Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2023, 01:20 AM   #1

Post In the market for a Terrain - questions

In the market for a Class B 4x4. So looking at the Terrain/Launch as an option. Plan on renting one of all the competitors for a few days so we can really see which one we think will best meet our needs.

I do like the idea of the 48v lithium as I built my own solar system on my old RV.

I watched the video and I went to the Renogy website (lucky they are also 45 min from where I live) but I am confused on the inverter needing to be on to charge the battery from solar.

I used magnum brand on my first build with a separate solar charger for the battery. I see this is an all in one system, inverter, converter and solar mppt charger.

What am I missing here? If I am bringing in solar power in what am I inverting for to charge the batteries?

I see for storage it says to turn the solar input off. Seems like if you stored it outside in the sun that would make sense to leave it on. On my old trailer that's exactly what I did and when I picked up my trailer from storage my batteries were always charged up.

Is what people are saying by having the "inverter on" really means just having the "charger inverter active"? Not actually turning on the inverter? The renogy manual is pretty horrible but the data sheet says there are 4 charge modes (PV priority, utility priority, hybrid, PV only), and 3 output modes (Pv priority, utility priority, inverter).

Any info appreciated on the way this thing works is appreciated.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking at a 4x4 class B.

Im intrigued by the 48 volt battery system.

Im confused by some of the posts in here on the inverter/charger.

I went to the renogy site and its manual for this charger/inverter does not really cover the things mentioned especially that you have to turn on the inverter to charger the battery?

This makes no sense to me, an inverter takes DC power and turns it into AC. The inverter/charger has a "charger" on it that is supposed to charge the batteries. That can come from solar or shore/utility.

Watching this video I am hoping this is not whats in the rigs or renogy fixed this.

https://youtu.be/YcKO4ZhjJlk

Any help understanding how this system works would be great.
ajohansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 07:45 AM   #2

I posted originally in a different thread about the batteries and edited it and then it disappeared so then then posted again and went to edit and it was gone. Mods made a new thread with both posts lol.

In a nutshell what the heck is going on with this inverter/charger/solar charger!?
Old 05-01-2023, 12:47 PM   #3

I have a 2023 Jayco Terrain 19Y. You do not need to have the inverter on to charge the battery w/solar. You need to have the inverter on to charge the battery w/shore power.
I only have my inverter on when using 110v outlets and when plugged into shore power.

Made the mistake of plugging into shore power and running a/c for several hours w/o turning on inverter and battery went from 100% to 33% in about 6 hours. I forgot that the a/c is 48V DC and would run w/o shore power so I also forgot to turn on inverter. I now turn on the inverter every time I am plugged in.
roamingweizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 09:44 PM   #4

still makes no sense to me why an inverter which takes dc to ac would need to be on with shore power to charge the battery.
Old 05-02-2023, 12:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohansson View Post
still makes no sense to me why an inverter which takes dc to ac would need to be on with shore power to charge the battery.
When plugged into shore power the inverter has to be on. If it is turned off, you "should" hear a beeping sound from the rear of the garage area where the battery, inverter, solar charger, etc... is stored.

When plugged into shore power the power coming in does not function like a traditional RV. All shore power does is charge the battery. That's it. Everything in the van runs off of the battery. Shore power does not run anything in the van at all. Now... I can't tell you why you have to have the inverter on while hooked up to shore power but I can tell you that you do have to have it turned on to charge the battery.

Saying that. I have had the inverter off and received a charge from the solar panels by checking the Renogy app. But... You have to remember there is only 200W's of solar on the roof so all it is really doing is keeping the battery topped off and "maybe" putting a little bit of charge back into the battery. You would need an entire solar farm on top of the van to actually create a charge that would top off your battery. The amount of solar we have on the top of the van is limited at best.
RearViewMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 01:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingweizer View Post
I have a 2023 Jayco Terrain 19Y. You do not need to have the inverter on to charge the battery w/solar. You need to have the inverter on to charge the battery w/shore power.
I only have my inverter on when using 110v outlets and when plugged into shore power.

Made the mistake of plugging into shore power and running a/c for several hours w/o turning on inverter and battery went from 100% to 33% in about 6 hours. I forgot that the a/c is 48V DC and would run w/o shore power so I also forgot to turn on inverter. I now turn on the inverter every time I am plugged in.
For what it's worth. I ran a test to see how long the A/C would run on just battery power alone. Turned the A/C on at 11:45am and turned it off at 6:45pm. Inverter off, set the inside temp to 80 degrees (since the firefly system does a horrible job at detecting temps) 85 degrees outside, shades on all the windows, and full sun hitting the van all day. The battery depleted only 33% and it was comfortable inside. So if it will do that in the daytime, it will run all night with no issues as long as you turn the inverter off.
RearViewMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 10:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohansson View Post

From the Jayco website
roamingweizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 03:27 PM   #8

Lol these people. Its not inverting its converting. After looking at the docs from renong which are pretty piss poor and this video it looks at though there is one switch that turns on the inverter and converter. There is no option to have one or the other off. Have been looking at reviews of the renogy unit and many are saying its a rebranded unit. Poor performance etc. never the less having a dc ac unit sounds awesome. Especially leaving the dogs in there for a few hours and being able to have the ac on without an inverter running.

This is whats in the rigs.

https://youtu.be/YcKO4ZhjJlk