Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-29-2022, 01:19 AM   #1

How loud is the inside of your Terrain?

As the thread title explains... I'm curious from other Terrain owners how many creaks and rattles are in your units? The biggest culprit has been the loft bed. What I ended up doing to stop that from rattling is to fold up a microfiber cloth and wedge it in between the front of the bed (in it's down position) on both sides of the track that it runs on. That drastically reduced the noise coming from the back. Obviously I remove them if I need to raise the bed. I have also put in felt pads on the inside of each drawer to make them tight. But I still have some rattles and noise coming from the rear of the van and the sliding door. The only way I know to reduce the rattles from the door is to remove the plastic inner lining and insulate it. That looks to be a hard job and one that I'm not looking forward to tackling. The only other rattle that I can think of is coming from the passenger side in the rear where the water tank / plumbing sits. Another job i'm not looking forward to tackling.

Is this common for any that have a Terrain? I disconnected the center speaker and that is a night and day difference in the sound so I know I can turn up the volume now. But that isn't a fix. Just much better sound from the stereo. I don't expect it to be completely quiet at all. Just a bit less noise. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
RearViewMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 04:27 PM   #2

Silent I suppose?
Old 12-01-2022, 05:59 PM   #3

The only rattling and creaking that I hear are from items that are in the cupboards as well as the bamboo shelves in the shower. Other than that, a noisy interior is thankfully not on my list of squaks.
ajais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 06:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajais View Post
The only rattling and creaking that I hear are from items that are in the cupboards as well as the bamboo shelves in the shower. Other than that, a noisy interior is thankfully not on my list of squaks.
I removed the bamboo shelves while trying to isolate rattles. Like I mentioned, the bed was the biggest culprit. I'm sure it can be adjusted but I didn't want to bind the bed while it is being raised or lowered. But I've got a quick fix for that. I've added some extra felt on the inside of each drawer so there is no movement there. The only other noise that I have right now is from the plastic panel on the sliding door. It's 100% quieter than when I picked it up. But I don't know of a way to keep the plastic panel on the sliding door from rattling up against the metal inside the door frame. I don't expect it to be completely quiet. That was never my intention. Just to be somewhat quieter. But from when I picked it up until now, I've been chasing squeaks and rattles. Now I'm just left with the sliding door.
Old 12-01-2022, 06:11 PM   #5

The only real Mercedes originating issue that I have with the body is the first step on the drivers side fills with water when it rains hard - so a bad door seal. I will let a dealer take care of that eventually...
Old 12-01-2022, 06:19 PM   #6

Quote:
The only real Mercedes originating issue that I have with the body is the first step on the drivers side fills with water when it rains hard - so a bad door seal. I will let a dealer take care of that eventually...
I've been lucky so far with no leaks (fingers crossed). The only issue I had with water was the window shades supplied with the van. They SUCK. The front window shade is fine. But both side shades are useless (at least on mine they are). The magnets are not strong enough to hold the shades in place on either door. So the only way I could make them work is to open the door and basically "pinch" the shade between the weatherstrip and the body of the van. It has been raining here often and when the shades are up, they get damp around the edges because they are crimped between the weatherstrip and I have had a small amount of water on each door panel. I finally gave up on them and just bought some aftermarket shades for the side windows and they fit perfectly, I don't have to open the doors to put them up, the magnets are strong enough to hold them in place, and no light leaks outside of the van when the lights are turned on inside. I really don't have a complaint about the front shade as it fits very well. But I'm going to replace it with the same brand as the side shades. The only issue I have with the front is putting it back in the bag is just a pain.

If that is the least of my worries I can live with that.
Old 12-01-2022, 06:53 PM   #7

Yup, I have exactly the same problem with the side shades. Can you please post a link to the aftermarket ones you bought?
Old 12-01-2022, 07:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Yup, I have exactly the same problem with the side shades. Can you please post a link to the aftermarket ones you bought?
Here are the side shades. I'm going to replace the front shade with the same brand. They are lighter than the ones that came with the van, easier to fold up, and store also. They come with velcro straps that wrap around each shade so you aren't fighting them trying to get them back into their bag. What was a 10 min job to get the original shades just right (only to have them leak) turned into less than a 2 min job and that's unpacking and putting both shades up. The edges where the magnets are fold into the window frame and snap the shade into place. Well worth the money of not having to deal with the hassle of the original shades.

Old 12-01-2022, 07:37 PM   #9

Thanks! Ordered!
Old 12-01-2022, 07:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks! Ordered!
I think you will be happy with them. I like them so much that I'm going to go ahead and order the front shade also. Not that there is really anything wrong with the front shade that comes with the van, but it doesn't completely block out all of the light when you are outside the van. Close but not completely. But the main thing is it is just a pain to try to get it back into it's bag. These are so much better.
Old 12-05-2022, 02:27 PM   #11

I received the side window shades over the weekend. Thanks for the tip! These are much better than the ones that came with the van!
Old 12-05-2022, 02:29 PM   #12

Quote:
I received the side window shades over the weekend. Thanks for the tip! These are much better than the ones that came with the van!
The more you use them the better they are. So much better than the originals. I can have them out of the bag and in place within a min or so and that is adjusting them exactly how I want them.

Glad you like them and they worked out. I've been extremely happy with them.