Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-05-2022, 11:36 AM   #21

Common issue. Take it to a good 4X4 shop and they should be able to pin point what is causing it. Be careful about just adding in a beefier stabilizer, that may just mask whatever the problem is. If your Jeep is stock, it should not have Death Wobble, something is worn out or loose.

The 2018-2020 issue you may hear about is from the aluminum steering box. That causes wandering and a loose feel in steering, but not death wobble.
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Jeepin Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 06:54 PM   #22

we went over it everything is tight i am at a loss got appt at dealer the 14th
01 mixson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
With your Super C, you will never feel it back there.

Is your jeep stock?? A quick google research on 2021's, supposedly Jeep has fixed this the Death Wobble issue. From what I have seen on off-road sites, it is caused by a few different things, such as suspension setup, tire pressure, and/or worn steering components. I would start with checking your tire pressure, then bring it in and have the suspension inspected.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resource...p-death-wobble
it's stock, having it checked out at the dealer 14th thanks
Old 02-09-2022, 12:55 PM   #24

Known Jeep issue, If it is lifted it is more likely to happen
search JEEP DEATH WOBBLE and you find a lot of info and fixes online ....

What Causes Wrangler Death Wobble?
Death wobble is caused by loose or damaged steering components, however, it can also be caused by incorrectly installing steering or suspension parts. The first thing you should check is if anything is bent or broken. Look at all of your front suspension components, and if anything's damaged, your first priority is to replace it. Below is a checklist of possible causes from most probable to least probable.

Front Track Bar
Ball Joints
Drag Link/Tie Rod Ends
Upper Control Arms
Lower Control Arms
Suspension Bushings
Steering Stabilizer
Steering Knuckles
Your front track bar, drag link, steering knuckles, ball joints, steering stabilizer, upper and lower control arms, and even bushings should be checked for damage or excessive wear. In addition to ensuring that all hardware is properly tightened to the correct torque specifications, check your wheels, tires, and alignment. While unbalanced tires and wheels being out of alignment won’t usually cause death wobble, it can help trigger or even amplify it.
Hangar11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 01:29 PM   #25

Death wobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangar11 View Post
Known Jeep issue, If it is lifted it is more likely to happen
search JEEP DEATH WOBBLE and you find a lot of info and fixes online ....

What Causes Wrangler Death Wobble?
Death wobble is caused by loose or damaged steering components, however, it can also be caused by incorrectly installing steering or suspension parts. The first thing you should check is if anything is bent or broken. Look at all of your front suspension components, and if anything's damaged, your first priority is to replace it. Below is a checklist of possible causes from most probable to least probable.

Front Track Bar
Ball Joints
Drag Link/Tie Rod Ends
Upper Control Arms
Lower Control Arms
Suspension Bushings
Steering Stabilizer
Steering Knuckles
Your front track bar, drag link, steering knuckles, ball joints, steering stabilizer, upper and lower control arms, and even bushings should be checked for damage or excessive wear. In addition to ensuring that all hardware is properly tightened to the correct torque specifications, check your wheels, tires, and alignment. While unbalanced tires and wheels being out of alignment won’t usually cause death wobble, it can help trigger or even amplify it.
All the above checked, factory suspension, the alignment is the only thing i haven't check yet, this jeep only has 5000 miles on it, it has done it twice in the last 2 weeks, same road 2nd time was severe, had to pull off road. Have an appt at dealer on monday, curious what they tell me.
Old 02-09-2022, 02:09 PM   #26

Although my comments here may not help you, this was a big decision for me, going with a 2014 Honda CRV and not a Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk. Just didn’t want to deal with it! I’m sure I’ll get a lot flack, no offense to any Jeep owner, just my personal decision.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 02:12 PM   #27

I wonder if the back end of the Wrangler may have been overloaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01 mixson View Post
We have a 2021 jeep wrangler for our toad, put about 5,00 mile on it towing it with our 2021 37k seneca no problems at all last year, was driving it last weekend started the death wobble for about 10 seconds hit brakes slowed down everything ok, drove it back on that same road wouldn't do it again, worried about towing it this year and having this happen, any inputs, thanks
Could the back of your toad be overloaded. The same thing happens when towing a trailer that is not loaded too heavily on the rear.
Napapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 02:21 PM   #28

Check the simple stuff

I know my experience with my '97 Grand Cherokee is likely not the same as newer, but mine went away by simply rotating the tires. Minor alignment and wear problem had set up the scenario for the death wobble. Simple alignment fixed it. Later I had a front brake start dragging ever so slightly and the heat build-up caused it to reappear. Fixed the brakes and no problems.
ruralIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 02:50 PM   #29

Death wobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napapa View Post
Could the back of your toad be overloaded. The same thing happens when towing a trailer that is not loaded too heavily on the rear.
Nothing in jeep when we drove it both times
Old 02-09-2022, 02:54 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
Although my comments here may not help you, this was a big decision for me, going with a 2014 Honda CRV and not a Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk. Just didn’t want to deal with it! I’m sure I’ll get a lot flack, no offense to any Jeep owner, just my personal decision.
None taken, if i knew i was going to have this kind of a problem on a 2021 wrangler i may have thought twice on buying one to tow, i know what the dealer will tell me when i take it back, couldn't anything wrong !!!
Old 02-09-2022, 03:17 PM   #31

2004 Wrangler

Had It twice. Both times I rotated the tires. I know mine is an older jeep but that’s what fixed it! BTW I flat tow mine! I have had four sets of tires on it and by the end of their life they have cupped a lot. Rotation fixed it both times.
Mountain Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 03:29 PM   #32

My very low mileage 2006 Wrangler TJ with stock tires and no lift began to wobble at 29K miles. I tow it behind our Tiffin Class C Wayfarer. We climbed up Engineer Pass in Ouray, CO and think on a steep rock crawl, I bent something.

Got it to my shop when we returned home. Bad steering damp and one tie rod bent (both took a beating on the pass). Changed them both, laser alignment and all is good now.

Do not tow any Jeep suspected of death wobble as the problem will only get worse while on your tow bar and you will likely not even know it.

Michael and LaDonnah
2019 Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW - '06 Jeep TJ toad
Forestburg, Texas - Ham call - K5FT
msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 07:12 AM   #33

How would I know if its wobbling?

I towed a YJ 4 wheels down for several years. I have acquired a 2004 TJ and plan to tow it 4 wheels down behind a Jayco Precept 31UL. When towing the TJ, how would I know if it is wobbling back there? Can you feel it from the driver's seat? Up until I started reading this thread, I was mildly comfortable with the TJ as a toad. Now I am seriously considering not bothering. BTW, a suitable trailer to use for towing the TJ is not in the budget and creates storage issues in the campgrounds I frequent.
Any reassurance or dire warnings would be appreciated.
thenovaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 07:17 AM   #34

Quote:
All the above checked, factory suspension, the alignment is the only thing i haven't check yet, this jeep only has 5000 miles on it, it has done it twice in the last 2 weeks, same road 2nd time was severe, had to pull off road. Have an appt at dealer on monday, curious what they tell me.
take them on a ride to that exact spot and have them feel it happen do NOT let them take it for a drive then tell you oh nothing wrong.. no wobble...

be respectful and firm in your request. Make sure you take one of their top mechanics or the service manager...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 07:56 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenovaks View Post
I towed a YJ 4 wheels down for several years. I have acquired a 2004 TJ and plan to tow it 4 wheels down behind a Jayco Precept 31UL. When towing the TJ, how would I know if it is wobbling back there? Can you feel it from the driver's seat? Up until I started reading this thread, I was mildly comfortable with the TJ as a toad. Now I am seriously considering not bothering. BTW, a suitable trailer to use for towing the TJ is not in the budget and creates storage issues in the campgrounds I frequent.
Any reassurance or dire warnings would be appreciated.
That being my point exactly - you will probably never feel the wobble from the tow vehicle due to the distance, suspension and tow assembly dampening. But it will still be there and causing some harm in the JEEP steering linkage.

Just drive the JEEP often and verify no wobble while driving and then trust it is behaving under tow conditions. I agree they are made for flat towing and I have never seen one on a trailer tow situation. No need for a tow trailer.

Michael and LaDonnah
2019 Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW - '06 Jeep TJ toad
Forestburg, Texas - Ham call - K5FT
msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 10:23 AM   #36

Just a bit of history here. This problem has been happening on Jeep's for over 30 years or more. I had this issue on a new 89 XJ. It became such a problem that Chrysler brought in an outside team of engineers to try and solve it. If memory serves me, certain road conditions, especially washboarding roads, can set up sympathetic harmonic vibration in the suspension and the suspension reacts to the road like a constantly dribbling basketball. It can get so severe it can ruin the front end or even detach the rig from the tow vehicle. All you can do is keep everything tight and watch it with a camera might help.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 10:45 AM   #37

Thank you!

Thank you t18skyguy and msherw! I will keep the rear camera on and peek at it periodically.
thenovaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 01:51 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I would be interested in seeing the percentage of death wobbles related to the number of us who are towing jeeps.

I am not sure it is the problem that some are making it. Then there is - how many have some maintenance issues that are causing the problem?
Some will diasagree/ argue, but my 50+ years driving & mechanics says death wobble simply comes from SOMETHING LOOSE IN STEERING SYSTEM, can be tie rods, wheel bearings, ball joints, king pins/ link pins...= anything loose
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 10:09 AM   #39

Death wobble

Quote:
We have a 2021 jeep wrangler for our toad, put about 5,00 mile on it towing it with our 2021 37k seneca no problems at all last year, was driving it last weekend started the death wobble for about 10 seconds hit brakes slowed down everything ok, drove it back on that same road wouldn't do it again, worried about towing it this year and having this happen, any inputs, thanks
Just wanted to give an update on my death wobble, had the jeep to the dealer they checked it found nothing wrong, they told me i have the latest steering shock (which i knew) but the now have a redesigned with bigger mounting bolts and a bigger bore in the shock, they ordered one and told me i was not the only one having this problem on a 2021, told me this shock should help the problem, until they can figure it out,and would keep me informed
Old 02-17-2022, 10:40 AM   #40

Quote:
Just wanted to give an update on my death wobble, had the jeep to the dealer they checked it found nothing wrong, they told me i have the latest steering shock (which i knew) but the now have a redesigned with bigger mounting bolts and a bigger bore in the shock, they ordered one and told me i was not the only one having this problem on a 2021, told me this shock should help the problem, until they can figure it out,and would keep me informed
just like GM... it's what they do .. they all "shake"... unfortunately this will only mask a problem not solve the actual issue... good luck
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote