Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-30-2022, 09:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlewand33 View Post
Did you ever walk through all the parameters on the inverter?
Mine is constantly beeping and would like to compare settings before I call Jayco.
Dealer brushed it off and said the inverter switch by the seats needs to be turned on to stop beeping. I am pretty sure that only needs to be turned on when connected to shore power or using high voltage outlets.

Inverter beeps a few times and then restarts. Voltage shows 53.4 on it and Renogy in cabinet SOC shows 100%. When I flip the solar inverter switch OFF, stops beeping and inverter turns off.

Definitely appreciate any help; something is definitely wrong.
Thanks,
I have a beep also when the inverter is turned off at the wired remote (above passenger seat headrest). I have no faults on any panels and do not know why the alarm sounds but suspect it is due to the inverter charger no longer charging the battery and/or an inverter charger program setting is incorrect. Four of the manuals that came with the Terrain were very important for me to understand electrical system operation; Renogy Solar Inverter Charger, Renogy Rover Boost, Renogy Dehco Electronics Jayco Terrain 19Y 4x4, and Vegatouch 2022 Jayco Terrain V12 Manual. When reviewing those materials, it was easy to discern the important snippets. The Renogy Solar Inverter Charger Manual has adjustable parameters starting on page 23. Check the Rover Boost, mounted on the plywood to the right of the solar disconnect; hard to see but make sure it is set to the correct battery type and matches inverter charger setting (setting 08 on page 25). I am not a Lithium Battery expert but, from what I could find online, the battery is a LF16 battery. The Battery says it is 51.2 volts on the side of it, the internet says 48 Volt batteries have 3.2 volt cells, 51.2 divided by 3.2 is 16, so it is a 16 string battery in my thoughts. I am experiencing a problem with the 48v alternator not charging the way I think it should. I thought 48v alternators produced enough voltage and amps to charge at idle, the manuals say the engine needs to be at 1500 RPM to charge, but I thought that was the way a 12v alternator works (mine will charge at 1000 rpm but not idle, the alternator is putting out 53v+ at idle). It may be one of the inverter charger settings that I am not aware of, I did go in and set most of the inverter charger settings to the "Default" setting except 08 and 28; I set 28 at 20A so I can charge from my house outlet, my terrain will never see a campground so 28 will probably stay at 20A. I am turning my van in tomorrow for winch, bumper, suspension upgrade, tire carrier, Owl B2 with expedition box so I will not be able to experiment for a bit; please let me know if you discover anything related.
markb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 09:44 PM   #22
Cbn

I believe why the other owner and I chose Li15 is based on the attached section of the manual. It states 15 string at 54v and 16 at 57v. Since the battery states 51.2 volts 15 string more closely matched the battery voltage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb View Post
I have a beep also when the inverter is turned off at the wired remote (above passenger seat headrest). I have no faults on any panels and do not know why the alarm sounds but suspect it is due to the inverter charger no longer charging the battery and/or an inverter charger program setting is incorrect. Four of the manuals that came with the Terrain were very important for me to understand electrical system operation; Renogy Solar Inverter Charger, Renogy Rover Boost, Renogy Dehco Electronics Jayco Terrain 19Y 4x4, and Vegatouch 2022 Jayco Terrain V12 Manual. When reviewing those materials, it was easy to discern the important snippets. The Renogy Solar Inverter Charger Manual has adjustable parameters starting on page 23. Check the Rover Boost, mounted on the plywood to the right of the solar disconnect; hard to see but make sure it is set to the correct battery type and matches inverter charger setting (setting 08 on page 25). I am not a Lithium Battery expert but, from what I could find online, the battery is a LF16 battery. The Battery says it is 51.2 volts on the side of it, the internet says 48 Volt batteries have 3.2 volt cells, 51.2 divided by 3.2 is 16, so it is a 16 string battery in my thoughts. I am experiencing a problem with the 48v alternator not charging the way I think it should. I thought 48v alternators produced enough voltage and amps to charge at idle, the manuals say the engine needs to be at 1500 RPM to charge, but I thought that was the way a 12v alternator works (mine will charge at 1000 rpm but not idle, the alternator is putting out 53v+ at idle). It may be one of the inverter charger settings that I am not aware of, I did go in and set most of the inverter charger settings to the "Default" setting except 08 and 28; I set 28 at 20A so I can charge from my house outlet, my terrain will never see a campground so 28 will probably stay at 20A. I am turning my van in tomorrow for winch, bumper, suspension upgrade, tire carrier, Owl B2 with expedition box so I will not be able to experiment for a bit; please let me know if you discover anything related.
Attached Thumbnails
BADAF250-FF77-4421-BB3B-4C9A4B2146C9.jpg  
Cbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 09:49 PM   #23
Cbn

My alternator only charges at 1,500 rpm as well. If you open up the battery compartment you’ll see an American Power Systems regulator. I believe this regulator is for the alternator but I could be wrong. See attached image.

The regulator provides status updates via colored and blinking lights. Not the most intuitive means of communication so I need to study up on it.

Quote:
Attached Thumbnails
5BB4DD8D-41B2-4525-9DF0-B908EFB21A26.jpg  
Old 05-30-2022, 09:59 PM   #24
Cbn

Here is the alternator regulator from APS

https://www.americanpowerinc.com/alternator-regulators/

Some believe the Sprinters emissions system have issues when idled for long periods. Therefore APS / Jayco set the charging to begin at 1500 rpms to discourage owners idling. I’m sure APS could modify the programming to allow charging at idling.

The only viable solution I’m aware of is the high idle kit from Midcity engineering. See below link.

https://www.midcityengineering.com/product/smartkey-starter-remote-start-alarm-for-mercedes-benz-freightliner-sprinter-sksng907rv/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbn View Post
My alternator only charges at 1,500 rpm as well. If you open up the battery compartment you’ll see an American Power Systems regulator. I believe this regulator is for the alternator but I could be wrong. See attached image.

The regulator provides status updates via colored and blinking lights. Not the most intuitive means of communication so I need to study up on it.
Old 05-30-2022, 10:09 PM   #25

Isn't that a charging chart?
Below is one of the internet resources I found, the math works; 3.2 volts x 16 strings = 51.2 volts. It also lines up with the stated 10kw power. 51.2 volts x 210 AH = 10,752 watts. 54 volts x 210 AH = 11,340 watts. 54 volts divided by 15 is 3.6, I could find no reference to 48 volt batteries that were built with 3.6 volt cells but I could find several references online that LiFePO4 48 volt batteries are built with 3.2 volt cells.
Again, I am not a Lithium Battery expert, but I do know ohms law and this article made sense to me.
https://footprinthero.com/lifepo4-ba...voltage-charts
Old 05-30-2022, 10:25 PM   #26

Quote:

Here is a copy of the LED Status/Advisory codes. Mine has stayed in sync mode, think it is connected to the BMS.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf APS500 LED FAULT CODES.pdf (1.23 MB, 48 views)
Old 05-30-2022, 10:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Here is the alternator regulator from APS

https://www.americanpowerinc.com/alternator-regulators/

Some believe the Sprinters emissions system have issues when idled for long periods. Therefore APS / Jayco set the charging to begin at 1500 rpms to discourage owners idling. I’m sure APS could modify the programming to allow charging at idling.

The only viable solution I’m aware of is the high idle kit from Midcity engineering. See below link.

https://www.midcityengineering.com/p...er-sksng907rv/
But mine charges at 1000 rpm and I believe it can at idle. Where does it say that Jayco/APS set it up that way?
Old 05-30-2022, 10:32 PM   #28

Quote:
I believe why the other owner and I chose Li15 is based on the attached section of the manual. It states 15 string at 54v and 16 at 57v. Since the battery states 51.2 volts 15 string more closely matched the battery voltage.
I posted a response justifying why I believe it is a 16 string but it is waiting for moderator approval for some reason.
Old 05-30-2022, 11:17 PM   #29
Cbn

I have yet to receive manuals but another owner posted that this is what a manual states.

I haven’t confirmed the exact rpm it begins charging but I know we didn’t see changes in charging current with or without engine running. I do know that when dealer tech held engine at 1500 to 1800 rpm there was about 109 amps showing on firefly screen.

Assuming the balance of tomorrow’s inspection goes well I’ll have more accurate data later this week. Today was hectic so wasn’t the environment to confirm exact specifications. The dealership wants this closed by tomorrow so they had 3 people working on it.

Quote:
But mine charges at 1000 rpm and I believe it can at idle. Where does it say that Jayco/APS set it up that way?
Old 05-30-2022, 11:39 PM   #30
Cbn

Based on a cursory review of a similarly size Lithionics battery I think you’re correct. This is a 16s battery.

The correct battery type is LF16.

Quote:
I posted a response justifying why I believe it is a 16 string but it is waiting for moderator approval for some reason.
Old 05-31-2022, 08:38 AM   #31

I'll have to change mine to L16 today and report back. Mine also doesn't charge at idle.

This is a great discussion! I hoped that the manuals had a bit more info but oh well.
Dway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 08:57 AM   #32
Cbn

From my research this is the most info one can find on the internet about the electrical system.

There’s a learning curve but I think it’s a great system aside from no charging at idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlewand33 View Post
I'll have to change mine to L16 today and report back. Mine also doesn't charge at idle.

This is a great discussion! I hoped that the manuals had a bit more info but oh well.
Old 06-01-2022, 03:10 PM   #33

I’ve had my Launch for a couple months now and there’s still a lot about the electrical systems that don’t make sense.
WhiskeyWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 07:03 PM   #34
Cbn

Ended up closing on the Terrain! I have pdf of owners manual and electrical system best practices that I’ll upload in a new thread.

To the owner with a beep coming from the inverter / charger yet there were no errors on inverter….I think the beeping is coming from a firefly module in the same compartment. I had the same issue and resolved it by going into the advance settings within the IPhone Firefly app and then pressing reset module. The beep went away.

Quote:
From my research this is the most info one can find on the internet about the electrical system.

There’s a learning curve but I think it’s a great system aside from no charging at idle.
Old 06-01-2022, 08:01 PM   #35

Your inverter will beep around dusk and dawn when there isn’t a lot of solar. You can fix this by adjusting inverter setting number 25 to DIS.
WhiskeyWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 08:14 PM   #36

Took delivery on a Terrain in May. All I got on the batteries was a set of copied pages from Renogy, and I don’t see any fault codes or what to do. I solved my alert beeping by the recovery process spelled out in the manual, but it has recurred. Seems like there is a QC problem at assembly if all these new units are having battery issues. Appreciate the sharing and hopefully Renogy will post a better user manual that addresses these issues. 120 miles round trip to dealer was not how I want to put miles on my Terrain.
Roady77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 08:41 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyWagon View Post
Your inverter will beep around dusk and dawn when there isn’t a lot of solar. You can fix this by adjusting inverter setting number 25 to DIS.
Thanks! I had a hunch it may be caused by low solar and shade since it also happens when driving sometimes.

When parked in the driveway and not being used do you guys leave the main battery switch on ( mine is located in the back ) and turn off 12v switch and the Renogy Inverter button by Firefly touchpad? The manual doesn't state best practices. If I leave that button on the Renogy screen shows about 1.2A being discharged when nothing is on or running. I also notice if I have that button off, the lights blink on it.

Roady77, I know your pain. I've had several issues and am 6 hours away from dealer. Biggest issues is a major water leak with the plumbing that was fixed twice and a misaligned flare window which needs to be replaced. I've now learned the hard way to inspect every inch 10 times during pre delivery. I even have an oil leak so now need to have Mercedes service work too! Just keep breathing...
Dway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 03:14 PM   #38

My unit was delivered to me with 0% SOC and the inverter was not properly set.
CAUTION: There is a warning against utilizing ANY other charging methods “charging cart”.
A battery “recovery” has to be performed and shore power needs to be connected to properly reset the charging circuit.
A 100% SOC needs to be achieved for the battery to be reset.
Sorry if I’m providing information that you already know. None of this was initially provided to me.
Harmsway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 09:57 AM   #39

Any luck resolving your issues?
Harmsway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 02:02 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmsway View Post
Any luck resolving your issues?
last time in they reset Battery Charging Mode to Solar priority, had been shore priority. The battery did charge to 100% SOC, but if the A/C is run, which draws 22-25 amps, after about 20 min and 8-10% reduction to SOC, the alarm sequence starts again (all 3 LED solid, then screen blacks out, then audible alarm, screen reboots and volts climb from 0 to 51v, then blacks out and all three LED come back on solid. Going back in tomorrow for a third time.
Roady77 is offline   Reply With Quote