Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-26-2017, 09:09 AM   #1

"Wonderful" Seneca Denver Mattress

As most of you have experienced the Denver mattress kind-of sucks!! My wife is pretty sensitive to mattresses and we have yet to find one for home that she likes. I am thinking about a Sleep number mattress as it can be adjusted and maybe she will find her number!!

I am interested in your experience.

Thanks,
Old 02-26-2017, 11:43 AM   #2

Is the HJ's mattress restricted to thickness. It doesn't appear that it should so you can get any mattress that fits your needs.

Because we are restricted by height (36FK) the only solution for us was a Sleep Number type mattress. DW is also "sensitive" so that way we each get a mattress that works for us. Major consideration is to deinflate when encouterings changes in altitude. Since we have to deinflate to pull slide in it's routine for us.

Also have sleep number at home. Love 'em.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:49 AM   #3

A freind has a sleep number in his bumper pull and loves it.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:16 PM   #4

I can vouch for the sleep number. Wife and I bought a sleep number a few years ago and love it. After we found the correct firmness or number we haven't woke up with a back ache since. When our new retirement home on wheels ( 363KPTS ) comes in we are moving the bed to the 5er. Good luck.

2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Dually 6.7L HO Turbo Diesel with Aisin Tranny
50 Gal. Transfer Flow Auxiliary Tank
2014 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins (Sold)
2017 Pinnacle 36KPTS
Wampuscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:38 PM   #5

I know its preference but we like a firm spring type mattress like at home .. not a fan of the foam ones either .. very happy with the Parklane we got a couple yrs back. $400 there about.
https://www.amazon.com/Parklane-Matt...ss+short+queen
rosedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:48 AM   #6

Hey mikew968,

(reading around this forum for a while as I'm looking to get a Jayco myself, but haven't posted yet. Thought I'd try to put in my 2 cents before asking questions...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew968 View Post
As most of you have experienced the Denver mattress kind-of sucks!! My wife is pretty sensitive to mattresses and we have yet to find one for home that she likes.
If your wife doesn't like the Denver mattress I'd try another type of mattress. I had several mattresses that gave me back pain too, until I changed to a memory foam model recently - and the pain is gone.

And since the Denver is a regular foam mattress, the same could apply for your wife too. I'm sleeping very well on the Zinus Sleep Master memory foam mattress now. It's also quite affordable! I learned about it through this review: https://bestpatrols.com/best-mattres...side-sleepers/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew968 View Post
I am thinking about a Sleep number mattress as it can be adjusted and maybe she will find her number!!
I haven't slept on this one yet, but I looked into it and the Sleep Number models are actually regular foam mattresses just like the Denver is. So chances are your wife would dislike it too??! As I said, just my 2 cents...

Hope this helps!
jaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:33 AM   #7

we Love our sleep number bed !!!!
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:11 AM   #8

Cal King might be the ticket size wise if not height restricted. We swapped to this size but could not fit regular size king due to length. Once you are into a normal size you can options open up considerably. Ours fit but just barely. We got an extra firm I believe and it was a major upgrade over the stock mattress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BrentJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:58 AM   #9

Original Mattress Factory

I would suggest you look at these mattresses. They make them in the USA, they are relatively cheap by comparison to a lot of other mattresses and come in a variety of thicknesses and firmness. They can even cut a mattress down from its normal dimensions to fit in an RV. We had one cut to fit our Greyhawk and we'll be getting another to fit our Seneca soon. It is just like sleeping on our mattress at home, since it too is a mattress from this place. A king mattress is about $800. Our Queen was around $600.

Former:
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Toad: 2009 Ford Flex
jvteach77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:35 AM   #10

I have had my Seep Number RV Radius King for 6 years now. Great mattress.

Memory foam? Not for me. Like sleeping in a hole.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:22 AM   #11

Interesting on the sleep number beds. We have one at work I have to sleep on a few nights a month. I hate it. It reminds me of a leaky air mattress. Unless you have it firm, it just deflates and you sink in the middle. With the number way up, it's fine but nothing special.

We put a memory foam type bed in our last couple of units and been very happy.
Wertles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:01 PM   #12

"Wonderful" Seneca Denver Mattress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wertles View Post
Interesting on the sleep number beds. We have one at work I have to sleep on a few nights a month. I hate it. It reminds me of a leaky air mattress. Unless you have it firm, it just deflates and you sink in the middle. With the number way up, it's fine but nothing special.

We put a memory foam type bed in our last couple of units and been very happy.

We like the memory gel mattresses too. So much so that I bought another Brentwood for home after buying one for the camper. 120 night trial with free shipping both ways should we decide we don't like it (that ain't happening), 25 year warranty and made right here in the USA! Definitely not like sleeping in a hole!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-01-2017, 07:08 PM   #13

Sleep number here. We both like it a lot. It is pretty light so lifting to access under bed storage is easy. My wife thinks I'm nuts but I'll change the pressure depending on if I'm back or side sleeping.

Wertless: if your work mattress is deflating overnight something is definitely wrong.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:48 PM   #14

Our Seneca came with the WORST mattress you could imagine... Stacy and I combined our two households into one. She has a Sleep Number King - I have a Tempurpedic King.

Since both of them would not fit into the Seneca (RV-King with Radius at the foot) we decided that we would put the Sleep Number in the house... and took the Tempurpedic to Rico's Custom Upholstery. They modified the width of the mattress, rounded the corners and all that for under $250.

We love sleeping on the Tempurpedic.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 09:12 AM   #15

I have slept on both the Tempurpedic and Sleep number beds. After about 7 years on a Tempurpedic, we felt like there was a canyon in the bed. The RV bed wasn't very good in our Jayco Jayflight G2 and even the one that came with our 2019 North Point 379 wasn't any better. I modified the bed platform in the Jayflight and bought a Queen Sleep Number bed. That was a lot better than what I had. Next I modified the King bed platform in the 379 (put plywood over existing foundation to make it bigger) and moved our Cal King Sleep number bed into the 5th wheel. This saved us several thousand dollars. I will have to raise part of the bed up in order to bring in the slide in the 5th wheel. All in all, we sleep well in either of the RVs.
darkcanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 01:48 PM   #16

Most timing in our Seneca required a good mattress. Picked out a good one and did encounter the issue that it needed to fit under the bedroom drawers. I secured ropes and a cargo net under the mattress and can curle the foot area up in order to put slides in. Only problem is when trying to stealth cap with slides in. That being said, the rest of the nights are perfect.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:53 PM   #17
Site Team

Agree on the sleep #. If it's losing pressure, there is a problem. Ours stays unplugged for weeks at a time and never loses any. If we ever purchase a class C, the King sleep # will go inside or home.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 11:04 PM   #18

It's a crying shame because Denver Mattress makes some good product! We've got a couple in our home. But they really pushed out some cr*p stuff for the RV market.

Since I too prefer a really good innerspring, rather than try to find a high quality short queen with rounded corners, we bought a high-quality Sealy full sized.

We lost 6" in width but the depth is the same as a short queen.

I'll take being 3" closer to the wife if it means I get a good nights sleep!
Old 12-25-2018, 09:29 PM   #19

Thinking Purple.......

I agree the mattress in my 2018 Seneca 37HJ is clearly designed (at best) for only occasional use - which is not me as I am a full timer. After a year of sleeping on this thing, I'm ready to toss it, and am considering a purple (even though they do not make an RV King (yet). I figure I can easily live without rounded corners in the interest of having a high quality mattress.

My only concern (one I'm still researching) is weight - specifically whether it will cause issues with the slide - I'm not sure the weight capacity of it, and certainly do not want to cause excessive wear..........

Interesting to hear what others have done.
JimL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 11:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimL View Post
My only concern (one I'm still researching) is weight - specifically whether it will cause issues with the slide - I'm not sure the weight capacity of it, and certainly do not want to cause excessive wear..........

Interesting to hear what others have done.
We put a Tempurpedic that we had modified in our Seneca FK. It is a lot heavier than the junk we took out. No problems with our slide (that looks to be very similar to your HJ.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote