Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-07-2022, 07:44 AM   #1

Angry Terrain battery Issues

House battery is not charging from dedicated alternator. Reset battery, checked perimeters, confirmed 8.2-8.6v at alternator connection when isolated from battery.
tight lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 03:44 PM   #2

Also located in Lititz. Maybe compare notes
Harmsway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 03:46 PM   #3

I have a Swift 20T LI.
I had the same problem last weekend. Battery depleted. I had to reset and connect to shore power. I was able to charge enough to attempt another alternator recharge.
Talked to Chris at Renogy who was a great help with a lot of the basics. Dealer knows nothing.
Old 05-20-2022, 06:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmsway View Post
I have a Swift 20T LI.
I had the same problem last weekend. Battery depleted. I had to reset and connect to shore power. I was able to charge enough to attempt another alternator recharge.
Talked to Chris at Renogy who was a great help with a lot of the basics. Dealer knows nothing.
I have tried all the reset protocol. Working with American Power Supply who makes the alternator and controller. Jayco wants me to take it back to the dealer. Not going to happen. Horrible.
Old 05-20-2022, 06:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tight lines View Post
House battery is not charging from dedicated alternator. Reset battery, checked perimeters, confirmed 8.2-8.6v at alternator connection when isolated from battery.
Shouldn't you be getting 48 v at the alternator?
Old 05-21-2022, 06:59 AM   #6

It will read slightly over to get a full charge of low 50’s - or I could be getting the battery voltage via feedback as it is connected directly to the battery bank.
Old 05-24-2022, 05:01 PM   #7

I’m assuming that you are working with the same dealer that I am. Challenging
Old 05-24-2022, 05:11 PM   #8

MT Joy. Will never go back. Service department was rude, and has not responded for 2 weeks after I provided them the requested pictures etc to review my issue.
Old 05-24-2022, 08:54 PM   #9

Quote:
MT Joy. Will never go back. Service department was rude, and has not responded for 2 weeks after I provided them the requested pictures etc to review my issue.
Mt Joy or Mountville? Either way, I agree. Same issue here. Sounds like maybe same woman.

Been dealing direct with Renogy. Chris and Derek. Jayco customer service has been sooo nice but nice doesn’t fix my rv.
Old 05-24-2022, 08:58 PM   #10

From what I’m gathering from the experts, solar charging is a smoke show. Not enough power to do anything of value. Additional solar blankets will be required to actually charge the battery.
Derek has sent me additional steps to try. Possibly the BMS not setup properly.
Not home till Saturday so it has to wait.
Old 05-25-2022, 05:21 AM   #11

I would agree. 200 watts is at best 3 amps. I am waiting on Derek - same guy we both got too kind of crazy - to respond to my issues. Hopefully the system is simply not calling the Alternator to charge I.e program issue.
Old 05-27-2022, 06:37 AM   #12

Could you share the steps you are trying? Thanks.
markb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 04:44 PM   #13

I haven’t been able to apply the steps. I’ve been working and hope to attempt tomorrow.
I did reach out to the Renogy tech and if he approves, I will forward the information.
Plus what was sent to me applies to a Swift LI, not the Terrain. I would hate to see you apply this solution and damage your Terrain. It would just give them a reason to void your already *****y warranty.
BTW BEWARE!!
Do not use the word “ATTORNEY” in any fashion. You will never talk to another Jayco or Pete’s representative AGAIN. You will only get their legal department. I was warned by a reliable source.
Plus, they look for every reason to void your warranty. Excessive mileage and if they think that you are using it as your primary residence. They tried to lure me in with that one.
I am going to keep my fingers crossed and hope that I can get my discrepancies corrected and maybe find a better service department to deal with.
Best of luck to you.
I’m still excited and looking forward to some great adventures
Old 05-30-2022, 08:15 PM   #14

Did you ever walk through all the parameters on the inverter?
Mine is constantly beeping and would like to compare settings before I call Jayco.
Dealer brushed it off and said the inverter switch by the seats needs to be turned on to stop beeping. I am pretty sure that only needs to be turned on when connected to shore power or using high voltage outlets.

Inverter beeps a few times and then restarts. Voltage shows 53.4 on it and Renogy in cabinet SOC shows 100%. When I flip the solar inverter switch OFF, stops beeping and inverter turns off.

Definitely appreciate any help; something is definitely wrong.
Thanks,
Dway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 08:26 PM   #15
Cbn

Going through the pre-delivery inspection process on a Terrain right now. Some how the inverter / charger was set to charge lead acid batteries not Lithium. Therefore battery SOC was 10%, therefore no usable battery capacity, on pickup and nothing worked or charged. This took us about 4 hours to diagnose.

With regards to your question, open the rear battery compartment and you’ll see the display screen for the inverter. It will give you an error code which you can look up in the Owners manual.
Cbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 08:53 PM   #16
Cbn

Thank Today I found that alternator does not charge at idle only high idle. Have you tried 1500 rpms on the engine and testing voltage? We were getting about 51v.

If you go into the Settings panel on the firefly and then the Renogy section there will be detailed diagnostic info.

Quote:
Old 05-30-2022, 08:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbn View Post
Going through the pre-delivery inspection process on a Terrain right now. Some how the inverter / charger was set to charge lead acid batteries not Lithium. Therefore battery SOC was 10%, therefore no usable battery capacity, on pickup and nothing worked or charged. This took us about 4 hours to diagnose.

With regards to your question, open the rear battery compartment and you’ll see the display screen for the inverter. It will give you an error code which you can look up in the Owners manual.
Unfortunately no error codes on the screen. I am thinking maybe it's a low or high voltage error causing it to reboot? And yeah ours came set to Sealed Lead Acid. So far I've tried: User and Lithium 15 as a guess based on VDC. What is yours set at?

Thanks!
Dway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 09:19 PM   #18
Cbn

When mine was beeping we initially had no battery found error code and then low voltage.

We set mine to Lithium 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlewand33 View Post
Unfortunately no error codes on the screen. I am thinking maybe it's a low or high voltage error causing it to reboot? And yeah ours came set to Sealed Lead Acid. So far I've tried: User and Lithium 15 as a guess based on VDC. What is yours set at?

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2022, 09:23 PM   #19
Cbn

When mine was beeping we initially had no battery found error code and then low voltage. I’m assuming the beeping occurs when any error is thrown.

It looks like the Renogy BT app can connect to inverter; however, I haven’t had a chance to investigate it further. There maybe more detail or at least easier to consume info via the app.

We also selected Lithium 15 based on voltage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlewand33 View Post

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2022, 09:26 PM   #20
Cbn

I also wanted to add that after the battery was drained we had to recharge the battery with a charging cart before it would take charge again.