Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-19-2023, 02:48 PM   #1

Post Renogy | Terrain Training Video

Here it is, straight from the horses mouth. This video covers:

0:00 Intro
0:21 Flowchart of System Components
2:49 Turning the Lithium Battery On
6:55 Reading the Firefly Screen
8:50 Reading the Samkoon Screen
12:59 Turning On Solar/How to Charge the Battery
16:40 Troubleshooting: Dead Battery
28:17 Re-Calibrating the BMS
34:58 Battery Shut-Down Procedure
40:10 Short-Term Vs. Long-Term Storage

ajais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 05:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajais View Post
Here it is, straight from the horses mouth. This video covers:

Finally!!! A comprehensive in depth look at how the system actually works and what to do when things happen. Thank you for finding that video. It's a shame that isn't included with the Jayco information when you purchase your unit.
RearViewMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 05:42 PM   #3

I'm glad to know that I've been doing it right all along with absolutely zero help from Jayco themselves. From turning the system on to turning it off in case of a fault. I have done everything correctly so I feel pretty proud of being able to do that with zero instruction.

That video is now saved and will be referred to often.
Old 02-02-2023, 07:56 AM   #4

[QUOTE=ajais;1091677]Here it is, straight from the horses mouth. This video covers:

Thank you for posting this! So helpful. One thing I still can't figure out.. Should the inverter/charger stay powered on (allows charging via solar, screen on, ect.) when I turn off the inverter via the remote switch? Mine turns off completely and it seems wrong that I would have to have the inverter running in order to charge via solar since the charge from the solar would be mostly if not completely offset but the discharge from the inverter. Thanks in advance for any help
njhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 08:38 AM   #5

[QUOTE=njhunt;1093918]
Quote:

Thank you for posting this! So helpful. One thing I still can't figure out.. Should the inverter/charger stay powered on (allows charging via solar, screen on, ect.) when I turn off the inverter via the remote switch? Mine turns off completely and it seems wrong that I would have to have the inverter running in order to charge via solar since the charge from the solar would be mostly if not completely offset but the discharge from the inverter. Thanks in advance for any help
This will be kind of a long post so bear with me but it might give you an idea of what to expect.

For what it's worth, this has been my experience with the inverter and solar (so far). For the first couple weeks we owned the van we ran with the inverter off unless we were plugged into shore power from our house. The only thing that runs off the inverter is the 110 outlets in the van, and the electric heating element in Timberline heater which heats up the van faster and also runs your on demand hot water. You can run the heater without the electric heating element turned on, it just takes a little bit longer for it to blow hot air. Other than that? There is no reason you should have to run the inverter turned on.

Saying that... A couple weeks after owning the van, it threw a fault just sitting in my driveway unplugged from shore power with the inverter off and nothing running inside the van other than the fridge. Went through the entire reset process and it threw it again. So for the next month or so we just left the inverter on since that seemed to correct the problem. The issue is, you "shouldn't" have to run with the inverter on because the inverter has a parasitic draw of about 1-2% SOC per hour. And all solar does is essentially keep the battery from dropping during the period of time that it actually receives sun. So for most of a 24 hr day the inverter will have a parasitic will draw off the battery.

So I ended up turning it back off and it didn't throw any more faults until this week. I had to drive the van 150 miles to the closest Mercedes dealership that actually works on Sprinter vans Sunday night for an A/C compressor that was leaking. I've been stuck in an actual ice storm for the last 4 days. Luckily I have a friend that lives up here and I've been able to stay at their house during this time. But I can't plug the van into shore power at his house since it kicks his GFI in the garage. So I have an extension cord run into the back of the van with my small digital ceramic heater sitting in the garage area of the van. But for a couple nights the temps dropped down into the low teens here so I ran the diesel heater overnight. In 4 days, the SOC has dropped down to 73% so it's nice to know how long you can actually run the van in these conditions. I could actually live in the van during this time but it would suck just sitting in a parking lot somewhere.

Yesterday it threw a fault again. Beeping from the rear of the van. Took the panel off and the display was showing exactly what it did the last time it did this. It would flash a fault, the display will go from 0V to 53.5V and back down to 0V and repeat. Checked the Firefly panel and the Renogy panel and both were showing zero faults. I know my solar panels are covered with ice right now. But the first time it did this they weren't and it was a nice, warm, sunny day. So I reset the entire system. Shut it all down, let it sit there for about 15 mins, started it back up, and as soon as I turned the solar charger back on it threw the fault again. I can turn the inverter on and it clears the fault. But as soon as I turn the inverter off? Fault comes back. So I just turned the solar off since the panels are useless right now anyway. No more fault. Turned it back on later last night and it's not throwing a fault.

I have no idea what it's doing or why it's doing this. There is no fault code on any screen when it does this. All screens show normal other than the one behind the panel in the rear. But that screen doesn't show a fault code. The Renogy screen shows normal when it is clearly not.

I wish I had the answer you are looking for but I don't. You "shouldn't" have to have the inverter on at any time other than running the 110 outlets in the van. That's it. But there is some kind of issue with the solar charger and the inverter and whether the inverter is on or off.

What I "can" say. I've been stuck in this ice storm for the last 4 days and my house battery SOC has only drained down to 73%. And that was running the Timberline heater all night for 2 nights straight. Inverter off the entire time. If the inverter was on? I would have to have a place to recharge the battery or go for a drive.

Wish I could be more help but that has been my experience so far.
Old 02-02-2023, 09:47 AM   #6

Ah ha! I can help here. I encountered the same "fault" BUT ONLY AFTER I FIXED MY SOLAR CHARGING (it was disconnected in the Inverter/Charger - came that way from the factory - what a pain to completely disassemble the side panel to get at the inverter!).

After discussion with a DEHCO tech, here is what I learned:

1. As pointed out above, the Inverter ONLY needs to be on for the following cases:
a. Charging from shore power - it MUST be on or it will not charge.
b. Powering the 110v plugs in the van.
c. Using the optional electrical element for heating (diesel burning heating and hot water work fine without the inverter on).

2. When disconnected from shore-power and charging with solar, WITH THE INVERTER OFF, the inverter will give you an alarm when the amount of solar energy is right at the boarder of what it takes to charge the battery. This happens as the sun goes down or parked in a heavily shaded area, or if the panels are partially obscured by dust, ice or snow... THIS IS NORMAL BEHAVIOR AND NOT A FAULT. It is an "alarm" (a super annoying one!). What is even more annoying is that if you TURN ON the inverter, this "alarm" DOES NOT GET TRIGGERED (there is no explanation as to why this behavior was coded in the firmware, I can only guess that it is a bug). This incorrectly makes one believe that the inverter needs to be on all the time. It doesn't. You can prevent this behavior by going into your inverter and DISABLING setting #25 which by default is set to ENA and needs to be set to DIS.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-02-2023, 10:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Ah ha! I can help here. I encountered the same "fault" BUT ONLY AFTER I FIXED MY SOLAR CHARGING (it was disconnected in the Inverter/Charger - came that way from the factory - what a pain to completely disassemble the side panel to get at the inverter!).

After discussion with a DEHCO tech, here is what I learned:

1. As pointed out above, the Inverter ONLY needs to be on for the following cases:
a. Charging from shore power - it MUST be on or it will not charge.
b. Powering the 110v plugs in the van.
c. Using the optional electrical element for heating (diesel burning heating and hot water work fine without the inverter on).

2. When disconnected from shore-power and charging with solar, WITH THE INVERTER OFF, the inverter will give you an alarm when the amount of solar energy is right at the boarder of what it takes to charge the battery. This happens as the sun goes down or parked in a heavily shaded area, or if the panels are partially obscured by dust, ice or snow... THIS IS NORMAL BEHAVIOR AND NOT A FAULT. It is an "alarm" (a super annoying one!). What is even more annoying is that if you TURN ON the inverter, this "alarm" DOES NOT GET TRIGGERED (there is no explanation as to why this behavior was coded in the firmware, I can only guess that it is a bug). This incorrectly makes one believe that the inverter needs to be on all the time. It doesn't. You can prevent this behavior by going into your inverter and DISABLING setting #25 which by default is set to ENA and needs to be set to DIS.

Hope this helps!
That is very helpful my friend! Thank you very much for the info. You're right, those are the exact conditions that it has occured. I have to drive it back to Jayco later this month so I will get them to look at this while also getting the rest of the warranty work done.

Thank you once again for the info.
Old 02-02-2023, 06:25 PM   #8

I am having a similar issue. I disabled setting 25 but the inverter remotel buttons start flashing after a period of time, no noise though. Also if I have solar turned on the battery will not charge off of the alternator. As soon as I disconnect solar the batteries charge from alternator. WTF
Jboz54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 08:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboz54 View Post
I am having a similar issue. I disabled setting 25 but the inverter remotel buttons start flashing after a period of time, no noise though. Also if I have solar turned on the battery will not charge off of the alternator. As soon as I disconnect solar the batteries charge from alternator. WTF
Something is going on. I'm not messing with mine as it works normally "most" of the time. Only did it once while I was stranded for the last 4 days and that was with the van running on house battery and nothing else.

I will be able to give more information since I am traveling up to the Jayco factory for warranty repairs on the 20th. I'm not messing with anything since it works normally the vast majority of time and will be looked at while back at the factory. I've not had an issue (yet) with the inverter not working. Only the solar acting wonky every once in a while. But I'll be able to get it figured out and report back with anything that I learn while up there.
Old 04-26-2023, 08:00 PM   #10

Samkoon “no device response”

Help! We purchased this van brand new, and the dealer told us to “reset” the battery system when we identified this fault during our walkthrough. The reset did not work, and we’ve done some initial troubleshooting with technical support but they don’t know why it reads a fault. Anyone have ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2523.jpg  
LaurenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 08:06 PM   #11

That is bad. Take it back to the dealer. Your Samkoon is not communicating with the battery. If the dealer is too far away, call DEHCO +1 (800) 621-2278. I encourage you to join the Jayco Terrain Facebook group. Lots of good support there
Old 04-26-2023, 08:11 PM   #12

Thanks for the response, that’s our next step also, just a pain when we were planning on using it :/. Great suggestion to join the FB group! Don’t be surprised if I post there as well, since we’re trying everything we can prior to dropping it back off for who know how long.
LaurenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 09:38 AM   #13

Thanks for the great information about the setting 25. Mine did show a similar symptom a couple of days ago. We were at a farmers market all day and the system was working great. A/C running of battery, Solar was charging all good. In the evening it got cloudy and during packing up the market stand I was parked in the shade, I heard it beep from the back. Good to know it is just an alert and not a real fault. I will try with setting 25 == DISABLED next.

Mike
mkostersitz is offline   Reply With Quote