Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-30-2022, 08:38 PM   #1
Cbn

Terrain - Shore Power Charging

I知 going through a PDI right now. The dealer delivered the vehicle with zero usable battery.

When connected to shore power with a battery at 10% state of charge I知 seeing about 35 to 40 amps of charging current @ about 51v or max of 2,040 watts (just enough to run the AC in desert environment). As the SOC increased to 25% we started seeing 40 to 45 amps or max or 2,295 watts. Dealer left it connected to shower power and after I left salesman stated amps are closer to 50.

My dealer is saying that as the state of charge increases so will the charging amps. This makes sense however I refused delivery until they can prove this to me tomorrow morning.

Is this charging behavior correct?
Cbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 11:50 PM   #2
Cbn

After further review the inverter/charger limits the maximum AC charging current to 40 amps. It can be set lower but 40 is the maximum.

Any additional amps above 40 must have been coming from PV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbn View Post
I知 going through a PDI right now. The dealer delivered the vehicle with zero usable battery.

When connected to shore power with a battery at 10% state of charge I知 seeing about 35 to 40 amps of charging current @ about 51v or max of 2,040 watts (just enough to run the AC in desert environment). As the SOC increased to 25% we started seeing 40 to 45 amps or max or 2,295 watts. Dealer left it connected to shower power and after I left salesman stated amps are closer to 50.

My dealer is saying that as the state of charge increases so will the charging amps. This makes sense however I refused delivery until they can prove this to me tomorrow morning.

Is this charging behavior correct?
Old 07-13-2022, 11:54 AM   #3

I have a question for anyone here. I don稚 have a 30amp hookup at home. I bought an adapter to hookup to a regular 110 outlet. Issue is it starts charging at around 6 or 7 amps then jumps to 50+/- amps then the inverter resets. And it repeats this cycle. I know very little about this system so I知 hoping someone has a solution. Thanks
Flyingdice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 11:56 AM   #4
Cbn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingdice View Post
I have a question for anyone here. I don稚 have a 30amp hookup at home. I bought an adapter to hookup to a regular 110 outlet. Issue is it starts charging at around 6 or 7 amps then jumps to 50+/- amps then the inverter resets. And it repeats this cycle. I know very little about this system so I知 hoping someone has a solution. Thanks
I知 doing this from memory so if I知 incorrect please correct me but I believe you need to change parameter 28 to 20 amps.
Old 07-13-2022, 12:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbn View Post
I知 doing this from memory so if I知 incorrect please correct me but I believe you need to change parameter 28 to 20 amps.
I値l check it out thanks for the direction 👍👍
Flyingdice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 02:21 PM   #6

Have you thought about the possibility that these batteries were dead for a while and may have been damaged by one or more times being run down completely?
Unless they are lithium which can stand that kind of treatment.

I would want a test of capacity before accepting your new RV.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 10:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingdice View Post
Could be that the two GFI circuits are fighting each other. I bought a UPS that isolates each gfi so they don't conflict. I also change the charging current in the display in the back driver side area. When driving I set to 40amps for the alternator. When plugged into my 30 amp I keep it at 40 and when I use a 110AC wall outlet I set it to 15amp

HTH
IthacaDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 10:38 AM   #8

And another question that has taken me almost a year of ownership to formulate:
Aren't most RV parks outlets 240v, not 125v AC?

I've never taken my Terrain to an RV park, just wondering...
Old 11-17-2022, 11:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IthacaDon View Post

As far as I know... Most RV parks around here have 30 amp only with 120v (appromently). Especially in the state parks. So as long as you have it plugged into the 30 amp connection, you shouldn't have any issues. Saying that... It isn't like what you have done at your house. You will want a quality surge protector that goes in between the post and your connection to the shore power to the van itself. Your home is less susceptible to major power surges as an RV park. I have mine plugged in just like you do through one of my 110 outlets in my garage though an adapter to keep the battery topped off and also allow me to put a digital ceramic heater in the rear cargo area since the temps have been dropping into the low 20's for the last week. So basically I'm just creating a "passthrough" to power extra 110 outlets outside of the house. The load from the digital ceramic heater isn't enough to draw an overload from the outlet inside the garage so it's essentially like having the ceramic heater running "inside" the garage.

This is the part that confuses me. I know you mentioned that you lower the incoming amps while hooked up to the 110 outlet.

#1: I don't know how to lower or raise the amps from inside the unit

#2: Am I hurting anything if I don't mess with the incoming amps from just the 110 outlet? So far it is working just fine and the battery stays topped off and also allows me to run the ceramic heater inside the van while it is in the low 20's at night while keeping the inside of the van at around 68 degrees with the ceramic heater running on the lowest setting.

RearViewMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 11:36 AM   #10

Today is the first actual sunny day we have had since we picked up the unit. So I have the shore power unplugged. I'm curious to see just how much (if any) the battery drops and if the solar panels will help keep the battery topped off while it is unplugged. The only thing running in the van right now is the inverter and the refrigerator. I've had it unplugged since this morning and so far the battery has only dropped to 99%. I'm curious if the solar will help either bring that back up or at the very least keep it from dropping throughout the day while we have full sun.
Old 11-17-2022, 01:35 PM   #11

You may not need to change that value on the Renogy controller in the back. I did it and it worked. But, I think the real culprit was the conflict between the two gfci circuits. The one on my wall plugs in the garage and the other gfci system built into the Renogy system.

I saw the pic of your ceramic heater but I am not sure where you have it plugged in?
Is the heater plugged into your outlet inside the Terrain? Or is it plugged into an outlet in the garage and the extension cord runs out the window?
Old 11-17-2022, 02:03 PM   #12

Quote:

RV parks can have 50 amp, 30 amp, and 20 amp connections. The parks here in So Calif typically have all 3 but some parks charge extra for 50 amp sites.

50 amp service can be considered 240 volts but it is not used in that way. It is fed into the rig and used as 2 independent 120 volt lines. You home service is actually the same. 240 will feed your house and they use 1 leg to feed certain areas at 120 volts and the other leg to feed other 120 volt outlets. If you have an electric 240 volt device, the special outlet will be fed from both sides of the power feed giving you the true 240 volts.

In summary, all RV connections are 120 volt as no rig uses 240. Yes there is 240 there if you measure between the 2 hot legs but you will be using the power from each leg to the common wire.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 02:55 PM   #13

If this was a New unit I would Demand New batteries, because you bought a totally new unit not a new one with Dead batteries.If it was used then this changes everything. ( Just my opinion)
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 03:26 PM   #14

Quote:
You may not need to change that value on the Renogy controller in the back. I did it and it worked. But, I think the real culprit was the conflict between the two gfci circuits. The one on my wall plugs in the garage and the other gfci system built into the Renogy system.

I saw the pic of your ceramic heater but I am not sure where you have it plugged in?
Is the heater plugged into your outlet inside the Terrain? Or is it plugged into an outlet in the garage and the extension cord runs out the window?
The ceramic heater is plugged into the 110 outlet that is under the bed in the rear cargo area. When plugged into shore power (from the house) it runs just fine. It is essentially expanding my 110 outlets outside of the garage. But... I wouldn't plug anything else into the van using a 110 outlet for fear of tripping either the GFI built into my garage or actually tripping a breaker on my house. The GFI in my garage is pretty sensitive so when I first bought the adapter I was worried if it would actually trip as soon as I plugged in the van even just keeping the battery charged. But it didn't and I can run the ceramic heater also and it keeps the van around 68-70 degrees when the temps hit the low 20's like they have all this last week.

At night, I also keep the supplied window covering on the front drivers, passenger, and windshield. I'm not at all impressed with the drivers and passenger side window coverings as the magnets are not nearly strong enough to even hold their own weight. And I'm not a fan of having to shut the door and basically sandwich the shade between the weatherstrip around the door. I'll buy new coverings soon as there are much better options out there than the ones that came with the van. That said... The one for the windshield is perfect. So if that is my only complaint I'll consider myself fortunate.
Old 11-18-2022, 03:30 PM   #15

UPS worked on first test

I plugged the UPS into the 110v wall socket in my garage and I set the Renogy charging value (028) to 10 because the UPS was rated to 12 amps.
When I plugged the cable from the RV into the UPS the gfci tripped. I then unplugged the UPS, reset the gfci and then plugged the UPS back in and it worked.

The display inside the Terrain said that 8amps were charging the battery.

Will test again at my sister's house and see how it works.
Old 11-18-2022, 04:18 PM   #16

Quote:
I plugged the UPS into the 110v wall socket in my garage and I set the Renogy charging value (028) to 10 because the UPS was rated to 12 amps.
When I plugged the cable from the RV into the UPS the gfci tripped. I then unplugged the UPS, reset the gfci and then plugged the UPS back in and it worked.

The display inside the Terrain said that 8amps were charging the battery.

Will test again at my sister's house and see how it works.
I was worried about this also. I spoke to the Renogy Tech and Jayco reps (finally did the walkthrough at the dealer today). I asked if it is okay to leave it set where it is. Since you can only access the controller from the rear compartment, it would be a pain to have to adjust each time you have to plug it into a 30 amp connection or go back to a 110 outlet. All it is doing is basically giving the battery half of what the 30 amp connection would be feeding it, he said it would be fine to not mess with it. Essentially all I'm doing is taking the 110 outlet from my garage and creating 110 outlets outside of the garage. Obviously I can't / won't hook up many things to any of the outlets inside the van in this fashion. But it will charge the battery and run the ceramic heater with no issues.

But I had the same concerns as you. My GFI in my garage is pretty sensitive and I figured it would pop as soon as I plugged the van in. But surprisingly it didn't. So it allows me to charge the van and also keep it warm during the cold nights we have been having here recently.
Old 02-08-2023, 02:08 PM   #17

State of charge

Hi Everyone,I知 new to the Rv thing so please excuse any ignorance.My question is.Is it possible that my terrains Renogy screen and the firefly screen do not match?My renogy screen says I am at 98% SOC and the Firefly says 0% charged.Lights and all seem to work fine.Com light is blinking on the renogy screen?
Thanks for any help
Smithmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 10:28 PM   #18

Just plug it in and let it charge overnight it will be fine
Jayryan70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 10:29 PM   #19

Reset after full charge. Firefly will reset
Jayryan70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 10:35 PM   #20

full battery reset or is there another kind?
Smithmoto is offline   Reply With Quote