Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-19-2021, 08:21 AM   #1

What can you power with batteries on a 37TS

2021 w/2000 watt inverter

Courious what can be powered with just the batteries for boonedocking?
TV
outlets
enough for coffee pot?
microwave
water pump
water heater
Joeellsasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:28 AM   #2

Anything that is under 2000 watts if its connected to inverter
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:42 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
It also depends on the battery amp supply. Say, 2 group 24 RV batteries won't give you much microwave time.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeellsasser View Post
2021 w/2000 watt inverter

Courious what can be powered with just the batteries for boonedocking?
TV
outlets
enough for coffee pot?
microwave
water pump
water heater
How are you recharging the batteries? You can power a wide range of items but, for example, you might brew one pot of coffee and reheat breakfast in the microwave and drain the batteries.

Generally you can power your lights, water pump, control circuits for your propane appliances like refrigerator, and your furnace fan for a night or two.

Think of your battery like AA batteries. Eventually the power is gone.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:57 AM   #5

It really depends on what the inverter is connected to. On a Seneca I am not sure what circuits it is tied to.

If you have the residential frig, it will power it. It might be tied to the entertainment center. Maybe connected to an outlet(s) by the bed for a CPAP. I doubt it connected anywhere else in the coach. People do make modifications to power other locations.

The new Seneca's come with 4 6V batteries. So you have a decent amount of power reserves.

I did not see a water heater listed in the 2021 spec sheet (most of have missed it). I would suspect it is a gas unit, using 12 power for control power. No need for the inverter there.

Microwave I doubt is connected to the inverter. They pull a lot of power.

Water pump is 12 Volt, so no issue.

Seneca's do have an onboard generator, you can run for short durations if you wish you can fire it with a push of a button for coffee or the microwave. You can leave it run to recharge the batteries. You can also run it while driving down the road to power the roof top AC units on hot summer days.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 12:11 PM   #6

Someone mentioned that your rig has a generator so you should use that for the brief periods of microwave and coffee pot. This will also be charging the batteries while running so it is a win win.

Inverters suck the life out of batteries. Using an inverter for a high power device when a generator is available is counter productive. It would probably take a longer generator run time to recharge the batteries after the inverter use .

The generator needs to be exercised now and then to prevent problems anyway. If you are worried about too many hours on your generator you may want to consider a small inverter generator. Many of us use them. I love mine and use it to sometimes keep the batteries topped off after dark when my solar quits. We use the TV a lot with the inverter during the day and after dark. I don't let my batteries get too low. Definitely never below 12.1.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 12:32 PM   #7

booning

We have a 2014 Seneca and the inverter supplies 120 volts to the 2 interior TV's and microwave. A couple hours of night lights and TV on batteries will allow 15 minutes or so of microwave and coffee maker usage the next morning before generator. I added a plug from the microwave to the under-counter area that has an existing outlet so we can use an 800 watt k-cup coffee maker and never have a problem with amperage. Can't use the microwave and coffee maker at the same time.
Four Trojan T-105 6 volt batteries.
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoWest View Post
We have a 2014 Seneca and the inverter supplies 120 volts to the 2 interior TV's and microwave. A couple hours of night lights and TV on batteries will allow 15 minutes or so of microwave and coffee maker usage the next morning before generator. I added a plug from the microwave to the under-counter area that has an existing outlet so we can use an 800 watt k-cup coffee maker and never have a problem with amperage. Can't use the microwave and coffee maker at the same time.
Four Trojan T-105 6 volt batteries.
We are very similar...

2015 Seneca FK that powers 3TV's, Dish Receiver, Sat Dish on the roof, Microwave/Convection Oven and an outlet for our CoffeeMaker - but not all at the same time. As Jim stated too, sometimes your on-board Onan is a better choice - when it is at the right time too(not in the middle of the night)

When boondocking in areas where others will be disturbed at night with generator humming - Stacy will run on the inverter where she can watch TV/Dish for a few hours before bed, and if she needs to get up early, there will usually be enough battery left to brew a 14-cup pot of coffee. By then, the batteries will be near the point where they require charging. By 9AM, the generator will kick in and start to charge the batteries until they are fully charged. ** We use the Automatic functions of the Energy Command 30 **
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 04:38 PM   #9

Thank you for the information.
Joeellsasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
We are very similar...

2015 Seneca FK that powers 3TV's, Dish Receiver, Sat Dish on the roof, Microwave/Convection Oven and an outlet for our CoffeeMaker - but not all at the same time. As Jim stated too, sometimes your on-board Onan is a better choice - when it is at the right time too(not in the middle of the night)

When boondocking in areas where others will be disturbed at night with generator humming - Stacy will run on the inverter where she can watch TV/Dish for a few hours before bed, and if she needs to get up early, there will usually be enough battery left to brew a 14-cup pot of coffee. By then, the batteries will be near the point where they require charging. By 9AM, the generator will kick in and start to charge the batteries until they are fully charged. ** We use the Automatic functions of the Energy Command 30 **
I guess I should have added... we are running four 12v flooded Lead Acid batteries which are rated at 93AH each... so we are really capable of about 360Ah in capacity.

We have two separate batteries for our CPAP machines with a separate charging system... another topic all on it's own.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote