Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-02-2022, 08:14 PM   #1

Where's the button?

To the Winegard Connect 2.0
I don't believe I'll find the power button looking in all the normal places. I have the satellite button, but cannot find the wifi button.

Anyone know the number to Jayco?Click image for larger version

Name:	20220102_150406.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	78048
DonkeyFluffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 08:34 PM   #2

You need to buy a dish or direct TV receiver. I have a "wally" from dish
Timdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 09:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timdog View Post
You need to buy a dish or direct TV receiver. I have a "wally" from dish
The Winegard Connect 2.0 is a Wifi/4G antenna, not satellite.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 10:07 PM   #4

I have the Winegard in-motion satellite dish and the Winegard Connect 2.0. For the satellite, I only need to call DISH and have them send me another box and I'll be good to go. I'm waiting until I dewinterize it this Spring for that.

The Winegard Connect 2.0 Wifi should have a switch SOMEWHERE inside the motorhome. I simply can't find it.Click image for larger version

Name:	20211220_144947.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	78050Click image for larger version

Name:	20211220_145003.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	78051
Old 01-02-2022, 11:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyFluffer View Post
I have the Winegard in-motion satellite dish and the Winegard Connect 2.0. For the satellite, I only need to call DISH and have them send me another box and I'll be good to go. I'm waiting until I dewinterize it this Spring for that.

The Winegard Connect 2.0 Wifi should have a switch SOMEWHERE inside the motorhome. I simply can't find it.Attachment 78050Attachment 78051

I looked at the 2.0 a while back and looked through the installation. The switch is a rocker that looks just like the satellite one and the faceplate says Winegard Connect on it. I wonder if Jayco powers both off the same switch as the satellite?

When we added a receiver for ours through Dish, The Wally receiver was only like $55 on Amazon so it was cheaper to just buy one than to rent it. Buying one through Dish was double that…..things might have changed by now.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 06:07 AM   #6

Hopefully someone with the newer models can tell you where the button is. In the mean time did you check to see if the unit is powered up and they forgot to add the switch? You can see an LEDin the panel on the the unit if the power is on. Since it is just a power switch they probably did not run it all the way up to the front and just pulled the power supply from the energy circuit box. I would look around the area in the bedroom near the circuit breakers and fuses. It is possible they just fused it and never added the switch. Look in the area around the bedroom tv.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 06:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
Hopefully someone with the newer models can tell you where the button is. In the mean time did you check to see if the unit is powered up and they forgot to add the switch? You can see an LEDin the panel on the the unit if the power is on. Since it is just a power switch they probably did not run it all the way up to the front and just pulled the power supply from the energy circuit box. I would look around the area in the bedroom near the circuit breakers and fuses. It is possible they just fused it and never added the switch. Look in the area around the bedroom tv.
We have a 2022 Greyhawk with the Winegard Connect 2.0 and there is no switch. The mounting instructions indicate the switch is optional.

We turned off the coach power to replace the SIM card, otherwise it's always on. If Winegard CS tells me the switch is a better option, I will add one.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 07:51 AM   #8

The switch comes in handy when you need to cycle the power on and off to reset the unit. It can still be done by turning on and off the power to the coach. I think I have had to cycle my unit only once or twice a year so the switch really might not be needed.
Old 01-03-2022, 03:02 PM   #9

This is all info I didn't know. The manual speaks of the switch. Are you folks telling me that I need to have my RV running to have wifi, or just plugged in? Or maybe my inverter runs it?
Old 01-03-2022, 03:13 PM   #10

You do not need to have your unit running or plugged into power. As long as you don't have coach batteries disconnected via the disconnect the 12 vdc should be going to the unit. Sometimes the unit will lock up for an unknown reason and in order to reset you either have to interrupt the power a few times or climb up and press the reset button on the receiver.

The units work pretty well as long as they have a good signal. The only issue I have with mine is some rv parks lock their wireless down and require you to enter a pass word, this can be a hassle if you are not aware of what is going on, the other issue is when parks require you to re sign in every day or so as you have to go through the process multiple times.
Old 01-03-2022, 04:45 PM   #11

... agreeing with RVermont. Because it doesn't have a switch, it's always "On", but needs battery power to operate.

We used ours like RVermont for a short while after we took delivery. Later we opted to install a Verizon SIM card. We now have Verizon service everywhere we go (assumes a signal). If you prefer that type of service, check with your wireless provider to see if you can replace the stock SIM card. The Verizon card was free, BUT you have to have a separate line which is a monthly charge. It's great when we're on the road, and expensive when we're home and on the home network.

You're secure going through the Winegard even if your on a public network. The reason we changed to Verizon is coverage. Verizon has the best coverage in the areas we travel in. Public networks were frequently unavailable. A hotspot would accomplish the same thing and is more versatile. You have some choices to make.
Old 01-03-2022, 08:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
You do not need to have your unit running or plugged into power. As long as you don't have coach batteries disconnected via the disconnect the 12 vdc should be going to the unit. Sometimes the unit will lock up for an unknown reason and in order to reset you either have to interrupt the power a few times or climb up and press the reset button on the receiver.

The units work pretty well as long as they have a good signal. The only issue I have with mine is some rv parks lock their wireless down and require you to enter a pass word, this can be a hassle if you are not aware of what is going on, the other issue is when parks require you to re sign in every day or so as you have to go through the process multiple times.
Really appreciate that
Old 01-03-2022, 08:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
... agreeing with RVermont. Because it doesn't have a switch, it's always "On", but needs battery power to operate.

We used ours like RVermont for a short while after we took delivery. Later we opted to install a Verizon SIM card. We now have Verizon service everywhere we go (assumes a signal). If you prefer that type of service, check with your wireless provider to see if you can replace the stock SIM card. The Verizon card was free, BUT you have to have a separate line which is a monthly charge. It's great when we're on the road, and expensive when we're home and on the home network.

You're secure going through the Winegard even if your on a public network. The reason we changed to Verizon is coverage. Verizon has the best coverage in the areas we travel in. Public networks were frequently unavailable. A hotspot would accomplish the same thing and is more versatile. You have some choices to make.
I think I'll get a Verizon sim card by this summers month-long trip
Old 01-04-2022, 06:21 AM   #14

...for what it's worth. Customer Service response from Winegard: "Thank you for reaching out, Winegard recommends having the power switch installed, unfortunately OEM's are not installing them. Should not hurt the system to be power on at all times."
Old 01-04-2022, 12:53 PM   #15

In your photo, immediately to the left and right side of the coax jack are small buttons -- they are sort-of below each of the Green LEDs.

On my 2022 25R one turns on/off the WiFi and the other the Antenna booster.
ait109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 08:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ait109 View Post
In your photo, immediately to the left and right side of the coax jack are small buttons -- they are sort-of below each of the Green LEDs.

On my 2022 25R one turns on/off the WiFi and the other the Antenna booster.
Hmmm...I did notice two buttons. Gotta check that out. Thank you
Old 01-05-2022, 03:17 PM   #17

I'm having the same question about how to power up the Winegard Connect for wifi or 4G connectivity. Cannot connect to the unit for wifi or 4G. No separate power switch found like described in the manual. Have pushed the small button for wifi on the same panel that has the tv antenna booster and it lights up green which I thought would do it. When I scan for the Winegard SSID printed on the front of the manual it does not ever show up. Have tried on several occasions and have left the button on for several hours and checked again but do not see the SSID when scanning for wifi from my laptop or my phone. I haven't gone on the roof to check the LED on the actual antenna yet but it is acting like it is not powered up.
GollyGwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 04:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GollyGwiz View Post
I'm having the same question about how to power up the Winegard Connect for wifi or 4G connectivity. Cannot connect to the unit for wifi or 4G. No separate power switch found like described in the manual. Have pushed the small button for wifi on the same panel that has the tv antenna booster and it lights up green which I thought would do it. When I scan for the Winegard SSID printed on the front of the manual it does not ever show up. Have tried on several occasions and have left the button on for several hours and checked again but do not see the SSID when scanning for wifi from my laptop or my phone. I haven't gone on the roof to check the LED on the actual antenna yet but it is acting like it is not powered up.
Yeah, I'm concerned. It's a really bad weather week but I'm going to figure it out soon.
Old 01-08-2022, 01:33 PM   #19

Winegard Issues

I’ve talked to multiple dozens of people who also have the Winegard unit installed on their rigs, and I’ve only found 2 to 3 people (max) that has said their unit works. I’m not one of these tech challenged people, so this shouldn’t have been an issue at all to get it hooked up. But after spending hours on end (when I could’ve been enjoying the beautiful outdoors) I realized that it just plain doesn’t work. No one could tell me if I was doing something wrong, not even the dealership or Winegard support. To say that it is a WiFi booster is a joke. Once I connected my device(s) to the Winegard unit there was zero difference in the download and upload speed as compared to using the park WiFi connection. Does anyone else have any thoughts?

K Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 02:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Holbrook View Post
I’ve talked to multiple dozens of people who also have the Winegard unit installed on their rigs, and I’ve only found 2 to 3 people (max) that has said their unit works. I’m not one of these tech challenged people, so this shouldn’t have been an issue at all to get it hooked up. But after spending hours on end (when I could’ve been enjoying the beautiful outdoors) I realized that it just plain doesn’t work. No one could tell me if I was doing something wrong, not even the dealership or Winegard support. To say that it is a WiFi booster is a joke. Once I connected my device(s) to the Winegard unit there was zero difference in the download and upload speed as compared to using the park WiFi connection. Does anyone else have any thoughts?
This is what I've observed after using it several times:
- If the WiFi at the site is weak, the Winegard will latch onto that signal better than my phone,
- The Winegard only supports the 2.4GHz band,
- It is convenient for me to have preconnected all my smart devices (TVs, tablets, phones) to the Winegard and only have to connect just the Winegard to the WiFi network wherever I go, << This is probably the single best benefit.
- Change the name of your SSID to something easy to recognize.

Ultimately, some park WiFis are so congested that nothing works. If you can't connect on your phone due to technical limitations of the park (network congestion or too many devices on the network) the Winegard won't do any better.
ait109 is offline   Reply With Quote