Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-01-2018, 02:26 PM   #21

Tankless WH

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLife View Post
Hello Seneca owners. Brand new Seneca owner here just picked up 2016 37FS. PO had removed the tankless water heater and installed a 6 gal tank Atwood heater with anode rod. Noticed that on my walk around with dealer. Dealer seems to think it was changed out because PO didn't winterize that part properly.
I may replace it in near future with tankless. Who likes their tankless over regular tank heater and any pros and cons to tankless other than constant hot water?
Oh My Gosh! Have you tried to wash hair with a 6 gal propane water heater, much less take a shower or shave? We purchased a tankless water heater about 3 years ago and LOVED IT! The propane is only used when you request hot water vs constant propane or electric to keep your hot water hot; if you are in a park or other location with a water hookup you can take an endless shower, just make sure your grey tanks are opened. We purchased a new 5th wheel in June and it has a 6 gal wh and I can't wait until we can get enough money together to buy another tankless.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:17 PM   #22

We have a Third Gen Girard III in or Eagle HT. I have found for me the best way to enjoy a tankless is to set the temperature on the controller at a comfortable level for the shower (for us 98 degrees). When you shower only turn on the hot water tap (no cold) the unit will control the water temp exactly to 98. Trying to adjust the temp mixing hot and cold is a real pain. I have gotten used to the tankless and I guess I would not go back to a tank model.

Pros: Never run out of hot water, The temperature control is great, As soon as your camper is setup you have hot water, when you winterize there is no draining the water heater.

Cons: You are always using your propane ( we camped over 50 nights this summer and did not have to refill our propane tank so it uses very little), If you have gas ignition problems there is no electric backup,

Just my 2 cents on the subject, at first I didn't like it but now I am fine with the tankless.
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:56 PM   #23

Tankless v tank HWH

We have a Jayco Precept. It had the tankless HWH. We didnt like it from the start. Water never got hot enough for dishes or shower.
We [actually Jayco volunteered] had it replaced with a 6 gal tank and are very pleased with it. Only issue is that 6 gals doesn't let you have a leisurely shower...but thats ok.
My recommendation.....a tank HWH
grandjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHiker View Post
When you shower only turn on the hot water tap (no cold) the unit will control the water temp exactly
Yep.

Even Girard tells you this is what you need to do. Use the temp control to set the hot water at the temp you want.

Then full hot water, do not mix in cold.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:37 AM   #25

Once I got used to my Girard on my 2017 Eagle HT I like it a lot. For some reason Jayco included it in the dry camping package? It uses very little propane but you waste a lot of water, every time you want hot water, waiting for it to get hot.
Pros: minimal propane use and unlimited hot water.
Cons: can't use RV park electricity and wastes too much water.
IMO if you dry camp this is a poor choice. If you are an RV park "camper" this is ok.
Idaho Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:45 PM   #26

Love my tankless. Most people that don't like them are trying to use them like a conventional shower system. The water temp is controlled by flow rate. I usually just turn the hot water on with the flame control knob at 3/4 and never touch the cold water. Endless hot water, no winterizing, and uses very little propane.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurv View Post
Love my tankless. Most people that don't like them are trying to use them like a conventional shower system. The water temp is controlled by flow rate. I usually just turn the hot water on with the flame control knob at 3/4 and never touch the cold water. Endless hot water, no winterizing, and uses very little propane.
Do you leave your water running the whole time?

2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:12 PM   #28

We rarely park where we have a campsite sewer connection so the thought of anything ‘endless’ involving water is ridiculous to us. Our Girard is being diagnosed now for a no power issue and we hope they offer to trash it so we can get a traditional tank WH. But only if it fits without major sidewall modifications.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:54 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
We rarely park where we have a campsite sewer connection so the thought of anything ‘endless’ involving water is ridiculous to us. Our Girard is being diagnosed now for a no power issue and we hope they offer to trash it so we can get a traditional tank WH. But only if it fits without major sidewall modifications.
Rick,
As you might remember I replaced my Girard with a 10-gallon Atwood XT HWH. One of the best mods I did, the wife and I are both very pleased and have never run out of hot water even when our grandsons are with us. But I did have to enlarge the opening but it wasn't that tough. The worst part was taking a saw to the beautiful paint job!

The actual compartment was large enough, just the opening needed enlarged. The original opening was "framed" with aluminum square tubing which was partially eliminated when the opening was enlarged. But I found identical tubing and "re-framed" the new opening without much difficulty. You need a frame around the opening so the new water heater's flange has something other than the RV skin to screw into.

The original gas line fit the new heater perfectly but the water lines did have to be modified. I have a PEX kit but if I had to do it again I would just use Sharkbite fittings. Working through even the enlarged opening was not fun! I also installed an access cover in the rear of that compartment so I could reach in to bypass the water heater for winterizing. And of course you need to run a 120-volt AC circuit to the compartment to provide for both gas and electric operation.
Attached Thumbnails
Atwood heater installed.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:58 PM   #30
Site Team

Can not speak for the TT versions, but we went through 2 (electric) tankless water heaters in our house. The first one would fluctuate between warm and cold while taking a shower. The second one also did not provide a desired temperature. Talked with support on both installs and made some adjustments at their requests, no change.

Wife issued an ultimatum, either I take it out and return it to Home Depot or she would have a plumber come in and do the dirty work for me ($$$$). Needless to say, I returned it to Home Depot and installed a hot water tank that has been working flawlessly since then. Wife will not hear of installing a tankless water heater in the TT, should the 10 gallon hot water heater die. We never had a hot water issue while showering or the wife taking her time and washing her hair for an extended length of time.
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:26 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Rick,
As you might remember I replaced my Girard with a 10-gallon Atwood XT HWH. One of the best mods I did, the wife and I are both very pleased and have never run out of hot water even when our grandsons are with us. But I did have to enlarge the opening but it wasn't that tough. The worst part was taking a saw to the beautiful paint job!

The actual compartment was large enough, just the opening needed enlarged. The original opening was "framed" with aluminum square tubing which was partially eliminated when the opening was enlarged. But I found identical tubing and "re-framed" the new opening without much difficulty. You need a frame around the opening so the new water heater's flange has something other than the RV skin to screw into.

The original gas line fit the new heater perfectly but the water lines did have to be modified. I have a PEX kit but if I had to do it again I would just use Sharkbite fittings. Working through even the enlarged opening was not fun! I also installed an access cover in the rear of that compartment so I could reach in to bypass the water heater for winterizing. And of course you need to run a 120-volt AC circuit to the compartment to provide for both gas and electric operation.
I know this would never be an option for our eagle. There would be no way to reach the water heater or the valves that would be needed to winterize it.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote