Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2021, 05:52 AM   #1

Upper Outside Fridge Vent

We live in Texas and things are beginning to heat up. Fridge not cooling as it should, Norcold 1210 in a 2018 HJ. I was looking through some of the threads on the forum and as part of the troubleshooting took the side vent covers off. On the upper vent I was surprised to find this piece of luan covering 2/3 of the opening. Is this normal? Does not seem the best way to utilize a vent opening.
Attached Thumbnails
Vent.jpg  
allanlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 06:05 AM   #2

That is a baffle. It's meant to direct air over those fins. If you have a installation manual or download one verify the measurements for it's placement. Many others with a rv fridge with sidewall vents have installed 12v exhaust fans to improve airflow. I installed a 120mm one and it helps quite a bit. But, if this is a new issue there may be something else goin on. Gas operation ok? Electric operation ok?
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 06:17 AM   #3

Both gas and electric operate OK. We bought the unit used last August, noticed it possibly not cooling as it should in August & September. Then it started cooling off and I worked on other things in and out of the MH. I do have some vent fans coming and will install this weekend. Thanks for the quick response and insight on the baffle.
Can't thank this forum enough. I don't post often but read every day!
Old 06-11-2021, 06:39 AM   #4

Check and make both of the existing fans are working now. I checked mine and only one was working. I suspect all the heat inside makes them go bad too early. I bought 3 to replace one with 2 spares
Parrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 06:50 AM   #5

also,

I use a 4 sensor remote thermometer, one sensor in freezer, one in fridge, one mounted outside near hitch, and the main unit inside. Easy way to monitor temps.

Also, check your fridge doors and door seals, make sure they are closing properly. Our fridge doors were totally misaligned on a brand new unit which gave us fridge cooling issues. Dealer service department was clueless about it doing warranty issues.
Old 06-11-2021, 07:12 AM   #6

Thanks! What remote sensors are you using and are they bluetooth with an app? Or do you have a display panel?
Old 06-11-2021, 08:27 AM   #7

This is the normal build process. This design helps create a chimney affect to draw more air through the wall.

People have done a few different things to control the fan(s).

Here is a "thermostat switch". They come in a variety of temp ranges. Just look for a range you like. Some people just use a toggle switch to turn on/off the fans manually. Others use a combination.

https://www.amazon.com/Vicool-Thermo...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

https://www.amazon.com/Wathai-120mm-...dDbGljaz10cnVl

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 08:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
Check and make both of the existing fans are working now. I checked mine and only one was working. I suspect all the heat inside makes them go bad too early. I bought 3 to replace one with 2 spares
I’ve had to replace the rear fans twice. Without them the fridge can only manage “cool” when it gets hot outside, even worse when the fridge wall is in direct sun. Mine are not easy to access and require pulling the fridge to access the back side. Can’t even see em but was able to get a pic of them with the cell phone to verify they weren’t running.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 08:55 AM   #9

4 channel thermometer

Stand alone thermometer.
Search on Ebay and Amazon for-

BALDR Digital Wireless Weather Station Indoor Outdoor Thermometer w/3 Sensors

Around $30
Old 06-11-2021, 11:13 AM   #10

check out this thread

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ion-52173.html

I just ordered my fans and switch.
You might want to check the sheet metal on the top, mine directed the hot air around the fridge instead of out.
Instagram @wanderingpeaches
www.youtube.com/@wanderingpeaches
repeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
I’ve had to replace the rear fans twice. Without them the fridge can only manage “cool” when it gets hot outside, even worse when the fridge wall is in direct sun. Mine are not easy to access and require pulling the fridge to access the back side. Can’t even see em but was able to get a pic of them with the cell phone to verify they weren’t running.
That’s why I was glad mine has the vent at the top in the side wall and my fridge isn’t in a slide.Easy access to the fans.
Parrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:34 PM   #12

This my project for the weekend plus running an outlet from the microwave outlet to run the coffee maker without turning on the generator.

Thanks again for all of the input and ideas!
Old 06-11-2021, 01:18 PM   #13

You might have already did this, but did you clean out (with compressed air & a small pipe brush) the heating side of the unit? My 3 way fridge on my old slide-in / pop-up got to where it would not cool well on gas. Never knew to clean out that area. Evidently I was choking off the gas flame. Once I cleaned all the dirt, dust, & small spider webs out, the gas flame look like it should. I could then put some water in ice trays in the freezer when we left on the boat in the morning, & have ice for drinks when we returned at the end of the day. And that would be on summer days, camper in the sun all day, in Arizona.

I now know to clean that area out once a season on our new camper.
AZMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 04:58 PM   #14

Look on YouTube, check out My RV Works, Inc and search his videos for RV refrigerator cooling issues. He covers this topic very well and has some good demonstrations of what to do to improve slide unit refrigerator cooling performance.....I know because I have gone through the whole process and am happy to say I have no problems any more.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:07 PM   #15

I had the same problem with my fridge, the solution I went with was adding two additional fans right at the top of the baffle. This sucks the hot air out of the space behind the fridge which helps the existing fans down in the baffle which only push the air out. I tied the new fans into the fridge dc power supply and then rigged a toggle switch. I only turn the extra fans on when it's hot out. I can post pics if anyone's interested.
Cujonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:46 PM   #16

I added both freezer & fridge thermostats to my fridge, then a Fridge Defend with fan control, installed muffin fans in both the lower and upper vents. I also purchased 4 suction cup hooks and a section of shade cloth to make a cover for the sidewall when I am parked with it in the sun. My fridge has stayed much colder after these mod's. I think this winter I will install a 10cf compressor fridge, takes 12v @5A with its own small inverter built in, will add one more Lithium battery to carry it.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:54 PM   #17

Aroamer, where did you make fan connections? I want to put a fan inside, connect to outside exhaust fan.
Jeffp60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:57 PM   #18

I ran the power for the inside fan thru the condensation tube, and added a PWM fan controller as it was to loud with full power.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 01:32 PM   #19

Here’s what I did, I installed 2 of these fans on top of the mesh screen on the roof fridge vent, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P46D62Q/ref=cm_sw_r_oth_api_glt_fabc_628JST3KQX02BHTKX229

Then 3 of these, and attached to the cooling fins inside the fridge using binder clips. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071WMHNG5/ref=cm_sw_r_oth_api_glt_fabc_VS39198GH2GW5H2DR5Y5

They work great when fridge doesn’t cut out on me!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 01:39 PM   #20

But to which wire ?
Jeffp60 is offline   Reply With Quote