Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2023, 09:54 AM   #1

Washer/Dryer combo

I have a 2020 37TS and thinking about a washer dryer combo.
Are they worth the money?
Big Bopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 10:03 AM   #2

We use ours all the time...but look for them on Craig's List or Facebook Marketplace used for a fraction of the cost. I paid $250 for a 1 year old Splendide unit.
Old 03-21-2023, 10:11 AM   #3

Had 3 of them........two different homes in the UK and power boat......never like them as the clothes always came out wrinkled and wet. Have a separate washer and vented dryer.
Old 03-21-2023, 10:42 AM   #4

I have had one in my 2014 TS since 2016. Wife agrees it is one of the best additions we have done. In my TS you can only install a combo unit, no room for stacked. Unless things have changed that is likely your only choice too.

The secret to less wrinkles is two-fold. Don't overload the machine, and use dryer balls. They will "break up" the clothes as they tumble and help reduce the wrinkles.

We very frequently will start a load in the morning before we head out for our adventures and return to a clean, dry load. We also regularly start our towels before we go to bed, we can sleep right through it!

I forgot to add - Get a vented unit. Clothes are completely dry, and in less time too than in a non-vented (condensing) unit.
Attached Thumbnails
20230321_124108.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 02:16 PM   #5

As stated be sure to get a vented unit and understand that these are 110 volt units and fairly small. As such the drying can take awhile. We use it almost daily and then every two weeks or so we do a big load of bedding and at a commercial laundry. If you don’t load them correctly they can introduce quite a bounce to the rv. The units have an option to run all the way from wash to dry with out having to interact with the unit however we found doing the wash and opening up the unit to add dryer sheets and balls gives a much better result.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 02:50 PM   #6

Yes good addition, we use ours all the time also. Just back from a spring break beach trip and ran towels and swimsuits at the end of each day. Just need to do smaller loads as if it is overfilled the clothes are packed into the unit and come out wrinkled. Plus if it gets out of balance while spinning with too much of a load it makes a lot of noise and shakes the whole rig.
GollyGwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 04:11 PM   #7

Where did you vent the unit?
Big Bopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 04:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bopper View Post
Where did you vent the unit?
Here is mine in my 2014. My rig had a sticker on the wall inside the cabinet identifying where the hole should be placed. I drilled from the inside out with a 1/4" drill, then drilled from the outside in with the hole saw.

It was traumatic to take a hole saw to the side of my rig!. But it has been well worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
Hole cut in side.jpg   Dryer vent painted.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 10:21 AM   #9

My wife was dead set against the combo unit. I bought it anyway as I wanted the factory wiring/plumbing and venting and was not sure if the unit came pre-wired if you did not by the combo at time of purchase. I was also concerned that the thing would leak with Jayco's QC and would rather have it all covered under warranty.

Turns out it was good to have them install it as there were problems with the unit. They pinched both hoses so water would not go in and just dumped the dryer vent to the closet instead of properly attaching it to the vent. An easy check by reaching back with your phone and taking a video...

Anyway, my wife was pushing for me to remove it as soon as we received the unit as she wanted more inside storage. I asked her to at least try it and she ended up pleasantly surprised. We are keeping it in our unit. Takes a long time to dry as others have mentioned, but way better than running to the laundry mat.
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Jeepin Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 12:25 PM   #10

We put them in vacation rental cabins. Not an issue and without 220v it's the gift that keeps on giving for the renters.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 01:45 PM   #11

We have had both vented and non vented. As others have said make sure you get the vented and you will be very happy with it. My wife was the same way and said no way, but now she uses it daily when we are able to get away.
Utrzrdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 03:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
I have had one in my 2014 TS since 2016. Wife agrees it is one of the best additions we have done. In my TS you can only install a combo unit, no room for stacked. Unless things have changed that is likely your only choice too.

The secret to less wrinkles is two-fold. Don't overload the machine, and use dryer balls. They will "break up" the clothes as they tumble and help reduce the wrinkles.

We very frequently will start a load in the morning before we head out for our adventures and return to a clean, dry load. We also regularly start our towels before we go to bed, we can sleep right through it!

I forgot to add - Get a vented unit. Clothes are completely dry, and in less time too than in a non-vented (condensing) unit.
I agree with everything here!
Old 03-25-2023, 12:51 PM   #13

After losing 6 dress shirts to a washer where the previous user washed greasy and oily stuff before me. Then I had to rehash a load of clothes where the previous user dried their coconut oil beach towels without washing. So I bought a Splendide and have been pleased ever since.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 07:56 AM   #14

Being full-time a month now and using our Accolade 9 weeks last year, we've definitely concluded not having them is not an option. We average about 12 loads a week and it's been no problem at all.
DonkeyFluffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 09:47 PM   #15

The Splendid washer/dryer combo in our unit has been the #1 upgrade in our Seneca, verses our old Class C we travelled in. The wife loves being able to keep on top of the laundry while set up at camp. Happy Wife....happy life.

They are not large, so keep the loads light, and the dryer does take longer than traditional dryers.
Barxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 11:41 PM   #16

The usefulness of the Splendide is it can be used as the hamper. Next we can go outside, or seeing and when we get home the laundry is done.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 05:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bopper View Post
I have a 2020 37TS and thinking about a washer dryer combo.
Are they worth the money?

If you spend lots of time RVing, absolutely. I found a lightly used vented Splendidie xc on Craigslist for $75. Owner stated it didn't drain, but I bought it anyhow. I believe the drain hose was shoved too far into his drain pipe blocking the hose, it works fine for me. Yes, your clothes may be a bit more wrinkled. (at my age wrinkles are normal and don't bother me!) I'd get a vented unit, use little detergent and don't overload for the best results.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote