Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-22-2022, 06:13 PM   #21

I should also say that the only thing that was running inside the van was the refrigerator and nothing else at the time the fault code was thrown. Everything else was off.
RearViewMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 01:25 PM   #22

Welcome to my world. This is the norm with Jayco and their dealers. I have learned more from the folks here than I have from my dealer. The associates they have provided only know what they have been taught from their online tutorials.
If you have a LI and solar charging system, you are best to contact Renogy direct for guidance. Chris and Derek have been great at answering questions.
I live in the NE and I have found that if the cabin gets cold soaked, the battery will drain and will only be recovered by connecting to shore power with at least 30 amp hookup.
I had to pay a campground to hookup and recover my battery to 100%.
Next time, I will run a heater to maintain my cabin temp and prevent the battery from becoming cold soaked.
Harmsway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 01:31 PM   #23

I have had the same fault and believe that it is a “notification “ of a battery discharge. When I hookup shore power with the inverter on, the beeping stops and the fault goes away. Disconnect shore power with the inverter off and battery on and the fault reappears.
For what it’s worth.
Harmsway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 02:47 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmsway View Post
I have had the same fault and believe that it is a “notification “ of a battery discharge. When I hookup shore power with the inverter on, the beeping stops and the fault goes away. Disconnect shore power with the inverter off and battery on and the fault reappears.
For what it’s worth.
Thing is... It shouldn't be doing that. You should be able to run it off of 12 only without the inverter on if you don't need it. The only items in the van that run off of the inverter are the 110 outlets and the diesel heater. Everything else runs off of 12v. Even the A/C. So in theory, there shouldn't be a discharge fault. If we have to run with the inverter on that is a parasitic draw on the battery that doesn't need to be there if you aren't using the above mentioned items.
Old 11-29-2022, 04:45 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmsway View Post
Welcome to my world. This is the norm with Jayco and their dealers. I have learned more from the folks here than I have from my dealer. The associates they have provided only know what they have been taught from their online tutorials.
If you have a LI and solar charging system, you are best to contact Renogy direct for guidance. Chris and Derek have been great at answering questions.
I live in the NE and I have found that if the cabin gets cold soaked, the battery will drain and will only be recovered by connecting to shore power with at least 30 amp hookup.
I had to pay a campground to hookup and recover my battery to 100%.
Next time, I will run a heater to maintain my cabin temp and prevent the battery from becoming cold soaked.
I don't blame my dealer for not knowing about the Terrain. It is the very first (and most likely the last) Terrain they have sold. These types of vehicles just are not popular in this state. They are much more popular in the Western US (which is where I first saw one). But here??? I think we are probably one of the only ones in the state that has one. I know I've never seen another MB 4WD conversion around here ever.

Side note: You wouldn't believe the amount of stares, questions, and thumbs up that I get while driving this thing. Most people in this state have never even seen anything like this.

As far as my dealer goes. They have bent over backwards to get the answers I have asked. And the poor service tech that works in the back... He has done everything he could for us. He has had to learn about the Terrain just as much as we have. And he has been great. But... He (and the dealership) can only do so much.

I really lay a lot of blame on the Jayco Rep that flew down to walk us through our rig. I've seen videos from the walkthrough with the Winnebago Revel and the reps go through every single piece of the Revel and exactly how each system works. For the $179,000 that we paid for the Terrain and his free plane fare down here from Jayco themselves... He should have known every single thing about the Terrain. Turns out... He couldn't even answer a single question about how to set the time on the installed radio, what the extra knob was in the shower, if the freshwater tank actually read in actual % or if it read in thirds (100%, 67%, 33%... etc...), how to shut down the electrical system in the correct order or much less restart it, etc... But no... Every single question that I had he had to call someone. I mean every single question (not exeraggiting) He was a complete waste of my time and his.

Like you, I've learned more about these rigs from the good people on here and their experiences. But it shouldn't be this hard after spending such a large sum of money. This isn't my first RV and I understand that things will go wrong. That's just the nature of having something like this. But at least with my last RV I could get my answers without having to call multiple different phone numbers.
Old 01-14-2023, 04:54 PM   #26

it really is crazy how little information the manuals or the dealer provide.Bought my terrain a couple weeks ago and have been very frustrated with lack of information.I have so many questions.
Smithmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 05:00 PM   #27

Didyou have to do a battery re set?
Old 01-14-2023, 05:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithmoto View Post
it really is crazy how little information the manuals or the dealer provide.Bought my terrain a couple weeks ago and have been very frustrated with lack of information.I have so many questions.
I can tell you one thing for certain. If you are relying on Jayco to answer your questions you are out of luck. My dealer had never sold one of these much less seen one because they are not popular here. But we are moving West where they are much more popular. It is not my dealerships fault for not knowing every aspect of the van and I understand that. As you bring up. I have read every manual that came with the Terrain and I still have so many questions. But all of this I have learned on my own. Through YouTube videos and forums such as this.

I had my van serviced yesterday because last month it got down below 0F here with -35F windchill. The van had less than 7 gals of water in the system at the time. I ended up siphoning 5 gals of RV antifreeze through the pump and pumped the antifreeze through every line in the van. Set the Timberline heater to 80 degrees and I still woke up to a sink that was frozen. There is only one line that runs outside of the van and that is the sink drain (which we actually poured RV antifreeze down and used the macerator pump to pump it through that line to the grey water tank. After further inspection under the van (during 0F I might add), I found the problem. The line that runs from the sink, through the floor of the van, and over to the grey water tank was not insulated at all from where it exits the van. There was about 1 foot of exposed sink drain that was open to the elements. Not only that, but there was a 6" hole cut in the bottom of my van that was completely open for that line to run through.

This is what I found:

That hole was large enough for a small rodent, bugs, snakes, dirt, water, etc... to enter. It was like they insulated the entire portion under the van and got to that point and said F it. How this possibly misses quality control at Jayco is beyond me? So I ended up having to fix it myself.

Took it to the dealership yesterday and they insulated that entire portion with foam and Dicor over the top. So it is now well insulated. But it's issues such as these that make me wonder... "what else is wrong with the van?".

Quote:
Didyou have to do a battery re set?
Yes. To do a full battery reset you have to do it in order.

1: Make SURE you are not connected to shore power!

2: Turn off the solar controller located in the rear compartment of the van.

3: Make sure the Inverter is turned off

4: Turn the main house power off at the switch that sits right underneath the fridge as you walk into the van.

After you do those steps your power is off.

Next:

1: Turn off the battery in the back panel of the battery compartment.

2: Let it sit for 10 mins or so for the relays to cool down.

From this point forward... there is zero power flowing anywhere inside the van.

Restarting the power to the van:

1: Press the main battery switch in the rear compartment of the van

2: Turn the solar charger back on

3: Turn the main house switch back on (located under the fridge)

4: In the upper cabinet behind the driver seat there is a battery reset button. Hold that button down for around 10 secs. You will hear the relays clicking in the back of the van. Once that stops release the switch.

5: Turn the inverter back on. It will take a little bit to reconnect with the Firefly system in the van.

Once you have done all of this you will have to reset every single clock in the living area of the van. That should take care of the reset process.

The issue I have is I have heard two different things about the solar charger.

1: If you aren't using it? Turn it off. I don't subscribe to that but I can find no information stating one way or another

2: Leave the solar charger on. This is what I do and I never turn it off. So far so good. But I've no idea if this is correct?

The other thing is I now run with the inverter on all the time. The reason for this is because I was cleaning out the van one day with the inverter off. Spent all day just messing around cleaning things out. Got done and was cleaning out my garage and started hearing a beeping noise coming from the back of the van. Took the panel off and the screen was reading 0V then going up to 54V and back down to 0V continuously. I didn't think to look for what code it had thrown because it had never done this before. So I went through the shutdown process noted above and have run with the inverter on ever since. The issue is, the inverter is a parasitic draw on the battery even if nothing is running off the inverter itself. There is no need to run the inverter unless you plan on using the 110 outlets or run the diesel heater. Everything else in the van is 12V.

So I would love some information on why it did that and what to do about it. But good luck finding it.
Old 01-15-2023, 09:40 AM   #29

Thank You best information I have gotten yet.I know where most of those switches are to do the re start.I have a very stupid question.How do I know if the inverter is on.Can you throw a picture of it?
Should I bother doing this whole process now?I don't really need house power for a few weeks when I drive back to the east coast.Sorry for being a bother I just have so little information.
Old 01-15-2023, 09:51 AM   #30

I will check that drain hole seeing I plan on using the van a lot in the winter to ski.
Thanks for any info you find
Old 01-15-2023, 11:34 AM   #31

Quote:
Thank You best information I have gotten yet.I know where most of those switches are to do the re start.I have a very stupid question.How do I know if the inverter is on.Can you throw a picture of it?
Should I bother doing this whole process now?I don't really need house power for a few weeks when I drive back to the east coast.Sorry for being a bother I just have so little information.
You are not a bother. It seems you and I are in the same boat. The only stupid question is one you don't ask.

The inverter switch is right on the wall next to the Timberline thermostat and Firefly display. You push one button to turn it on or off.

If the light is Green then your inverter is on. If the light is off, your inverter is off. When you press the button to turn it on you will see it flash yellow / green for a few secs. Then it should turn solid green (if it flashes red you have a fault). Your inverter is now on and you can use the 110 outlets and the Timberline diesel heater in the van.

If you take the cover off the back panel in your garage that covers all of the electrical systems you will see a screen back there. It's not in an "ideal" place as you have to remove the panel and it sits sideways in the back. It would have been much better served having that screen somewhere else in the van where it is easily accessible like the Winnebago Revel. If you want to adjust any parameters of the system it must be done through that screen.

The only adjustment that you would ever really make is adjusting the amps coming in from shore power. What I mean by this is like we have it hooked up at our house. I bought a 110 - 30 amp "pigtail" so I could plug it into one of our outlets in our garage since the van sits outside. The van is set up from the factory to accept 30 amps since it "assumed" that you will be connecting to shore power at a campground (more on that in a sec). But... I have mine connected to shore power through one of the 110 GFI outlets in our garage. To do this you have to buy a 110 - 30 amp "pigtail". You plug the pigtail into the end of the shore power cord that you would normally plug into the pedestal at a campground. You can then plug it into your 110 outlet in your garage. So the adjustment that I probably "should" make to the system is to go into the screen and change the parameters from 30 amp to 15 amp. To do this you just scroll through the menu to #28 and adjust the incoming amps up or down. Saying all of that... I haven't done that. In fact I haven't even touched that screen. The main thing that I was worried about was it popping my GFI in my garage when I plugged the van in since it is pretty sensitive. But it has worked just fine so I don't see a reason to adjust it.

The reason that I have it plugged in at the house is:

1: This is a daily driver. The main house power is never turned off. So having it plugged in I never have to worry about draining the battery down.

2: It's winter here. So when it starts getting cold at night I keep a digital ceramic heater sitting in the garage area of the van to keep the van warm inside. If it really starts getting cold I ditch the ceramic heater and turn on the Timberline heater and it does an amazing job at keeping the van at whatever temp you have it set for. Just remember if you run the diesel heater you must have a certain amount of fuel in your tank otherwise it will not turn on or it will shut itself off once it reaches that level (1/4 tank "I think"? Don't quote me on that).

As far as I know... The shore power only charges the battery and that is it. The battery runs everything in the van. So it is not like a traditional RV where you hook up to shore power and then you have power running into the unit. You hook up to shore power with the Terrain and you are just charging the battery. The battery runs everything.

We bought our van on the 1st of Nov. For quite a while I ran with the inverter off since there was no reason to run with it on since we aren't living in it full time (yet). And I have no idea why it did what it did that one day that it threw a code and started beeping. At the time, I didn't think to look for the code mainly because it surprised me and I wanted to make sure that something wasn't getting screwed up. There is no reason to run with the inverter on if you aren't using anything that runs off of 110. But since mine threw that code one time? I'm hesitant about turning it off. It has not given me any trouble since that day. But I know that I will need to turn it off to conserve battery power. The inverter has a parasitic draw that is around 2% per hour with nothing running. That becomes an issue if you are camping off grid for extended periods of time.

I brought up earlier about being plugged into a pedestal with shore power at a campground. DO NOT plug the van directly into a pedestal without an EMS (electrical management system) between the pedestal and your van. An EMS will protect your van from a range of issues that could be at any campground. They will monitor for faults, protect from low / high voltage, and if there should be a surge it will fry the EMS before ever reaching your van. Do not confuse an EMS with just a basic surge protector. A quality EMS will monitor the pedestal before you even hook up your shore power. A surge protector will only protect against a power surge.
Old 01-15-2023, 12:00 PM   #32

One other thing that I would "personally" do? I would crawl all underneath the van and look for everything. "If" I would have done that before it got cold it would have saved me a bunch of trouble. It wouldn't have changed how pissed I was at finding no insulation and a large hole in the bottom of my van. But it would have saved me 2 days of trying to figure out how to get the sink to drain and why it froze up in the first place.
Old 01-15-2023, 07:26 PM   #33

Great information so I am doing some things correctly.I have it plugged into the garage outlet with an EMS with a heater in the back.However I believe I let the batteries cold soak the first night here in Utah they don't seem to be taking a charge Im going to take it for a long highway ride to see if it will help.
Thanks for the inverter picture it is on but outlets inside van still don't seem to be working.We will definetly need these outlets to be able to work out of the van on longer trips.Any ideas on that one?
Old 01-15-2023, 11:34 PM   #34

Quote:
Great information so I am doing some things correctly.I have it plugged into the garage outlet with an EMS with a heater in the back.However I believe I let the batteries cold soak the first night here in Utah they don't seem to be taking a charge Im going to take it for a long highway ride to see if it will help.
Thanks for the inverter picture it is on but outlets inside van still don't seem to be working.We will definetly need these outlets to be able to work out of the van on longer trips.Any ideas on that one?
If you let the battery get too cold or let them drain down you will have to plug into an actual 30 amp shore power to get the battery in a charging state again. The second alternator will not charge the battery if it is in that state no matter how far or long you drive. Meaning you will most likely have to pay a campground to allow you to charge from one of their 30 amp pedestals. It will not take a charge from just your 110 on your house current since it doesn't put out 30 amps.

If your outlets aren't working right now, what is the SOC reading? If it is low then they will not work until you are able to get the battery back into a charge state (ideally 100%).
Old 01-16-2023, 10:42 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RearViewMirror View Post
If you let the battery get too cold or let them drain down you will have to plug into an actual 30 amp shore power to get the battery in a charging state again. The second alternator will not charge the battery if it is in that state no matter how far or long you drive. Meaning you will most likely have to pay a campground to allow you to charge from one of their 30 amp pedestals. It will not take a charge from just your 110 on your house current since it doesn't put out 30 amps.

If your outlets aren't working right now, what is the SOC reading? If it is low then they will not work until you are able to get the battery back into a charge state (ideally 100%).
Looks like im going to have to find a 30 amp outlet.The outlets didn't work when I had a 100% charge so going to have to figure that out when I can get a charge on it.
Old 01-16-2023, 11:22 AM   #36

Quote:
Looks like im going to have to find a 30 amp outlet.The outlets didn't work when I had a 100% charge so going to have to figure that out when I can get a charge on it.
If the outlets didn't work with a 100% charge did you make sure the inverter was on? If it "was" on and your outlets didn't work with a full charge on your house battery then I don't have an answer for that one. If the inverter was off, then the outlets wouldn't work since no power is being supplied to them.

If you are sitting at 100% SOC on your house battery and your inverter is on and your 110 outlets are not working. I think my next option would be resetting the entire system as outlined above and see if that resets everything back to normal.

Hopefully this helps.
Old 01-18-2023, 01:45 PM   #37

Here is a great video on use of the Elwell/Timberline touch screen thermostat.

Roady77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 09:52 PM   #38

Strange. My timberline heater runs on 12 volts. Inverter off. 12 volt on. That's on a swift LI. Works great. Wonderful heater. Took a while to learn what does what and connecting all wires that jayco forgot to plug in.
Bill from Delmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 08:30 AM   #39

Mine worked with parameter 28 set to 10 amps
Bill from Delmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 09:54 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill from Delmar View Post
Strange. My timberline heater runs on 12 volts. Inverter off. 12 volt on. That's on a swift LI. Works great. Wonderful heater. Took a while to learn what does what and connecting all wires that jayco forgot to plug in.
I'm not sure how it works on the Swift since I have a Terrain. I know in the Terrain the shore power does nothing but put power back into the battery and that is it. It does nothing to power any of the electrical in the van itself. It only puts power back into the battery. The battery runs everything else in the van. As far as I know... For the Timberline heater to work in the Terrain, the inverter must be turned on. I could be wrong about this since the dealership that I bought my Terrain from has never sold a Terrain and probably never will again since these types of vehicles are not popular in this area of the nation. But that is what they told me. The only two things that actually run off of the inverter is the Timberline heater and the 110 outlets. The A/C will run off of 12V's since it is a 48V A/C. The Timberline heater draws more power thus necessitating the need for the inverter to be turned on. Everything else in the van runs off of 12V's besides the 110 outlets.