bad project and just replace the girard completely.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis02 View Post
Did you have to modify the opening to fit the truma in the girard's place? I just put up a post about my girard having flow issues. My fear is that my heat exchanger is plugged up and if I'm going to start writing checks, I'd rather not throw good money at a bad project and just replace the girard completely.

The 2018 models came with the Trumas so I really dont know. I would just look up the dimensions of the Girard vs the Truma.

Old 08-31-2020, 01:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
We just need to find a source for that last part to go to the Plus model. Still would have to plumb a return line but that is no problem for me.
I tried but the dealer said he had to provide the serial number to truma to order and if is not listed as a plus they can not order it.

I could fabricate the tee but I am thinking there must be a pressure or reducer to force the water out to the fixtures. As it is drawn on their web site it just shows a tee. The path of least resistance is going to be the loop in the unit not the loop through all the piping in the coach. Sure would be nice to have instant hot water.
Old 08-31-2020, 02:27 PM   #18

I ran into the same “serial number” issue. If I ever come across anybody with a comfort plus model I am going to ask if I can use their serial number to order the part. 😁

Old 01-09-2021, 07:10 PM   #19

the Truma factory in Elkhart, IN was very helpful and will schedule the upgrade within a week of your call. To upgrade from the Basic to the Comfort, with the added bypass is about $400-500 and will take about 3 hours , according to their service dept. Very helpful.
dneeld52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 07:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneeld52 View Post
the Truma factory in Elkhart, IN was very helpful and will schedule the upgrade within a week of your call. To upgrade from the Basic to the Comfort, with the added bypass is about $400-500 and will take about 3 hours , according to their service dept. Very helpful.
Well the problem is being in Oregon, that’s a long ways to go. It is just ridiculous that they will not sell you the parts to upgrade yourself, every other manufacturer will. The Comfort upgrade does not have the full return circulation line, that is in the Comfort Plus which Truma has said can only be put in by an OEM manufacturer when the coach is built, you can’t even purchase a Comfort Plus unit last time I checked.