Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2023, 03:29 PM   #1

A couple more Terrain questions

I'd love to step into a Terrain myself but there aren't any near me. So pardon a few questions please:

1) Fridge - seems small compared to others (3 vs 5 cu ft), is it functional for 2 adults for a week or so of healthy eating? Or should I consider adding a Truma extra fridge/freezer in the cargo area?

2) Microwave - we reheat left overs alot via micro. Anyone yet installed the Canyon Adventure Vans GLSS with micro in the cargo? Seems to be a reasonable option.

3) kayaks on the roof. We like to bring our sea kayaks (15'). Getting up there is doable but then all that solar is covered up. Not sure what I am thinking, love to hear other's ideas.

4) Final question for now, I've read about insulation (or lack of). Is that a fixed issue now if I order now? Or what do I need to ensure I ask for?

So far I'm thinking, Truma fridge/freezer, GLSS wiht micro in the cargo. Bumper/bull bar with light and winch up front and some sort of box on the doors (BBQ and recovery and leveling gear). Does that make sense?
driveby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 12:57 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveby View Post
I'd love to step into a Terrain myself but there aren't any near me. So pardon a few questions please:

1) Fridge - seems small compared to others (3 vs 5 cu ft), is it functional for 2 adults for a week or so of healthy eating? Or should I consider adding a Truma extra fridge/freezer in the cargo area?

2) Microwave - we reheat left overs alot via micro. Anyone yet installed the Canyon Adventure Vans GLSS with micro in the cargo? Seems to be a reasonable option.

3) kayaks on the roof. We like to bring our sea kayaks (15'). Getting up there is doable but then all that solar is covered up. Not sure what I am thinking, love to hear other's ideas.

4) Final question for now, I've read about insulation (or lack of). Is that a fixed issue now if I order now? Or what do I need to ensure I ask for?

So far I'm thinking, Truma fridge/freezer, GLSS wiht micro in the cargo. Bumper/bull bar with light and winch up front and some sort of box on the doors (BBQ and recovery and leveling gear). Does that make sense?
The fridge is big enough for two adults depending on how long you plan on staying off grid. And I can tell you for certain, it gets cold.

As far as the microwave goes... The GLSS system is a good option. My issue with it is it blocks the heat duct in the rear. Then you have to remember that a microwave (depending on the wattage) will drain your battery pretty fast depending on how often you use it.

Insulation is surprisingly good in the back of the van. Especially the flairspace. But it is lacking in the sliding door. I had to drive back to the factory to have warranty work done on the van (long story) and they filled the door with as much insulation as it would take. I'm not sure if they are doing that now or they just did it for me since I had a horrible rattle coming from the side door. But "my" door is insulated to the max now.

As far as kayaks go. There is no MB 4WD that will accept kayaks that large on the roof without covering up the solar panels. They do make side mounts that you can mount to the side of your van that will carry them. Though not for long distance driving. At least I wouldn't do it.

If you are looking for a turnkey option then I don't think you can do much better than the Terrain. The power system alone is what sold me. Not to mention that every Terrain comes loaded with every factory option unlike the Revel.

Hope this helps.
RearViewMirror is offline   Reply With Quote