Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-06-2022, 05:09 PM   #81

I’ll give this a try.
Thanks
Crazy_Ivz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 10:26 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlewand33 View Post
Mark, I've tested that my inverter needs to be on to charge via alternator. It also cannot be in a fault as well or else it won't charge. Still haven't gotten an ETA when the fix will be out for that yet.

Figured I'd chime in with my experience.
My inverter is only on when I need AC power and the rare occasion I plug into 15 amp shore power. I monitor the house battery charging while driving with the Mira app and do not have the inverter on. There is a separate component that charges the house battery with the 48 volt alternator; i do not remember the component name at the moment but that info is in the manuals
markb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 03:02 PM   #83

Service dept. got back to me and said that things are working properly.
1. bathroom light only comes on manually at the light switch and not through the firefly touchscreen.
2. The battery monitor system in the cabinet
Does not communicate with the firefly touchscreen.
3. The alternator is charging the battery.
My question is can anyone here confirm this is correct?
On the terrain owners manual. It shows the bath light as well as the renogy battery system on the firefly touchscreen.
I also ran the van for over an hour above 1500. Free way speed and have yet to see the BMS screen in the cabinet and dc app home screen showing alternator charging.
Battery charge does not go up unless I shore charge it.
Am I missing something?
Firefly tech emailed me that it should be and renogy tech said that the battery should be charging.
Jayco tech support didn’t reply as of yet.
I hope the dealership tech did make parameter adjustments to get it fixed and just not saying it was just a program issue.
I’ll see for myself when I pick it up.
Old 09-10-2022, 08:10 AM   #84

Got it back from the dealer. Back to square 1.
Their answers.
1. Bathroom light cannot be controlled by the touchscreen and only can be done manually. Disabled light option in setting.
2. BMS and touchscreen is known to have comm issues.
Also disabled on setting.
Anyone else here has these options disabled?
3. They said that the alternator does charge and the BMS showed -1.8 amps. I told them that was the fridge drawing that and that not an indicator of an alternator charge. Alternator still wasn’t charging.
Then we opened it up together and found the regulator blinking green. Manual says it should be orange (comm w/BMS)
I ended up taking the van home and the dealer said that they will get in contact with Dehco and get back to me.
Any pointers or advise will help.
Does anyone know of any shops in the Socal area that might be able to help?
Old 09-13-2022, 09:44 AM   #85

Are you sure all your settings are correct including the Rover Boost? Please verify you have checked al the inverter and Rover Boost settings as I do not see anywhere that this has been done by you. Is there a particular reason you are not using the Mira app? Do you have a smartphone? The alternator will show charging on the Mira app, the alternator will charge over 100 amps at freeway speeds. If the app doesn't show it charging, you can show the dealer it is not charging on the app while driving. I also attached a picture of the LED Status/Advisory Codes for the APS-500 Alternator Regulator that I put in this post previously. Where are you looking at the Regulator? It can only be seen with the large panel removed that has several screws. If you are looking on the right hand side at the component mounted on plywood, through the small panel that has 2 fasteners holding it on where you access the solar disconnect and inverter, you are looking at the Rover Boost. Again, I suggest you read this entire post carefully.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2022-09-13 111102.jpg   APS-500 Alternator Regulator Codes.jpg  
markb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 01:01 PM   #86

Additional issues

Sorry for the delay in responses but I went camping and didn't have reliable internet and dropped out of loop. Anyway, after more experimentation in the field, literally, contrary to my previous observations I noticed that in full sunshine the line from the solar panels to inverter and battery would intermittently fill in (indicating that panels were actually doing something), but I would only get 1 amp. (Incidentally, it would do this whether inverter was turned on or off at switch, which makes me wonder what switch is for.) However, the voltage would quickly shoot up to 70-80V and it appeared that as soon as it hit 80 the panels would disengage and solar power was lost. Which means that I'm not even consistently getting 1 amp! I've contacted Dehco and taken vehicle back to dealer but I'm so confused right now i'm not much help in problem solving. Meanwhile, while camping we sprang two leaks; one directly over our bed, which soaked our bedding and another in electric window behind driver's seat. The first turned on one of the lights in the bump, and above inverter and battery. It would not go off without disconnecting battery switch. I will spare everyone the details and drama of calling RV complete at 2 in the morning (don't bother) and losing a week, and counting, of camping with friends but I'm wondering if water has caused electrical problems. We took vehicle back to dealer with about a dozen issues; including non functioning fridge, webbing pulling out screws, multiple leaks, wheel shimmy (which they say they don't address), squeaky bed lift, etc. So it's sitting in the shop while our friends in new Pleasure Way Rekon go camping.
Jerry6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 08:23 PM   #87

No luck. These guys are just as confused as I am.
I am now working with Dehco to help me getting it fixed.
Old 09-23-2022, 02:48 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by tight lines View Post
So I finally got it figured out with the help of Derek. The controller for the alternator was not getting an engine run signal. Seems there was an issue with wiring harnesses having to be extended - and somehow the signal wire got broken etc, etc. so I ran a separate wire from a "house dedicated fuse" under the drivers seat and I now have 14 volts on the control wire, and that fixed everything. Jayco and the dealer were less than helpful. At some point Ill have to have Jayco run a new wire, but for now my unit works and I can go on my montana trip and bondock as planned.
Hi,
I have similar issues. Everything charges except the alternator.
What wire was actually missing and where was the termination point?
I want to check to see if it’s the same problem.
Thanks
Old 09-26-2022, 11:21 AM   #89

Swift Li over here with very similar issues, I have to say this thread has been helpful but the alternator charging in my system certainly does have a fault. My alt reg system flashes a code 43, which was not on any paperwork but when I called I was told it is a "no/low voltage sensed at alt + location (check for blown fuse)" you guys know where this fuse might be? alternator charging is what sold me on the unit so hopefully, an easy fix and just need to find the right fuse. I hope I can do a full and proper walk-through video at some point for some future owners.
D-Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 02:13 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmsway View Post
Surprise surprise. Sunday, I saw the solar actually charging my battery. First time since I got it in April. Only 1 amp but it was charging. Funny thing it was partially covered by shade.
I’ve had it sitting in the middle of a parking lot with no shade and…nothing.
Not complaining but now I’m confused. Why won’t it charge out in the open but charge when under a tree? ��
How can you tell when solar is charging ?
Dr Idol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 02:20 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Ivz View Post
Dr Idol,
Did the dealer disable the entire rover boost charger control unit or did he set the boost charge parameter from default 2 hrs to zero?
Also, does the inverter/charger need to be on for the solar panels to charge the batteries?
According to the pictorial diagram, it shows the panels going into the inverter/charger first.
I’m having a lot of issues with mine and need to learn all I can.
I think he just changed the default to zero. Apologies for the late reply as just now reading this one.
Dr Idol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 10:39 PM   #92

Quote:
House battery is not charging from dedicated alternator. Reset battery, checked perimeters, confirmed 8.2-8.6v at alternator connection when isolated from battery.
Everything was hooked up wrong on mine. They actually hooked the solar panels to the charge controller that is for the external solar outlet on the side of the van. I’m sure this happened to a lot of us. Once the wiring for this was fixed the alternator started charging. Also the wires on the small panel for the chassis battery were wired backwards
Motoscootin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 10:44 PM   #93

It’s probably wrong. Same thing happened to me. They wired the solar panels into the charge controller that is for the external outlet on the side of the van for extra panels. They are supposed to be wired into the inverter. For some reason when they fixed this wiring issue my alternator started charging the battery. You will definitely know.
Old 11-03-2022, 10:55 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmsway View Post
From what I’m gathering from the experts, solar charging is a smoke show. Not enough power to do anything of value. Additional solar blankets will be required to actually charge the battery.
Derek has sent me additional steps to try. Possibly the BMS not setup properly.
Not home till Saturday so it has to wait.
I keep mentioning this but mine was wired wrong. The solar does charge it well and so does the alternator.
I think they wired most of these wrong. I finally got a good tech who figured out that they wired the solar panels to the charge controller that is only for the external charging port. The main panels need to be wired to the inverter. Also had the wires backwards for the small panel that trickle charges the chassis battery.

https://f01.justanswer.com/qr9QXlWY/...s_overview.pdf
Old 02-02-2023, 07:28 AM   #95

I know this is old, but did you ever get the issue solved where your inverter shuts completely off when you hit the off switch? Mine does the same thing.. Basically the charger doesn't function/the screen on the inverter is off when I turn off the inverter.
njhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 03:39 PM   #96

This is buy design from what I can tell. The solar is still charging but yes, the inverter screen is off. You can get more data by using the Renogy app.
ajais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 06:47 AM   #97

Figured out Problem

My electrical system had a ton of problems I discovered after taking my RV home and messing with it for a couple days. The majority was sorted out by simply screwing in the connectors on the SISO solar switch mounted on the roof. The solar power was stopping at that switch because the wires were not connected. it was causing all sorts of functionality issues with the whole electrical system. I’m happy that the problem is (mostly) solved, but it’s incredibly frustrating and concerning that Jayco clearly doesn’t even check their units for basic functionality before sending them off. Instead it is on the consumer to take their own time to figure it out or take it to a dealer, fight them while they try to convince you everything is working as it should and wait 4 months for a warranty claim. All could be avoided by the most basic QC. I’ll 100% go with a different brand when I trade this in in a few years, although I’m sure this is pretty common in the Covid money grab era.
njhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 07:57 AM   #98

electrical nightmare

This may or may not help anyone but I have discovered that if I turn off the solar panels and turn off the inverter before connecting to shore power, then turn the inverter back on after connecting, the battery will begin charging correctly most of the time. The solar panels mess things up for whatever reason. I still sometimes have to reboot the battery anyway but most of the time it works. We've been camping with electrical hookups for several weeks and this seems to work. Meanwhile, our solar panels for the chassis battery apparently don't work either because it is constantly running down after about 3 days . . . in Florida. It's just one thing after another with this thing. Jayco support and dealer have been useless. Dealer kept vehicle for 6 weeks and we don't know if they even fixed recall issues. They did a hack job on window leaks (creating a silicon mess instead of proper repair and it still leaked) and air compressor still doesn't work. Fridge will not freeze anything so I have to replace it eventually I suppose. Jayco won't respond to my emails. Worst company I've ever dealt with in 62 years.
Jerry6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 01:13 PM   #99

Hello,

I am few here, and have searched the threads but not seeing my batter issue exactly. I can only get power when hooked up to shore and the battery reset switch with light up the screen but only while I hold the reset switch, it will not stay engaged.

And the inverter says fault 03 openbat, no battery detected, but the battery in the Renogy app is at 40%.

I have friend everything and there are no wires loose that I have found.

Any ideas?
Wsteelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 03:50 PM   #100

Quote:
So I finally got it figured out with the help of Derek. The controller for the alternator was not getting an engine run signal. Seems there was an issue with wiring harnesses having to be extended - and somehow the signal wire got broken etc, etc. so I ran a separate wire from a "house dedicated fuse" under the drivers seat and I now have 14 volts on the control wire, and that fixed everything. Jayco and the dealer were less than helpful. At some point Ill have to have Jayco run a new wire, but for now my unit works and I can go on my montana trip and bondock as planned.
Any idea which color that wire was, on the APS500? Was it the Brown one (“ignition”)?

Aps500 user guide link below. Page 5 includes wire harness detail.

https://oceanplanetenergy.com/wp-con...User-Guide.pdf
Jmidd is offline   Reply With Quote