Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-15-2022, 06:14 PM   #1

Inverter?

I have a 2023 Jayco terrain, When just parked in the driveway (not staying in it) and plugged into shore power does the inverter need to be on?
Jayryan70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 10:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayryan70 View Post
I have a 2023 Jayco terrain, When just parked in the driveway (not staying in it) and plugged into shore power does the inverter need to be on?
You would have to do a little checking first. Probably not needed is my initial answer.

From what I have seen from YouTube walkthroughs of new Jayco’s TT & 5’ers there are dedicated plugs from the inverter to the interior cabin. If you need any of those plugs active while it is parked, then yes you will need it on. However just parked and not staying in it, the plugs are probably not needed. The shore power will keep the DC converter on to keep the batteries charged. That should be all you really need shore power for in the driveway.

David

2019 Jayco Eagle HT 24.5CKTS (new to me 9/2022)
2016 F250 6.7L CCSB 4x4 - AirLift 5000
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch
David_ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 11:35 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. That’s what I was thinking. No real need for inverter to on if not utilizing the outlets. I just wasn’t sure if it needed to be on to keep battery charged
Old 12-16-2022, 01:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Thanks for the info. That’s what I was thinking. No real need for inverter to on if not utilizing the outlets. I just wasn’t sure if it needed to be on to keep battery charged
I broke down the electrical into 3 paths, or 4 if you have an inverter (ignoring a generator and solar).

1). Shore power >> AC main panel >> AC Circuit breakers >> 120V circuits (AC to DC converter, Air cond, water heater, refrigerator, plugs, …)

2). One of the AC circuit breakers >> AC to DC converter (120V to 12V DC) >> Charges Batteries.

3). House Batteries >> inline circuit breaker (near batteries) >> 12V disconnect switch >> DC fuse block >> DC circuits (Lights, heater fan, water pump, …)

If you have an inverter #4
4). House Batteries >> inline fuse >> Inverter (12V to 120V AC) >> sub panel (opt) >> 120V Plugs

David

Old 12-16-2022, 01:08 AM   #5

Good breakdown. Makes sense. Thanks!
Old 12-16-2022, 10:37 AM   #6

Quote:
If plugged into shore power from my house I leave my inverter on. Mainly because it's been cold here and I run a small ceramic heater in the garage area of the van. In fact? I never turn the inverter off. Is it needed all the time? No, absolutely not. Is it needed if hooked up to shore power while not running anything inside the van that actually needs the inverter? Probably not. But I still leave it on. It isn't hurting anything. The shore power on these vans works only to charge the battery and keep it topped off. Everything is run off the battery. So leaving the inverter on while plugged in to shore power isn't going to hurt anything (at least from my experience). So I just run with it on. The only time it makes a difference is if you are unplugged from shore power and not running anything inside the van that actually runs off of the inverter. The inverter will have parasitic draw that doesn't need to be there.

Short answer? No, you do not have to turn the inverter off. I leave mine on especially if plugged into shore power from my house just so I have access to the items that actually run off of the inverter.
RearViewMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 11:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RearViewMirror View Post
If plugged into shore power from my house I leave my inverter on. ... The only time it makes a difference is if you are unplugged from shore power and not running anything inside the van that actually runs off of the inverter. The inverter will have parasitic draw that doesn't need to be there.

Short answer? No, you do not have to turn the inverter off. I leave mine on especially if plugged into shore power from my house just so I have access to the items that actually run off of the inverter.
X2. The way the inverter is factory wired into these newer RVs, the inverter is intended to be left ON most of the time. If there is no load being drawn from the inverter the standby power draw is typically less than 30Wh. The Renology 2000W inverter manual states its standby draw is 24Wh (2Ah @ 12V). Leaving it powered ON will be insignificant and undetectable to your overall power usage from your permanent residence.

Only when you are unplugged from shore power should you need to decide to turn off the inverter to save the ~30Wh constant power draw for battery power that you absolutely need.

David

Old 12-16-2022, 12:07 PM   #8

Thanks for the info. Cold here to so I keep a small heater going in the back as well to keep battery warm.
Old 12-16-2022, 07:51 PM   #9

I do not know exactly how the Terrain is wired up but if they did the same that appears they are doing in the new Jay Feather Micros. If so it is all directly wired into the inverter first then splits out from there. Where the inverter controls what power source (shore or battery) to use.

I am not sure which inverter they are using in it either from what I have see it is usually a Xantrex or a Progressive Industries. Both have a built in auto transfer switch. When plugged into shore power the inverter does not need to be on. The transfer switch just automatically switches to/from battery when no shore power is detected. If that were to happen and you had the space heater in there it could quickly drain the battery if shore power is not restored.

The number 4 above is not totally correct with how they have been wiring them in. It will go from the shore power port directly into the inverter and then split from there. With the power center/converter being one destination for 120 and 12v plugs/appliances. Batteries are just another/alternate input instead of shore power.

The only time the inverter "needs" to be on is when you would like to use a 120v power source for say the space heater or a hairdryer and you do not have shore power.

There are other things usually sucking power all the time, you do not need the inverter doing it as well.

As for it being cold and the batteries, I assume it has lithium batteries, if they came from the factory they will have low temp charging cutoff. That is the most critical worry, even that is harder to hit than most think. Unless you need it for something else you prob dont need the heater in there either.
Old 12-16-2022, 07:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC_AZ View Post
I do not know exactly how the Terrain is wired up but if they did the same that appears they are doing in the new Jay Feather Micros. If so it is all directly wired into the inverter first then splits out from there. Where the inverter controls what power source (shore or battery) to use.

I am not sure which inverter they are using in it either from what I have see it is usually a Xantrex or a Progressive Industries. Both have a built in auto transfer switch. When plugged into shore power the inverter does not need to be on. The transfer switch just automatically switches to/from battery when no shore power is detected. If that were to happen and you had the space heater in there it could quickly drain the battery if shore power is not restored.

The number 4 above is not totally correct with how they have been wiring them in. It will go from the shore power port directly into the inverter and then split from there. With the power center/converter being one destination for 120 and 12v plugs/appliances. Batteries are just another/alternate input instead of shore power.

The only time the inverter "needs" to be on is when you would like to use a 120v power source for say the space heater or a hairdryer and you do not have shore power.

There are other things usually sucking power all the time, you do not need the inverter doing it as well.

As for it being cold and the batteries, I assume it has lithium batteries, if they came from the factory they will have low temp charging cutoff. That is the most critical worry, even that is harder to hit than most think. Unless you need it for something else you prob dont need the heater in there either.
I'd rather play it safe than sorry. It costs me nothing to keep the heater in the van running when it gets cold like tonight. I don't have to worry about the battery getting cold nor the reset process of getting back up to temp if it does happen to get too cold. Especially when it hits 9 degrees next week. The van will be nice and warm inside and I don't have to worry about the battery.

As far as the inverter goes? I just leave it on unless it is going to be parked in the sun for a while. While driving down the road the battery is recharged back up to 100% SOC. If we are in a place where we won't have to rely on the inverter? I'll just turn it off. But the vast majority of the time we will need it on. So it just stays on.
Old 12-19-2022, 04:22 PM   #11

Leave the inverter on if on shore power....

... or the battery will not charge and will eventually be depleted. I made this mistake already and had to reset the battery.
ajais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 01:40 PM   #12

Quote:
An Inverter changes 12 volt into 110 that’s when you are boon-docking and want to power up the tv or coffee pot from a battery. You don’t need to turn it on if your not using it. We only turn the inverter on when we want to charge cell phones from the battery or have the tv �� on when camping on the battery. our converter is what is used when plugging it into shore power, it runs fans, in ours, under the bed to help keep wires and stuff cool. It should come on automatically. Is that what you wanted to know?
Retired mountain folk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 04:46 PM   #13

With the Jayco Terrain, if you expect shore power to keep the house battery topped off and warm, the inverter must be on. I learned that lesson the hard way, and then read the Jayco manual…..
ajais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 05:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajais View Post
With the Jayco Terrain, if you expect shore power to keep the house battery topped off and warm, the inverter must be on. I learned that lesson the hard way, and then read the Jayco manual…..
Exactly why I run a small heater in the garage area of the van when it is going to be 35F or lower. I never have to worry about the battery getting cold and it also keeps the van warm.

We were down to -1F last week and as documented in another thread, I kept the diesel heater on for two nights straight. So if it gets down in the teens here? I run the diesel heater to play it safe.

Rarely do I ever turn the inverter off.
Old 12-31-2022, 05:44 PM   #15

Note: this thread is specific to units equipt with the Renology inverter. There are other inverters that have a 120v input and will go into bypass mode when on shore power.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 05:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
An inverter is not a converter. The converter charges the battery.
And the inverter lets me run my 110 outlets or diesel heater when it is cold.
Old 12-31-2022, 06:51 PM   #17

Guess it’s different than the greyhawk. It was simpler in 2011. Hehehe
Retired mountain folk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 03:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired mountain folk View Post
Guess it’s different than the greyhawk. It was simpler in 2011. Hehehe
The Terrain is designed for "Off Road and Off Grid",
Old 04-13-2023, 11:36 AM   #19

If you want to charge the Lithium batteries w/shore power, then yes. Shore power isn't really doing anything inside w/o the invertor on.
roamingweizer is offline   Reply With Quote