Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-30-2022, 04:42 PM   #1

2023 Terrain FireFly G12 Faults

We picked up our 2023 Terrain from the dealer at the end of October and have had a series of issues from day 1 (I will reserve the story for another post). Right now the one unsolved problem is with most of the lights on, if I try to lower or raise the bed, or if the diesel heater fan kicks on, the FireFly acts as if it has thrown a soft breaker, all the power in the house goes out lights and all. After about a minute, the FireFly which had been reading "G12 Fault" resets itself, with the indicators on the right hand side of the setup screen slowly going from off to green. I can then turn the lights back on to try again after turning everything off except one light. Anyone else experiencing this? I reached out to FireFly tech support who said it was a Jayco wiring problem, good luck.
ajais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:32 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajais View Post
We picked up our 2023 Terrain from the dealer at the end of October and have had a series of issues from day 1 (I will reserve the story for another post). Right now the one unsolved problem is with most of the lights on, if I try to lower or raise the bed, or if the diesel heater fan kicks on, the FireFly acts as if it has thrown a soft breaker, all the power in the house goes out lights and all. After about a minute, the FireFly which had been reading "G12 Fault" resets itself, with the indicators on the right hand side of the setup screen slowly going from off to green. I can then turn the lights back on to try again after turning everything off except one light. Anyone else experiencing this? I reached out to FireFly tech support who said it was a Jayco wiring problem, good luck.
"So far", we haven't experienced this. Everything is working as intended. The connection between the Renogy display and the Firefly system has been exact. We can do everything without any of the issues you have raised.

We have owned the van for a little over a month and have only thrown one code. That code was thrown with the inverter off, solar on, with nothing running inside the van other than the refrigerator. I was working on cleaning out the van and doing some sound proofing inside to cut down on some of the rattles all day. No issues at all throughout the day. Was cleaning up in my garage and noticed a beeping coming from the back of the van. Checked the display and it was going from 0V to 54V and then back down to 0. Shut everything down in order and reset the system. Started it back up and the same fault. Ended up doing another shut down and restart and this time I turned the inverter on. No issues since then. The only problem is, I'm scared to turn the inverter off. The only thing that runs off of the inverter is the diesel heater and the 110 outlets in the van. Everything else runs off of the 12V system. But I'm afraid that if I turn the inverter off that I will run into that fault once again. Thing is... It shouldn't be doing this. You should be able to run the system without the inverter being on until you actually need to turn it on. Jayco has been zero help with this.
RearViewMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 01:39 PM   #3

Update: Spoke to Jayco technical support

I spoke with Jayco technical support who were very helpful. They do not believe that the G12 fault is related to the solar disconnect in any way (read in FB threads that some others have had similar problems which go away when solar is disconnected.) Sean suspected a wiring issue in the fuse box and recommended that I take it back to the dealer which I will do if the issue is not obvious (I am currently in Seattle and the dealer is in the Phoenix area). I am not convinced that there is enough expertise with any dealer on the Terrain. Jayco was kind enough to provide the appropriate schematics. I will take a look over the weekend to see what I can find.
Old 12-01-2022, 03:05 PM   #4
WPW

I'm wondering if the 2023 models should be apart of the same technical service bulletin that the 2022 models. I have a 2022 Entegra Ethos Li (same battery system) and I got a TSB 22-076 that is for a G4 connector not being installed. This is specific to the Firefly system communication to the lithium battery. Just a thought
WPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 05:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPW View Post
I'm wondering if the 2023 models should be apart of the same technical service bulletin that the 2022 models. I have a 2022 Entegra Ethos Li (same battery system) and I got a TSB 22-076 that is for a G4 connector not being installed. This is specific to the Firefly system communication to the lithium battery. Just a thought
Good question! Do you know where the G4 connector is supposed to be installed or have a copy of the service bulletin?
Old 12-01-2022, 08:16 PM   #6
WPW

From talking to DEHCO they explained that it’s a connector on the battery that then goes directly to the firefly board. On the Promaster chassis both are on separate side. The battery is on the passenger side and the firefly board is on the driver. The only reason I know I already have it and don’t need the TSB to be done is my battery has never had a comm issue. I would call DEHCO and verify with them. They are great to work with.
Old 12-01-2022, 08:58 PM   #7

Thanks! I have not had comm issues either with the battery so the TSB likely does not apply to 2023 models.
Old 12-02-2022, 02:21 PM   #8

TSB 22-076 apparently addresses this issue after all...

I sent an email to Jayco support, describing the problem with the G12 Fault and received this answer back:

"*There is a TSB on the Firefly. With the result of the TSB, the Firefly will continue to do this until it is completed."

(which notably was NOT the answer I got when I called in....)

They sent me the TSB which is TSB 22-076 that mandates the replacement of a Common G4 Tap with a Terminator G4. This is located adjacent to the inverter and easily accessible through the rear access panel on the driver's side.

The TSB does not list 2023 Terrains in the affected vehicles but it was released in Sept. of 2022 and I know that my vehicle was completed on Sept 18, 2022. I did provide them with both the serial number and the VIN when I asked the question so hopefully they took that into account.
Old 12-02-2022, 02:31 PM   #9
WPW

OK, let us known, cause Jayco might need to update this TSB. DEHCO explain to me it's a hit and miss whether it's installed. But they did explain its a cable that plugs into the battery. They made it sound like if I needed it, it wouldn't be that hard to install and that maybe Jayco would send it to me. But since my system seems to communicate with the Firefly system without any errors then I probably already have the G4 connector. I'll still have the dealer check. I already have another TSB for the van AC wiring
Old 12-02-2022, 03:00 PM   #10

NOTE: What I wrote below is incorrect despite what Jayo tech support sent me. I have since verified that the TSB does not apply to my vehicle.

Not quite according to my email interchange with Jayco tech support. Here is what I learned:

1. Confirmed that TSB 22-076 also affects 2023 Terrain models delivered to dealers in September (and before, not sure of after).
2. The lack of termination can cause a variety of issues, including battery communications, G12 faults etc. but these are intermittent and you may not experience all of them.
3. Jayco WILL NOT send the parts our to customer. The service must be performed by a dealer. Their reasoning is: "The TSB needs to be done by an authorized service center. When the TSB is completed it is reported to NHTSA." Given that there is an NHTSA requirement to report this one, their position is totally understandable.
Old 12-02-2022, 03:07 PM   #11
WPW

Not surprising. DEHCO being the company working with Renogy to make the LI system for the vans that they didn't complete know what the TSB requirements. I connected my local Jayco dealer and they didn't even know about it. Not even the TSB for the AC wiring.Hopefully this will get your issue resolved. I keep getting plumbing issue with mine that keeps me from camping
Old 12-02-2022, 03:23 PM   #12

If you PM me with your email I would be happy to send you the TSB they sent me. Not sure if it is legit to post it.

I had a slew of plumbing issues that originated with Jayco assembling the piping behind the kitchen drawers in a way that did not let the drawers close with the filter installed. The dealer tech had to extend the hoses to let the filter be a bit higher up. Unfortunately he used one way sharkbite connectors and installed them the wrong way and no one tested the system. Just before we departed on a 7 day trip I decided to drain all of the water and refill with fresh water from the house. Not a drop went in. We had to begin our trip with a stop at the dealer to fix the connection. Unfortunately again, the same tech decide to reuse the same sharkbite connector (to save $3 !!!!!). The result was that 2 days later, enough water had accumulated under the kitchen console to start leaking into the area in front of the bathroom from under the drawers. I took it all apart (at Sea Perch, OR), went to the local Mercantile Exchange in Yachats, OR (awesome store! they have everything!) and found a new sharkbite connector to fix it all with. So far since then, no further plumbing issues.

I am brand new to the RV scene and completely shocked by the lack of QC on such an expensive vehicle. Apparently no one cares....
Old 12-02-2022, 03:33 PM   #13
WPW

I'm pretty sure what you're getting is correct. For what every reason the forum I can't copy a photo of the letter I got. But it reads

"Dear Valued Customer,

Jayco Inc. has determined that Certain Jayco 2022 Swift LI, Terrain, Terrain LE & Certain 2022 Entegra Coach Ethos LI, Launch, Launch LE require the Firefly Terminator G4 Connector due to a communication issue within the lithium battery.

Our records indicate that your vehicle is affected by this Service Bulletin. Please contact your nearest Jayco dealer to schedule an appointment and present this letter as authorization to have the procedure completed at no cost to you.

If you have sold or traded your vehicle, or for any reason cannot have this service performed, please contact the Jayco Motorized Customer Service Department at 800-283-8267.

We apologize for any inconvenience or concern this bulletin may cause and want to assure you that Jayco is taking all the necessary steps to ensure our product quality meets your expectations.
Sincerely,

Jayco Motorized Division"

My current plumbing is with my water lines to the heat exchange for the Timberline system. They're leaking. My dealer doesn't even carry the type of water lines since they aren't PEX. Earlier was a shower drain leaking directly under the van
Old 12-02-2022, 03:57 PM   #14

If you feel like doing it yourself and don't mind buying the part for $70, here it is:

https://store.spydercontrols.com/pro...r-tap-enclosed

The closest service center to me is an hour away through really crappy traffic so I will likely buy it myself.
Old 12-02-2022, 04:17 PM   #15
WPW

Looks like I already have that connector. I just went out into my van and check. There is part just like that one you sent just dangling there that has an orange cable to it from the firefly system then a dark blue cable that has a different connector that then goes to the battery.
Old 12-02-2022, 04:54 PM   #16

Well damn. After reading your post, I went and looked and I too have the terminator already installed. Everything that Jayco Service sent me in email is wrong. Why am I suprised....
Old 12-02-2022, 05:33 PM   #17
WPW

Well this might not be the issue. I would make sure to look for the other end of that orange cable cause on mine it was plug directly into the Firefly system. But I would think if it was unplugged that you won’t see any battery info.
Old 12-11-2022, 09:58 AM   #18

AM i missing something here. The more I read the JOF, the more I read about factory defaults and the difficulty getting them resolved brings me to the conclusion that I need to buy a different brand. We have a 2021 29RKS. It has had some minor issues that with some persistent pestering have been resolved, but I am concerned that we are coming up on the end of the warranty and what will fail next? One example was the failure of the propane regulator. Since our rig is permanently parked at a seasonal camp with a 600 square foot raised, door height, deck it is not about to be moved and trailered to the dealership so got no where with them or Jayco factory. I replaced the unit myself with a rather spendy but quality one only to receive two months later a recall notice about faulty regulators. Jayco basically basically told me to pound sand as I had done the work myself. Other issues include having to replace the AC as after inspection by a licensed tech he discovered that the unit had absolutely no refrigerant in it. Dealer was great on this one with a full replacement and upgrade to a 15K BTU. My Dealer is not the culprit here, they have been great, however it just appears that Jayco is not supplying the quality of build that they so "proudly" proclaim. Thanks for letting me rant.
CBCOCRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 01:39 PM   #19

Update on “G12 Unavailable”

Last Friday I went through a debugging session with Firefly support (Michelle was absolutely excellent). The issue with the G12 is that it is detecting an “over amp” condition (too much current draw) prematurely. This is a firmware issue. I updated the G12 firmware to 12.19 for both the GUI and LC. Of note is that the van was delivered with mismatched firmware versions which is apparently not good. After the firmware update the amount of current draw required to trigger the fault increased. The issue is still not fixed but Firefly is working on it.
Old 12-12-2022, 08:52 PM   #20

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBCOCRBO View Post
AM i missing something here. The more I read the JOF, the more I read about factory defaults and the difficulty getting them resolved brings me to the conclusion that I need to buy a different brand. We have a 2021 29RKS. It has had some minor issues that with some persistent pestering have been resolved, but I am concerned that we are coming up on the end of the warranty and what will fail next? One example was the failure of the propane regulator. Since our rig is permanently parked at a seasonal camp with a 600 square foot raised, door height, deck it is not about to be moved and trailered to the dealership so got no where with them or Jayco factory. I replaced the unit myself with a rather spendy but quality one only to receive two months later a recall notice about faulty regulators. Jayco basically basically told me to pound sand as I had done the work myself. Other issues include having to replace the AC as after inspection by a licensed tech he discovered that the unit had absolutely no refrigerant in it. Dealer was great on this one with a full replacement and upgrade to a 15K BTU. My Dealer is not the culprit here, they have been great, however it just appears that Jayco is not supplying the quality of build that they so "proudly" proclaim. Thanks for letting me rant.