Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2022, 06:41 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roady77 View Post
last time in they reset Battery Charging Mode to Solar priority, had been shore priority. The battery did charge to 100% SOC, but if the A/C is run, which draws 22-25 amps, after about 20 min and 8-10% reduction to SOC, the alarm sequence starts again (all 3 LED solid, then screen blacks out, then audible alarm, screen reboots and volts climb from 0 to 51v, then blacks out and all three LED come back on solid. Going back in tomorrow for a third time.
Dealer and JAYCO rep put me in touch with Derek at DEHCO. The photocopied manual given at delivery says to call DEHCO at 800.621.2278 for technical assistance. Derek was great; give me a brief tutorial and walked me through the correct parameter settings over the phone. Key point; voltage matters more than SOC%, and SOC% can be inaccurate (like the low fuel warning light on your car).
If voltage drops below 48v, it can drop quickly and alarms will start and protective circuits will shut down, and will not reset until the battery gets back to full charge (mine is now set to 54.0v). Here are the parameters he gave me for the Terrain, similar but not exact to p. 23 of the Renogy Solar Inverter Charger manual.

Parameter/setting
01/Utl
02/60
03/UPS
04/44.0
06/SnU
07/80
08/L16 (some debate earlier in this thread , but L16 confirmed by Derek and JAYCO
09/54.4 (we tried 54.8 but that caused an over voltage alert, which cleared itself when I turned on a few devices to draw down the battery)
12/48.0
13/30
14/48.8
15/45.6
22/DIS
33/ENA
24/ENA
25/ENA
26/DIS
27/ENA
28/30a or change to fit your source
29/DIS
35/50.8
36/80
37/53.0
Roady77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 06:14 AM   #42

I had the same problem this past weekend after the battery was drained to 0% SOC. Had to perform a battery recovery. The inverter kept beeping and showed a fault. The manual recommended a reset. I turned everything off, disconnected from shore power and waited 5 minutes. Started from scratch. Performed a battery recovery. This time, no beeping and the battery recharged off shore power. 8 hours to 100% SOC.
Harmsway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 10:43 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roady77 View Post
Dealer and JAYCO rep put me in touch with Derek at DEHCO. The photocopied manual given at delivery says to call DEHCO at 800.621.2278 for technical assistance. Derek was great; give me a brief tutorial and walked me through the correct parameter settings over the phone. Key point; voltage matters more than SOC%, and SOC% can be inaccurate (like the low fuel warning light on your car).
If voltage drops below 48v, it can drop quickly and alarms will start and protective circuits will shut down, and will not reset until the battery gets back to full charge (mine is now set to 54.0v). Here are the parameters he gave me for the Terrain, similar but not exact to p. 23 of the Renogy Solar Inverter Charger manual.

Parameter/setting
01/Utl
02/60
03/UPS
04/44.0
06/SnU
07/80
08/L16 (some debate earlier in this thread , but L16 confirmed by Derek and JAYCO
09/54.4 (we tried 54.8 but that caused an over voltage alert, which cleared itself when I turned on a few devices to draw down the battery)
12/48.0
13/30
14/48.8
15/45.6
22/DIS
33/ENA
24/ENA
25/ENA
26/DIS
27/ENA
28/30a or change to fit your source
29/DIS
35/50.8
36/80
37/53.0

Thanks so much! I got slightly different response from Jayco but I trust your settings more.
From Jayco:
5 58.4
9 54
12 48
14 48.8
15 45.6
25 dis
26 dis
29 dis
35 50.8
37 52.8 ( there is no 53.0 )

Has anyone gotten an ETA or info on the Firefly fix so the Renogy system stops faulting? I contacted Jayco beginning of June and they didn't have any info or updates.
Dway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 02:23 PM   #44

SOC on Firefly vs Cabinet Monitor

Hello the SOC on the firefly is 0% yet the cabinet display is 95%? How can that be?

Also plugged into shore power the best cabinet reading of 95% why can it not get to 100%? I believe I need 100% due to needing a reset after a low battery of 0%.

-Dave
dave207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:37 PM   #45

When I picked my Terrain up the service tech told me to ignore the firefly SOC and pay attention to the one in the cabinet. The firefly SOC read 0% for some time and somehow started working and matching the cabinet display, do not know what I did other than change some of the parameters on the inverter/charger and the rover boost. I suggest you step through all of your parameters per the manual, I found some of mine were off and the rover boost was set to the wrong battery type. Info in this thread on both.
markb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 05:56 AM   #46

Thank you markb. I did get it working last night I followed the reset instruction and it seem to work. Now I am trying to determine if the chassis battery is actually charging the coach batteries. I think I need to take a 30 minute drive and see if the charge comes up.
dave207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 09:54 AM   #47

This is correct.
Battery Reset than a complete shore power charge to 100%.
If it won’t charge, complete shutdown and disconnect. Wait 5 minutes then another battery restore and it should shore power charge to 100%. Make sure you get to 100%
Old 07-13-2022, 03:16 PM   #48

So I finally got it figured out with the help of Derek. The controller for the alternator was not getting an engine run signal. Seems there was an issue with wiring harnesses having to be extended - and somehow the signal wire got broken etc, etc. so I ran a separate wire from a "house dedicated fuse" under the drivers seat and I now have 14 volts on the control wire, and that fixed everything. Jayco and the dealer were less than helpful. At some point Ill have to have Jayco run a new wire, but for now my unit works and I can go on my montana trip and bondock as planned.
tight lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 03:18 PM   #49

Sorry, wrong post, ment for Harmsway.
Old 07-14-2022, 09:56 AM   #50

What kind of charge are you getting from your solar panels? Are you seeing any replenishment? I see no benefit from the solar.
Old 07-14-2022, 10:00 AM   #51

My rig sits in a parking lot with a lot of exposure. I was hoping that it would be topped off by the time I return from a trip. The only thing running is the refrigerator. I would hope that the PV would meet and exceed the load. I guess not.
Old 07-14-2022, 10:03 AM   #52

I am only seeing 2-3 amps from solar. I actually removed the factory solar to install a roof top tent, and a high idle controller which will be far more efficient to recharge the batteries. I get 60+ amps of charge at 1200 or so RMPs
Old 07-14-2022, 10:46 AM   #53

Solar in my experience gives you about 10% charge per day. Basically if it’s off, SOC drops about 15% vs leaving it on and only seeing a drop of about 5% over a 24 hour period. I only leave the refrigerator on at about setting 4. I also noticed you will get a small boost if you clean your panels regularly, especially if you spend a lot of time at the beach.
WhiskeyWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 08:29 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by tight lines View Post
I am only seeing 2-3 amps from solar. I actually removed the factory solar to install a roof top tent, and a high idle controller which will be far more efficient to recharge the batteries. I get 60+ amps of charge at 1200 or so RMPs
Did our competent dealer perform this modification? Is your rig still under warranty?
Old 07-15-2022, 08:31 AM   #55

Good to know. I’ll have to go topside and hose it off. I only run the fridge and I’m losing 15 % per day. I’ll adjust the fridge setting and see if that works.
Old 07-21-2022, 11:59 AM   #56

I’m only seeing .7 to .9 A, and that’s only in high sun 11AM - 3PM with no or little clouds or haze. That won’t even keep up with the fridge. Has anyone added the external solar blanket? The Renogy /DEHCO instructions said to call DEHCO; DEHCO referred me to Mint City services, who offers this foldable 300W for $619. Would like to hear any reviews before making that investment. Plus it only has a 4 ft cord; not much help in finding a patch of sun at a wooded site. https://www.wix.app/stores/045b006c-...le-solar-panel
Roady77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 02:35 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmsway View Post
Mt Joy or Mountville? Either way, I agree. Same issue here. Sounds like maybe same woman.

Been dealing direct with Renogy. Chris and Derek. Jayco customer service has been sooo nice but nice doesn’t fix my rv.
Been working with Chris and Derek also I think they are with Decho? Whatever. Derek had me change some fields which stopped the error code. However last trip still needed to reset once or twice a day when connected to 30 amp shore power. Jayco basically said it shouldn’t be doing that. Jeff at Jayco added that 99% of RVs use AC where we use DC. Basically shore power does NOT run the rig— only charges the battery which runs the rig. Therefore no battery and you’ve got nothing. We on the bleeding edge?
Dr Idol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 11:12 PM   #58

Alternator charging on idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tight lines View Post
So I finally got it figured out with the help of Derek. The controller for the alternator was not getting an engine run signal. Seems there was an issue with wiring harnesses having to be extended - and somehow the signal wire got broken etc, etc. so I ran a separate wire from a "house dedicated fuse" under the drivers seat and I now have 14 volts on the control wire, and that fixed everything. Jayco and the dealer were less than helpful. At some point Ill have to have Jayco run a new wire, but for now my unit works and I can go on my montana trip and bondock as planned.
@Tightlines, were you able to get your alternator to charge at regular idle with just a wire change? I'd prefer not to buy a high idle kit if I can get the alternator to charge like I thought it should with just a change of a wire. If you have anymore information on how to fix it I'd appreciate it since mine is not charging on low idle.
TerrainOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 04:42 PM   #59

What?? Shore power won’t run the rig?
Unacceptable.
In my case, I usually never have shore power available (parking lots with no AC) so not much impact on me but in the event I had shore power available…it would have been nice to use.
Would like the solar panels to actually have some value but they are just dead weight so far. No benefit whatsoever
Old 07-31-2022, 04:46 PM   #60

Who installed the high idle kit for you? Dodge dealer or RV dealer? I’m leaning that way. I spent an hour driving around trying to charge the batteries. Sounds stupid but I had no place to plug into.