Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-16-2022, 04:52 PM   #1

Jayco Terrain

Anyone know the purpose of these vents on the jayco terrain? They don’t blow heat from furnace or A/C. Or from the cabin air controls? I’m guessing heat escape vents? Not in manuals of course.. is in cargo area. The other under passenger seats.
Attached Thumbnails
08F3C5F9-4F4A-4F3C-B68C-B830FC834753.jpg   ADB1BAEF-98F7-4154-8647-9F7B72B814E0.jpg  
Jayryan70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 06:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayryan70 View Post
Anyone know the purpose of these vents on the jayco terrain? They don’t blow heat from furnace or A/C. Or from the cabin air controls? I’m guessing heat escape vents? Not in manuals of course.. is in cargo area. The other under passenger seats.
Those are the vents for the diesel furnace. Once you turn on the furnace it should sound like a little turbine underneath the drivers side of the vehicle. Set the thermostat for the desired temp and once the external diesel heater heats up, it will blow warm air out of those two vents.

No A/C will come out of those vents. The only place that the A/C blows air is directly from the A/C unit itself.

Hope this helps.
RearViewMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 07:01 PM   #3

I figured they should blow air. Unfortunately mine isn’t blowing air with the electric or diesel heater?
Old 11-16-2022, 11:29 PM   #4

Quote:
I figured they should blow air. Unfortunately mine isn’t blowing air with the electric or diesel heater?
When you turn on the diesel heater, how long do you let it run before turning up the heat? What I mean: This is how I run the diesel heater to heat up the inside.

1: On the thermostat, turn on the diesel heater. You can actually have the heat turned all the way to the off position (IE: as low as the temp will go).

2: Let the diesel heater warm up. From what I've experienced so far... This can take a little over 5 mins. Once you hear the diesel heater really spool up (it sounds like a turbine) then you can turn the temp up to your desired temp on the display

3: It will slowly start blowing warm air. Just remember, it will blow cool air first until the ducts are filled up with warm air. You then have the option of either letting it stay in auto mode or you can manually override the fan and set the fan speed to whatever you like. The manual override will also let you know if your fan is blowing or not.

It's in the high 20's here right now and I just went out and tested mine. It's a 10+ min process before you will really start to feel the heat coming out of the vents. Once you heat it up to whatever temp you like you can return it to auto mode and it will work just like your home furnace. It will cycle the heat at whatever temp you have it set for.

Shutoff process is just the opposite. Turn the heat back down to the lowest setting (it will show off on the display). Turn off the diesel heater on the touchscreen. It will take a few mins for the diesel heater to shutdown. You will hear the turbine stop and then it is completely shut off.

Heater on. Temp set to 75

Fan speed turned up to max

There are three ducts that the heat will come out inside

Front

Right in front of the bathroom / shower

Underneath the bed

If you have the ability, I would highly suggest getting a 110 to 30 amp adapter. I have mine plugged into one of the 110 outlets in my garage running to the shoreline hookup on the side of the van. Obviously you can't put much of a draw on this otherwise you will pop a breaker on your house. But it is enough to keep the battery inside the van charged up. Since I don't want the temp to get below 40 degrees inside the van because of the lithium ion battery, I keep a digital ceramic space heater running on low in the back of the van. It keeps the inside at around 68-70 degrees while it is in the low 20's here while also keeping the battery charged.

If that walkthrough doesn't yield any results then there maybe something wrong with the diesel heater. Hopefully that isn't the case.
Old 11-16-2022, 11:42 PM   #5

Quote:
When you turn on the diesel heater, how long do you let it run before turning up the heat? What I mean: This is how I run the diesel heater to heat up the inside.

1: On the thermostat, turn on the diesel heater. You can actually have the heat turned all the way to the off position (IE: as low as the temp will go).

2: Let the diesel heater warm up. From what I've experienced so far... This can take a little over 5 mins. Once you hear the diesel heater really spool up (it sounds like a turbine) then you can turn the temp up to your desired temp on the display

3: Make sure that your fan isn't in the Manual Override and set to zero. If it is... It will not blow any air. The manual override will let you know if your fan is blowing or not. If it is running normally, it will slowly start blowing warm air. Just remember, it will blow cool air first until the ducts are filled up with warm air. You then have the option of either letting it stay in auto mode or you can manually override the fan and set the fan speed to whatever you like.

It's in the high 20's here right now and I just went out and tested mine. It's a 10+ min process before you will really start to feel the heat coming out of the vents. Once you heat it up to whatever temp you like you can return it to auto mode and it will work just like your home furnace. It will cycle the heat at whatever temp you have it set for.

Shutoff process is just the opposite. Turn the heat back down to the lowest setting (it will show off on the display). Turn off the diesel heater on the touchscreen. It will take a few mins for the diesel heater to shutdown. You will hear the turbine stop and then it is completely shut off.

Front

Underneath the bed

If you have the ability, I would highly suggest getting a 110 to 30 amp adapter. I have mine plugged into one of the 110 outlets in my garage running to the shoreline hookup on the side of the van. Obviously you can't put much of a draw on this otherwise you will pop a breaker on your house. But it is enough to keep the battery inside the van charged up. Since I don't want the temp to get below 40 degrees inside the van because of the lithium ion battery, I keep a digital ceramic space heater running on low in the back of the van. It keeps the inside at around 68-70 degrees while it is in the low 20's here while also keeping the battery charged.

If that walkthrough doesn't yield any results then there maybe something wrong with the diesel heater. Hopefully that isn't the case.
Old 11-16-2022, 11:43 PM   #6

I’ll give this a try for sure. Thanks for help and photos ����
Old 11-16-2022, 11:46 PM   #7

Quote:

3: Make sure that your fan isn't in the Manual Override and set to zero. If it is... It will not blow any air. The manual override will let you know if your fan is blowing or not. If it is running normally, it will slowly start blowing warm air. Just remember, it will blow cool air first until the ducts are filled up with warm air. You then have the option of either letting it stay in auto mode or you can manually override the fan and set the fan speed to whatever you like.

Front

Underneath the bed

If that walkthrough doesn't yield any results then there maybe something wrong with the diesel heater or blower. Hopefully that isn't the case.
Old 11-16-2022, 11:48 PM   #8

Quote:
I’ll give this a try for sure. Thanks for help and photos ����
No problem. I hope this helps. There is very little information in the manuals like you mentioned.

But I got to thinking that if you happen to have the thermostat set to manual and the fan speed set to zero, that "could" be the problem. Hopefully it is something as simple as that.
Old 11-17-2022, 12:13 AM   #9

Something else I thought of. At night when it starts to really get cold. I put the shades that came with the van up on the driver and passenger side doors and the front windshield. The shades that come with the van for the driver and passenger side are really sub par with how they fit (at least on my van). The magnets are not nearly strong enough to keep them attached to the metal door frame. The front shade for the windshield is perfect though. The side ones will get replaced with something far better. Either way... If you put them on the windows at night it will keep the heat from escaping through the windows. That digital ceramic heater that I keep in the back of the van is more than enough to keep the temp inside the van well above 60 degrees while it is in the low 20's here.
Old 11-17-2022, 12:29 AM   #10

On the driver and passenger shades u gotta open the door attach with magnets then close the door, they work greatl
My blowers still not working. I don’t think they are hooked up at factory. Gonna take it in. Arrrggjjh!!!
Old 11-17-2022, 12:53 AM   #11

Quote:
On the driver and passenger shades u gotta open the door attach with magnets then close the door, they work greatl
My blowers still not working. I don’t think they are hooked up at factory. Gonna take it in. Arrrggjjh!!!
That's what I've been doing with my driver and passenger shades. It works but there are better shades out there on the market with stronger magnets. So far that has been my only complaint so if that's as bad as it gets then I'll be happy.

Hate to hear that about the heater. It's frustrating when you spend this amount of money to have to take it back.
Old 11-17-2022, 09:43 AM   #12

What do u mean exactly by not having the thermostat set to manual override. Could u Maybe post a quick video of the procedure u go through to activate those vents?
Old 11-17-2022, 10:00 AM   #13

Quote:
What do u mean exactly by not having the thermostat set to manual override. Could u Maybe post a quick video of the procedure u go through to activate those vents?
I can try to post a video later today.

Basically... If you click on the settings tab (top right corner) of the thermostat, the second page that comes up is your auto fan speed or your manual fan speed (second picture I posted in the above post). Once you get to that page, you have the option of leaving the unit in auto which will work much like your house thermostat. But if you have it checked for "manual" you can adjust the fan speed to whatever you like. When you mentioned the fan wasn't blowing, that was the first thing that popped in my head. Maybe the "manual" fan speed is checked and turned down to zero? If it was, I imagine it was that way when you picked it up from the dealership.

If it is set to zero fan speed, you don't need to drag your finger to move the bar to put it in a higher fan speed in manual mode. You can just touch the bar anywhere and it will up the fan speed according to where you touched the bar (if that makes sense?). So if it is in manual mode, you can just touch it around the 3/4 mark on the bar and it will run at about 75% fan speed. Or if you touch the end of the bar it will run at 100% and so on. The only reason I mentioned the manual override is it will allow you to quickly determine if your blower is working correctly.

It's about a 10 min process to get it all going. And I'm not sure how well your dealer described all the features and functions of the unit when you took delivery. The way it worked for me was, well, lacking. That isn't the dealerships fault. I can promise that we have one of the only 4WD Mercedes Conversion vans in this state. They just aren't popular here like they are out West. The guy that did the walkthrough with us certainly tried his best but he had never even laid eyes on one of these. So he had been in contact with Jayco all day before delivery and he did the best he could at explaining everything.

The Jayco Reps are supposed to be here tomorrow for the full walkthrough with me. I have a few questions that need to be answered myself. And like you alluded to, the owner's manual isn't that great at finding answers.
Old 11-17-2022, 10:15 AM   #14

Just went out and noticed all my cargo 110 outlets don’t work. So I think it may just be a breaker Might be causing vent fans issue’ as well Now I gotta find it lol
Old 11-17-2022, 10:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Just went out and noticed all my cargo 110 outlets don’t work. So I think it may just be a breaker Might be causing vent fans issue’ as well Now I gotta find it lol
Maybe? Is it just the cargo 110 outlets or all 100 outlets? Do you have the inverter turned on inside the van?
Old 11-17-2022, 10:27 AM   #16

Inverter on no idea of load center location
Old 11-17-2022, 10:42 AM   #17

I've been leaving mine hooked up to one of the 110 outlets in my garage with an adapter that runs to the shore power. Today is the first actual sunny day we have had here since I picked it up. The inverter is on and the only thing running inside the van is the refrigerator. I've don't have to go anywhere until this evening so I'm curious about how much the solar puts back into the battery or how much the battery drops throughout the day with just the refrigerator running.

I know everyone wants to know how long you can actually run the A/C on just the battery for boondocking. I would like to know that also. But I understand that is completely dependant on so many outside factors that could change from day to day or hour to hour. And quite honestly? I'm too lazy to do the math right now. Right now there is just no way for me to test that since it's cold here.
Old 11-17-2022, 11:04 AM   #18

Lol... Looking back up through this thread... I've no idea why my reply with all the pictures posted so many times? Sorry about that.
Old 11-22-2022, 02:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RearViewMirror View Post

Front

Underneath the bed

If that walkthrough doesn't yield any results then there maybe something wrong with the diesel heater or blower. Hopefully that isn't the case.
The vent by the bathroom door is not a heating duct, it is a vent for the hydronic heat exchanger, it puts out ambient heat, it is not ducted.

You can boost/speed up the hydronic air/water heating process by turning on the electric heating element (bottom right on thermostat).

There is no need, and actually wastes battery power, to have the inverter on when operating DC powered components only.

Keep in mind when boondocking, you only have a 24 gallon diesel tank and the heater will not turn on when the tank is at a certain level, I believe it has to be above 1/4. You can also carry a DC powered electric blanket, use it to keep warm at night while setting thermostat at 50 degrees or so, then place it over battery compartment to keep battery warm when needed (do not block vents). Here is another idea: https://youtu.be/QhFjXltPrag?t=1666
markb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 06:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb View Post
The vent by the bathroom door is not a heating duct, it is a vent for the hydronic heat exchanger, it puts out ambient heat, it is not ducted.

You can boost/speed up the hydronic air/water heating process by turning on the electric heating element (bottom right on thermostat).

There is no need, and actually wastes battery power, to have the inverter on when operating DC powered components only.

Keep in mind when boondocking, you only have a 24 gallon diesel tank and the heater will not turn on when the tank is at a certain level, I believe it has to be above 1/4. You can also carry a DC powered electric blanket, use it to keep warm at night while setting thermostat at 50 degrees or so, then place it over battery compartment to keep battery warm when needed (do not block vents). Here is another idea: https://youtu.be/QhFjXltPrag?t=1666
I've been running the inverter on at night just to power the 110 outlet and the ceramic heater in the van while parked at the house. I "was" leaving the inverter on all the time since while driving the alternator would keep the battery charged anyway. But in the last week, I've been turning off the inverter during the day just to save power if not plugged into shore power.

I was cleaning out the van and just making some quality of life adjustments to make the inside of the van a little quieter while going down the road. Filled up the DEF, had a few errands to run, etc... I was messing around in the garage and heard a beeping from the back of the van about once a min. Wasn't sure if it was actually coming from my van or something in the neighborhood but quickly figured out it was coming from the back of the van. Pulled the panel off and it showed a fault (fault light blinking). The display sits far enough back and is setting sideways inside the rear compartment so I couldn't see what the fault was. Mind you, the inverter was off at this point in time and not plugged into shore power. I shut down the entire system in the order you are supposed to shut it down. Turned off the battery and let it sit for 5 mins. Restarted the system in the correct order and let the inverter go through its cycle while holding the reset button until the last click (a little over 5 secs or so). Still a fault. The Jayco dealership is within a mile from our house and drove it down there. The issue is... We are probably the only owners of a van like this in the state and the Jayco dealership has zero idea what they are doing. Not exactly their fault since there just aren't any of these in the state. We actually had a Jayco rep come down last Friday to walk me through the van but I knew more about the systems then he did. "What was the use in you even coming down here if you have to make a call over every single question that I asked???" He couldn't even tell me how to set the time on the stereo inside the van and I had to figure that out myself. The only guy that halfway knows what he is doing is off for the week for the holiday. We tried to call the Jayco rep while I was there but of course he didn't pick up (vacation and all). But... I did end up getting it reset to where it is operating back to normal with the inverter on. I'm to scared to turn the inverter off at this point since it is operating properly "right now".

We've only had the van for 2 weeks today. The first week I ran with the inverter on all the time. The second week I only turned on the inverter when I plugged into shore power as there really is no need to run the inverter if you are not running the diesel heater or have anything plugged into one of the 110 outlets. But now that I have it working again... I'm actually scared to turn the inverter off now that it is working properly.

Had I been a little more clear minded at the time, I could have checked the Firefly system to see what fault code had been thrown instead of trying to see the screen in the back compartment. But I wasn't clear minded enough at the time because the beeping from the rear surprised me and seeing the "fault" worried me.