Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-09-2018, 05:13 PM   #1

Winterizing Seneca

I bought a 2015 Seneca 36 FK this summer and now it's time to winterize it. Since it's my first time with this unit, I thought that I would ask the group if there are any insights or practices that I should put into place while winterizing? I plan to blow air through the system before adding the antifreeze. I live in central Ohio and need to do this.
Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you, Larry.
Roundtowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundtowner View Post
I bought a 2015 Seneca 36 FK this summer and now it's time to winterize it. Since it's my first time with this unit, I thought that I would ask the group if there are any insights or practices that I should put into place while winterizing? I plan to blow air through the system before adding the antifreeze. I live in central Ohio and need to do this.
Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you, Larry.
Hello fellow Ohio Seneca owner! I too blow mine out first, then I pump antifreeze. Belt and suspenders kind of guy I guess!

I first remove the whole-house water filter element, tossing out the element knowing I will replace with new in the Spring. Before I replace the filter bowl I hook up my regulated air supply to the City Inlet connection and blow out that short section of line between the panel and the filter. Then I replace the bowl and continue blowing out the rest of the system. When I pump antifreeze I first (again) remove the bowl and fill it with pink stuff, then replace it. That helps the pump pick up suction more easily.

Several "special" items to keep in mind. You need to blow out the icemaker line, and if also adding antifreeze, get it up into the icemaker. I have figured out a quick way to clear the icemaker line and can direct you to another thread where I describe that process if needed.

Do you have a clothes washer installed? If you do you need to follow the manufacturer's winterizing instructions. If it is a Splendide combo unit I can send the instructions for that unit. If you do not have a washer you still have water lines for it that will need to be taken care of. There is also a drain trap for the washer that should have some antifreeze poured into it like you would any other drain trap.

Do you still have the original Girard hot water heater?

Don't forget the outside shower out in the wet bay either!
Any other questions please let me know, happy to help.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:39 PM   #3

I see you have a 2015 FK, so like my TS the rear bed moves with the slideout. If you find it is a pain to lift up and attach the prop I can help. See here what I did to my unit: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...lbums1248.html

Let me know if I can help, I can supply the parts needed to upgrade it so it lifts easily and stays up on its own. It has worked for numerous other Seneca owners.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:47 PM   #4

Welcome from another 2015 36FK owner... Robbby called it out ... but don't forget there is a low point drain that is not very well marked, in the generator compartment next to the water heater. You have to open that one when under compressed air too.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:40 PM   #5

Thanks for the advice. I'm glad that this experienced group is willing to share.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:08 AM   #6

I have found I don't like using compressed air before pumping antifreeze. My pump is horrible at picking up a prime and a 'dry' system just makes my process even more of a pain. Instead, with water still in the lines, I remove my filter, replace with a short section of tube (cuts down on amount of pink stuff used), pump antifreeze everywhere plus a bit extra to be sure as little water as possible is still in the lines. In S. IL, we don't go much past 0 ever and that is only for short amounts of time, anyway, so even if slightly diluted, the antifreeze will still protect us. -Just my 2 cents.
memphis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:27 AM   #7

winterizing

Congrats on the Seneca, they are a great unit and welcome to the forum . I built this tool to blow air lines out first, I can set the pressure to my requirements and then just leave it hooked up to the compressor and go through all my drain points and interior components to make sure all water is blown out of system. After this I pump RV anti freeze through system and drain it all empty. Has made it through 3 winters in temps down to -35 and no problems in spring
Attached Thumbnails
air bleeder (2).jpg  
ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:09 PM   #8

I completed my winterizing yesterday. Everything went well. Thanks again for your help.

Robbyr, I have a copy of your long list of of improvements. It's great and there are many that I would also like to add to my Seneca. How can I contact you to talk about them?
Thanks for the info Larry.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundtowner View Post
I completed my winterizing yesterday. Everything went well. Thanks again for your help.

Robbyr, I have a copy of your long list of of improvements. It's great and there are many that I would also like to add to my Seneca. How can I contact you to talk about them?
Thanks for the info Larry.
Glad it went well! Were you able to purge the icemaker line too?

I will send you a a Private Message with my personal contact info. My online list is actually out of date, I have accomplished even more!
Old 11-19-2018, 01:38 PM   #10

Hey Roundtowner,

I have the exact same model as you, and am about to embark upon the same process (except I probably won't bother with the anti-freeze, other than in the P-traps... here in Seattle it seldom gets cold enough to freeze, so I'm going to do air only).

I have a handful of quick questions for you, if you don't mind answering -

1) Drains... where are they? I found some in the wet bay, but are those all of them? Is there a fresh tank drain somewhere as well?

2) Water filter... did you remove the filter + canister and replace with a tube (like I've seen in some photos), or did you just put the canister right back on, without the filter?

3) Ice maker... how did you go about draining / air flushing this?

4) Washing machine lines ... I don't have a washing machine installed, but I understand these rigs come with the lines pre-installed. Did yours, and if so, how did you go about accessing them?

Thanks in advance!
jposavatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jposavatz View Post
Hey Roundtowner,

I have the exact same model as you, and am about to embark upon the same process (except I probably won't bother with the anti-freeze, other than in the P-traps... here in Seattle it seldom gets cold enough to freeze, so I'm going to do air only).

1) Drains... where are they? I found some in the wet bay, but are those all of them? Is there a fresh tank drain somewhere as well?

2) Water filter... did you remove the filter + canister and replace with a tube (like I've seen in some photos), or did you just put the canister right back on, without the filter?

4) Washing machine lines ... I don't have a washing machine installed, but I understand these rigs come with the lines pre-installed. Did yours, and if so, how did you go about accessing them?

Thanks in advance!
Not Roundtowner, but I may be able to help!
1. Drains on FK I can't help much with as I have a TS. But I would bet you have a freshwater tank drain near the tank. Mine (on a TS) is in the compartment on the opposite side from my generator, up high behind the freshwater tank blocking panel. Don't have to remove anything, but I can't see it until I kneel down and look up in that compartment.

2. I have always just removed the filter element and replaced the bowl. If just using air I would remove the bowl, empty it, while it is off blow a little air to purge the line between the panel and the filter, then replace the bowl and continue blowing. That way you don't refill the bowl with the water in the line leading to the filter assembly.

3. I purge my icemaker by activating the water solenoid leading to the icemaker. The refrigerator is left off, I remove the two spade connectors attached to the icemaker solenoid (outside in lower access area) temporarily, and connect my homemade zip cord-style extension cord on which I cut off the receptacle end and substituted two female spade lug connections. To purge icemaker put several towels in that side of freezer to soak up the water you will be pushing out. Have your air connected to City Water inlet and have the "purge cord" connected to solenoid. Then plug in cord to 120-volt AC outlet to open solenoid. Don't leave it connected for more than 10 - 15 seconds at a time. A helper inside is handy to let you know that only air is escaping from icemaker, not "sputtering" water anymore. Don't forget to remove the towels from the freezer. Make sure purge cord is unplugged from AC outlet before you attempt to remove the spade lugs from the solenoid and replace the original Norcold wiring to the solenoid. Safety first!

4. Washer lines - You will have connections! On my TS there is an access panel in the bedroom wardrobe in the wall separating the washer compartment from the wardrobe. Looking at the FK floor plan it appears similar to my TS. Two screws remove the panel from the wardrobe side and should expose the connections. Before I installed my washer I would use a short section of hose hooked to the valve directed into a 5-gallon pail sitting in the wardrobe. I had a towel in there and would stick the end of the hose under it to keep any spray contained to the bucket.

Hope that helps a little!
Old 11-19-2018, 02:42 PM   #12

Here also is a picture of the icemaker solenoid and its connections.
Attached Thumbnails
Icemaker solenoid and connections.jpg  
Old 11-19-2018, 04:56 PM   #13

Super helpful, as always Rob!

I did find the fresh tank drain more-or-less where you described. It was indeed in the same compartment as yours (on the other side of the RV, in the compartment across from the generator), but after looking all over the place, I finally the valve itself integrated in the right-side wall of that compartment, down low (not up high as on yours, behind the tank cover). It was even labeled. Ha!

I'll follow your advice on the water filter, and on the washing machine water connections (which were in the same spot as you'd described).

If not too much trouble, would you mind also posting a pic of your spade lug / extension cord contraption? I think I can picture what you are describing, but want to be sure... I'm assuming I'd have to find a sacrificial two-prong cord, for example a lamp cord?
Old 11-19-2018, 06:02 PM   #14

Unfortunately my unit is at my storage spot so I can't send a picture of my actual cord. But below is a picture of the type of cord I used as well as an example of the terminals I use. I cut off the receptacle end, split the wires just a bit, strip the wires, and then crimp on the insulated terminals.

Terminals are available at most auto parts stores as well as home improvement stores. I use the insulated type so the connection is "covered" in the unlikely event anything would try to come in contact with the terminals. Also, even though the extension cord plug is polarized, it doesn't matter which way it is connected to the solenoid terminals themselves.
Attached Thumbnails
Cord.jpg  
Old 11-19-2018, 07:02 PM   #15

CRAPPPPP....thanks for reminding me about the ice maker lines. I winterized last weekend, and this past week got down to 25. I need to get back out there and get that done now, but I hope I didnt kill anything.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyRoRyan View Post
CRAPPPPP....thanks for reminding me about the ice maker lines. I winterized last weekend, and this past week got down to 25. I need to get back out there and get that done now, but I hope I didnt kill anything.
I hope you are good, it is a plastic tube so (perhaps) a little more "forgiving".
Old 11-19-2018, 07:27 PM   #17

That picture was very helpful, thanks Rob!
Old 11-19-2018, 09:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jposavatz View Post
Hey Roundtowner,

Thanks in advance!
jposavatz, thanks for asking these questions. You have reminded me that I forgot to check my ice maker and washer lines. I've been busy working on other projects. I see that Rob R. has added great direction. He has helped me with other items. Thanks again, Rob.
I see that you found the fresh water tank drain under that tank.
Tomorrow, I'll be using Rob's methods to do my ice maker and washer lines.
Also, check out lots of modifications others have completed.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyRoRyan View Post
Got all finished with winterizing and had a ccrrraaappp moment when I realized I forgot to do the washer.

One area that is concerning to me is the tank fill line as there is no way to have the pump put antifreeze in this line. Any thoughts on this?

Because we spend the winter in our Seneca, I installed a shut off for the ice maker in the wet bay so it does now receive water at all times.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:06 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGintys924 View Post
Got all finished with winterizing and had a ccrrraaappp moment when I realized I forgot to do the washer.

One area that is concerning to me is the tank fill line as there is no way to have the pump put antifreeze in this line. Any thoughts on this?

Because we spend the winter in our Seneca, I installed a shut off for the ice maker in the wet bay so it does now receive water at all times.
I do get antifreeze into the tank fill line by using the "Country Fill" settings for the valves which takes antifreeze from my bucket and pushes it into the freshwater tank. I just do a bit since there is no need to put much antifreeze into the empty water tank. But that does take care of the tank fill/suction line.

Thinking of isolating the icemaker line as you did, somehow ice in my Pepsi in February just isn't as critical!