Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-13-2023, 03:24 PM   #1

Pacemaker and magnetic fields…

We spent one night in our new Jayco Swift. My husband’s pacemaker had inference. Does anyone know the extent of magnetic fields under either of the twin beds. I know the lithium ion battery is under the passenger side bed along with a cooling fan, etc. Aside from the cooling fan, does anyone know of any other motors, equipment or alternators under the beds that may contain magnets? Trying to decide if he should sleep on the other side or if it’s something else causing the interference. Thanks.
DMcKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 08:25 PM   #2

That's seems kind of serious. I'd be asking Jayco was the as built electrical plans for your unit. You will need to know your VIN number. (Is VIN number redundant.)
Old 02-13-2023, 10:10 PM   #3

Thank you. I reached out to my salesman and he said he would send an email to the Jayco rep as to the layout under the beds. As I said, we bought it Friday and only stayed one night so far.
DMcKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 10:26 PM   #4

You were plugged into Shore Power, I assume? We don't have that model, but the wiring is all under our bed and is a complete rat's nest mess. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be emitting all sorts of interference.

On our model, there would be room to add shielding.
And cleaning up Jayco's mess has been on my to-do list for some time.
Old 02-14-2023, 05:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcKee View Post
Thank you. I reached out to my salesman and he said he would send an email to the Jayco rep as to the layout under the beds. As I said, we bought it Friday and only stayed one night so far.
Don't be hesitant to contact Jayco directly. Many of us have had excellent customer service experiences by calling the factory.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 09:51 AM   #6

As someone with a defib/pacemaker for the last 20 years, if it is something in the RV it would be an anomaly. Before I retired I was working around a multitude of magnetic fields with a welder being the strongest with no issues and they only require 24" of separation. The vast majority of devices that may cause interference only require 6" of separation, even cell phones. The mattress on the bed is close to that.
Old 02-14-2023, 12:49 PM   #7

My career was in the field of theft detection systems, one of which was electromagnetic. I can say for a fact that walking through one of those magnetic fields had absolutely no affect on pacemakers. They put out a pretty decent field too. Manufacturers make sure people aren't going to drop dead when walking through one of their detection systems.

Having said that, I once had a customer who was a fanatic when it came to magnetic fields. He used a gauss meter to measure the fields from any electronic device in his area. He actually moved his desk away from things and turned off fluorescent lights.

You can buy a meter off Amazon and do you own checking rather than relying on Jayco.

FYI - magnetic fields are generated any time you pass current through a wire. The more current, the more a field is generated. That is why people don't like to live under power lines. Typically current going through the wiring we encounter is not sufficient to cause problems.

Transformers can produce magnetic fields. If you are getting interference in your rig I would look first at the converter, inverter, and transfer switch. They could be sources of interference.

Sorry about the long dissertation. Can't help myself when it comes to what I worked on for over 40 years. Also, I am not glowing after being exposed for all those years. Of course I did grow a second head.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 04:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcKee View Post
We spent one night in our new Jayco Swift. My husband’s pacemaker had inference. Does anyone know the extent of magnetic fields under either of the twin beds. I know the lithium ion battery is under the passenger side bed along with a cooling fan, etc. Aside from the cooling fan, does anyone know of any other motors, equipment or alternators under the beds that may contain magnets? Trying to decide if he should sleep on the other side or if it’s something else causing the interference. Thanks.
What is the frequency you are affected by? I found this, frequencies from 30 to 100 MHz, aluminum foil provides at least 85 dB of shielding effectiveness. Unfortunately, aluminum foil is extremely inadequate against low frequency magnetic fields, where thick steel or highly permeable ferrite material provides more adequate shielding. These conditions are just some of the many reasons that shielding has limited effectiveness, creating the requirement for added filtering.

Tags
magnets, pacemaker