Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-04-2021, 06:04 PM   #1

What I’ve learned in our 2020 Seneca in the 1st 10k miles.

We purchased in May 2020. We have traveled from from coast to coast. Just pulled in from California redwoods from our home base in Dripping Springs Texas. Like most we started with a tent trailer when the kids were young to a tow behind, followed by a couple fifth wheels and finally our Seneca. Man I love this thing. So what have I learned? Feel free to chime in. Would love to hear from y’all.
1. When people say “ya that should fit down that road”, ....it won’t fit. Unhook your toad and see for your self first. Thank God we did up in Aptos Ca.
2. Be prepared with tools when things fall partially off your rig during travel...mud flap
3. Take your time with a rig this size. Travel time takes longer.
4. If you pull into a truck stop pump in the newer Seneca’s and have your toad, you can’t get def fluid before diesel and you can’t back up. The truck pumps operate fuel first then def.
5. The wife says she wants to learn to drive it, but when it comes down to it, she really doesn’t want to drive it.
6. Don’t always trust the GPS. Sometimes common sense...”wife” prevails.
7. The TPMS is sensitive. To hot, pressure to high, no signal.
8. The looks and thumbs up you get when people drive by it or you when you pull in to a camp site. People are drawn to it. We could all be sales people for Seneca in the field.
9. Finally, this forum has been priceless. We have learned so much on here from so many of you. Chances are if something has gone wrong you’ll be able to find the solution here. Appreciate everyone on here! Safe travels...
Dchafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 07:08 PM   #2

When I need def I cancel fuel first, pump def, close the pump, pull forward and then pump fuel.

When I need Def is one time I will use Pilot Flying J due to ease of use of their card and the def filling process.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 01:21 PM   #3

TPMS? Did you add that or am I missing something?

Jeff
jeffro01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:24 PM   #4

I use the TSD card at TA/Petro, and you can pump DEF first. You do it as 2 separate transactions and when it asks for "Tractor" "Refer" or "Both", you simply hit Next. You can then select DEF. Do your DEF transaction, put the pump up, and do a second transaction doing your diesel. The only bummer is TSD does charge 2 $.65 transaction fees which I'll gladly pay to save the hassle and $ on DEF.

I bet the same method works at all truck stops.

PS - If you don't have the TSD card, get it. Saves you a ton on diesel fuel.
lslblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lslblues View Post
I use the TSD card at TA/Petro, and you can pump DEF first. You do it as 2 separate transactions and when it asks for "Tractor" "Refer" or "Both", you simply hit Next. You can then select DEF. Do your DEF transaction, put the pump up, and do a second transaction doing your diesel. The only bummer is TSD does charge 2 $.65 transaction fees which I'll gladly pay to save the hassle and $ on DEF.

Actually the transaction fee is not TSD. The .65 transaction fee goes to the issuer of the card (EFS) while TSD keeps part of the fuel discount.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
Old 04-27-2021, 01:57 AM   #6

Quote:

THIS^^^^^^^x100

Get a TSD card and the EFS app. It will save you a pile of money on diesel and DEF. In the S2RV you will have to do DEF in a separate transaction because the pumps require the diesel to be pumped first if purchasing both, but it’s no big deal.
staineous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:26 AM   #7

Quote:

Need to try this. Now that I have a toad this has annoyed me a ton. I used to back up to fill up DEF.

This pro-tip needs to be a sticky at the top of the forum.
JohnRLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 02:29 PM   #8

The DEF first trick did not work at a TA when I tried it this morning.
JohnRLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 02:39 PM   #9

I have been able to do two transactions at Love’s.
ebarchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 07:33 AM   #10

I just did the DEF first at a TA/Petro in North Carolina last week.

Cost was 12.95 for 4.179 gallons. No TSD discount and there was the .65 transaction fee so total DEF cost was 13.60
Old 06-03-2021, 08:45 AM   #11

Sounds like you are getting the hang of it. Our results have been about the same after 86K miles in our Seneca, over the last 6 years.

As far as getting the wife to drive, try a rest stop to a rest stop on the interstate away from any city and construction. Also my wife of almost 50 years does all the parking and backing in to campsites, while I'm outside directing. She says its something about standing in the rain, cold or heat and I can't complain that the RV or camper is not in the exact right spot.

The Apps on cell phones are really starting to make the old style GPS antiquated. We still have one, but that against the MapsApp on your cell phone or tablet is really showing that real time accident and construction slow downs on the MapsApp is very worthwhile. Don't believe we will buy another GPS.

Yes, this site is awesome and is a daily check in. Especially while going down the road.

Thanks for posting. Safe travels!
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 04:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
Sounds like you are getting the hang of it. Our results have been about the same after 86K miles in our Seneca, over the last 6 years.

As far as getting the wife to drive, try a rest stop to a rest stop on the interstate away from any city and construction. Also my wife of almost 50 years does all the parking and backing in to campsites, while I'm outside directing. She says its something about standing in the rain, cold or heat and I can't complain that the RV or camper is not in the exact right spot.

The Apps on cell phones are really starting to make the old style GPS antiquated. We still have one, but that against the MapsApp on your cell phone or tablet is really showing that real time accident and construction slow downs on the MapsApp is very worthwhile. Don't believe we will buy another GPS.

Yes, this site is awesome and is a daily check in. Especially while going down the road.

Thanks for posting. Safe travels!

Are talking about map apps in general or is there one specific one you’re using?
Wandrews530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 06:34 PM   #13

Had to ask the Bride, its the Google Maps App.

I just use it, shows accidents, construction and slow downs. It can be pulled up on a tablet, as well as a cell phone. And it is a bigger screen than the GPS. No affiliation, just a happy user.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:58 AM   #14

Great report. For GPS, I actually use two - the Garmin DEZL for truck routing and bridge heights and Waze on my phone when underway for traffic and reported incidents. I find this very helpful to know what’s up ahead.

2014 Seneca 37FS
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
AaronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:09 PM   #15

I have a 2020 37l and have learn alot aswell. I have pretty much had it all apart fixing all the factory issues as dealer with the dealer has been a pain. I still wait on a warranty issue for year. Jayco is not the fault of if it the dealer doesn't do any follow up on each department. I feel I need to sit there all day a walk to the parts department to tell them to order a part cause service just send a email. For the most part I do like the coach. I enjoy driving the coach. I perfer it to my class a before it. There is just so many problems with it and warranty is almost coming to a end ��
seneca323 is offline   Reply With Quote