Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-16-2023, 07:03 AM   #21

There are quite a few 20VDC/120VAC pumps out there. Great if dry camping or in RV park. Amazon has a ton of them.
Here is one I've been looking at. Uses Dewalt batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/Mellif-Cordle.../dp/B0B1HW1X98

Here is a 20V/120V combo

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B12CG4MZ...2-330288d62e83
Old 02-16-2023, 07:18 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Harbor Freight... looks like they are on back order though.

https://www.harborfreight.com/plumbi...gph-63317.html

Flipping the screen does not hurt anything. Did it for years and the dealers do too.
I have the 12V version of this. I know the OP wants 120V. But I got the 12V, cut the leads off and wired in much longer ones so I can hook to the house battery or the chassis battery.

Agreed - flipping the screen just depresses the check-valve. I had to do this to get Country Fill working in the beginning. Over the last year or so, the check valve seems to have loosened up so I no longer need to flip the screen.

But like someone said, hauling 7 gallon jugs back and forth isn't much fun. I bought one of those old foldable Luggage Carts from Walmart some time ago. So I can roll the jug rather that drag it.

I've also invested in several hundred feed of expandable hose and one of those Hose Bandits. Anything to avoid dragging jugs hundreds of feet at times.
Old 02-16-2023, 07:46 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
I've also invested in several hundred feed of expandable hose and one of those Hose Bandits. Anything to avoid dragging jugs hundreds of feet at times.
I did that once and the park worker flipped out on me.
Because I didn’t have a backflow preventer.
I couldn’t make him understand that there was a check valve on the trailer and the tap at the post was spring loaded, and I had to actually stand there and squeeze the bandit tight while holding the spring loaded valve open to make the water come out.
He came back after and saw me carrying my jugs.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 09:16 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
Do you have a wet bay with a manifold/controls ? If so, Why don’t you flip your manifold to winterize and draw the water in your tank that way?
I have done that prior to the pump i have now, it's not that fast, also trying to keep the pumping time low to gain longer life span on the pump
01 mixson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 11:46 AM   #25

I almost forgot. If you want to pump as well as possible, and don't mind the price then Davey is the pump to look at. Reliable as I have been told https://www.daveywater.com/us
PipeFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 10:24 AM   #26

Same same with a twist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUP View Post
If you use your FW tank for drinking water, you need a pump that is drinking water safe. These transfer pumps like Ryobi are not safe for drinking water. Amazon has 120v RV pumps that will pump out a 5gal jug in 90 seconds. I made up a system for my rig because it requires a pressurized system to fill the FW tank.
This is the same system that I use. Same pump. I had been using 7 gallon Reliance jugs. I have replaced the jugs with a 325 gallon water tote. I use this is the summer as I'm living in my 264BHW BAJA travel trailer while I'm building an earth sheltered home in the Rocky Mountains.

As soon as I get a hard freeze I winterize my trailer and then use the 7 gallon reliance jugs.
Old 02-17-2023, 11:19 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUP View Post
If you use your FW tank for drinking water, you need a pump that is drinking water safe. These transfer pumps like Ryobi are not safe for drinking water. Amazon has 120v RV pumps that will pump out a 5gal jug in 90 seconds. I made up a system for my rig because it requires a pressurized system to fill the FW tank.
Pump and plumbing safety for drinking water refers to contamination of the water while sitting idle in the pump. For a transfer event so long as you waste a few gallons to flush the pump, the fraction of a second the water spends in the pump will not pick up any contaminants.
Ann-Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 04:43 PM   #28

We use to use a RV water pump hooked to a battery. The pressure switch had failed, but the pump still worked. I still can dump a 5 gal can into the city water fill. I am 63. I have 4 5 gal jugs and two 7 gal jugs. I will try it again this year.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 12:40 PM   #29
SUP

If the package or the manufacturer states that it's not recommended for drinking water, I'll pass on it. When folks ask a question, I just state my opinion on the research that I have done on it for myself. It's up to each individual to decide for themselves.
SUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 02:51 PM   #30

We carry a 35gal water tank on our trailer, sometimes two of them and use the country fill to transfer that water into our Seneca. Ours can transfer 35 gallons in roughly 10 minutes. If we go thru both of the 35gal tanks, we just take an empty one in the Toyota and head into town, fill it up and transfer it back into the Seneca once back in camp.
Attached Thumbnails
20200514_150216.jpg  
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 07:55 AM   #31

Filling fresh water not using any powered device

This is as close a thread as I have found for my question. I have 2017 27.5 RKDS with pressurized system and really miss my gravity fill on prior rig. I would like to put water in tank without using my 12v power or rely on 120v generator power. Using jugs is OK but I have flipped the cone screen to depress the check valve but doesn't allow water to flow. I have considered finding a line after the pump and install a gravity feed port.
Scycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 09:23 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scycle View Post
This is as close a thread as I have found for my question. I have 2017 27.5 RKDS with pressurized system and really miss my gravity fill on prior rig. I would like to put water in tank without using my 12v power or rely on 120v generator power. Using jugs is OK but I have flipped the cone screen to depress the check valve but doesn't allow water to flow. I have considered finding a line after the pump and install a gravity feed port.
I hear ya, owned 3 rigs, one with a gravity fill, I do miss it, but it’s not a deal breaker. Why don’t you want to rely on 12V siphoning, as if you would suck up antifreeze for the winter? This is how I sanitize my tank also. I mix 3Oz of bleach with a gallon jug of water and “suck it up”!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 12:15 PM   #33

If I need to do it while boondocking (which haven't done much of) it would use valuable power from the 12v system.
Old 08-22-2023, 01:31 PM   #34

Check your valve positions. There is a configuration for "Country Fill", which allows the FW tank to be filled. On many water utility centers you do need to flip the cone washer so it depresses on the check valve.

If needed, post a good image of your water utility center, I'm sure someone can help identify the valve position(s) to Country Fill.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 01:43 PM   #35

Quote:
I hear ya too.
But I think the line you find will be 1/2” pex, no good to splice into for a gravity feed.
Old 08-23-2023, 03:10 AM   #36

Yes Jagiven, I'll post a pic. The valve is either city or fresh and with it set on fresh and the cone washer flipped I tried to pour clorox in a short piece of hose and it didn't flow through. So I held up the short piece, so clorox didn't spill and connected my house hose to sanitize. I'm assuming this wouldn't work trying to fill from a jug with a funnel while boondocking.
Old 08-23-2023, 03:11 AM   #37

You're saying 1/2" is too small?
Old 08-23-2023, 05:01 AM   #38

Quote:
Yes Jagiven, I'll post a pic. The valve is either city or fresh and with it set on fresh and the cone washer flipped I tried to pour clorox in a short piece of hose and it didn't flow through. So I held up the short piece, so clorox didn't spill and connected my house hose to sanitize. I'm assuming this wouldn't work trying to fill from a jug with a funnel while boondocking.
When I set my valves to sanitize/winterize, it does not engage the pump and does not create suction. I have to flip my valves to sanitize only. Maybe someone here knows why?
Attached Thumbnails
B88CE421-9108-437E-95AA-95F573592953.jpeg  
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 09:16 AM   #39

I also used the factory pump and as others mentioned, it takes for ever. After putting in the air gap to prevent the loss of water in transit, I am not sure I will need to fill it as we don't boondock for more than 4-5 days at a time and my wife and I can generally make it that long on the factory tank. However, it does not look like it would be that hard to put in a gravity feed... I don't think I would punch a hole in the side of the RV for the intake, rather just have a larger diameter hose with a shut off valve that I could leave hanging out in the bay and just raise up when I needed to fill.

I have had success with these in the past, takes up less space and works with any drill...

https://www.amazon.com/Milescraft-13...5&sr=8-45&th=1
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Jeepin Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 09:28 AM   #40

Quote:
You're saying 1/2" is too small?
1/2” pex has fittings that go inside if that, so the opening of those is about 3/8”
You would stand there forever waiting for a jug water to gravity feed through that.
You would be pouring way faster than it can go in and just keep overflowing on the ground.