Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-02-2015, 08:59 PM   #1

'08 29FBS we just bought, need a little advice

This is our 1st camper and we are total newbies, so some of these questions might seem very trivial but I need a little help. We believe we got a good one for the price, but the guy didn't fix little issues that I cant stand so I'm in the process of trying to get them fixed.

1st ...he cant find the remote to the dvd/radio, Ive looked high and low and cant seem to find one to match it. I'm hoping there are more remotes that work with this...Model # sts2891-1 I'm not ready to buy a new player if I dont have to.
2nd...the bathroom door opens to close off to living room(if that makes since) the shower is on one side of the hall and the bathroom is on the other side leading up to the master bedroom. Anyway there was something mounted to the door and wall to keep the door from just being opened. Can someone tell me what the heck this is? I can get pics if it would help.
3rd...the fresh water tank has a drain and the handle has been broke off. I want to replace that. What is it?
4th... the holding tanks valves have a "t" handle and both the gray tanks are broke. Are the ends of these rods threaded? If so I will make my own or do you have to replace the whole rod? These things are plastic and they look like junk.
5th... the A/C vent cover inside, one of the screws is stripped out, it seems these are just in the paneling with nothing above it so I thought about trying a drywall anchor, but before I do that I wanted anyone thoughts of how to fix it.
DW wants to replace the cutting board/sink covers, since the one that is there is cut up pretty good. Where do I find these? Is there a model somewhere on the sink?
I will be taking the wheels off and repacking the axles as well as checking the brakes once it gets warmer, and I have to replace the tape along the top of the slide out, no leaks but I'm not taking a chance. Is there anything else I need to do before we head out in April?

I'm sure as I get more time to look I will find other little things but this at least gives me somewhere to start.
Troy W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:52 AM   #2

Since you've received no replies, I thought I'd take a stab at it and maybe get some action going on your post.

Most travel trailers use stock parts.
Things like the valve on your FW drain you can find at almost any RV store, or on Amazon.
If the T handle on your BW/GW tanks is missing, yes most are just a threaded rod and again you can get replacement parts at an RV store or amazon. If the entire gate valve is broken, you can get replacements at the same places.
Did the original owner give you the paperwork for the TT? If so, it will have the model number of your DVD player. If you have that, then Google is your friend.
Making a new cutting board for you sink is pretty easy to do. Go to Home Depot, Lowes or wherever and buy a piece of cutting board larger than your sink and cut it to size.
Yes, a drywall anchor, toggle bolt or something similar will work to reisnstall a stripped screw. Not a lot of weight needs to be held on the AC cover.
I have no idea what your bathroom door thingy is or what you are talking about there.

Based on the lack of maintenance of your TT by previous owner, you will definitely want to sterilize your fresh water system, both the pipes leading to your faucets as well as your FW tank. You can find how to do that on several posts on this forum.

You seems to have lots of questions that are very basic. I suggest that you purchase a good RV book that talks about RV ownership, maintenance and use.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:36 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum....Congrats on the tt
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:18 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:26 PM   #5

Hi Troy. Congrats on the new to you trailer.

You said something to the effect "looks like plastic junk." I had to laugh. Because you're right. Most of thsee things are pretty chintzy when you get down to it. The black and. Grey tank valves are sold brand new for around $15, and take about 20 minutes to install. Little piece of mind. The valve handle on the FW tank drain is a more of a pain only because you'll have to replace the valve by loosening the hose clamps, and twisting the old one out.

My long story short: if you were independently wealthy you wouldnt be asking these questions. That means you'll need to be handy, or be willing to figure it out. You'll be OK. It's just a trailer, don't lose sleep over it. I've been banging on used trailers since 2003, and finally got a brand new one last fall. I'm still sure I'll be fixing that one too.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:41 AM   #6
Site Team

Welcome, One of the great things about doing your own maintenance other than saving money is you can become an expert in another area. I would advise you to do some reading on the internet about any subject you are interested in learning rv wise. http://rv101.tv/category/helpful-rv-tips/ here is one that has very basic and informative videos.

Ask questions like you already have and you may even find someone with the same rig that can give you tips as well as others here as they are all basically the same stuff and we like to discuss all things camping as well as anything else.

I had some doors that would not stay open and I installed a magnetic cabinet catch that holds it open. Don't know if you want a privacy latch or not. Maybe a picture would get some suggestions, especially if it looks like something was there and is now missing.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:57 AM   #7

Welcome to The Forum, and congratulations on the Nu-2-U trailer. There should be a tag on the "street side" of the trailer that gives you the VIN of the trailer. I'd suggest going to the Jayco website (www.jayco.com) with the VIN and they should be able to give you the remote mfr. name & model #. You should be able to go on line and get a replacement from the manufacturer (if they're still in business/available). Do the same for the sink covers/cutting boards. Another option for those is just sand them down with a random orbital sander and some medium/fine/x-tra fine sandpaper. They're probably acrylic and can be sanded pretty easily.

I think others have given you some pretty sound advice on your other questions. Take your time getting these repairs done. Enjoy the learning experience, and the time you spend with your family in your trailer! Happy Camping!
Old 02-05-2015, 08:13 AM   #8

Thanks for the response everyone. I'm slowly finding places to order parts and when they come in I'll replace them. T handles for the dump tanks I might make myself and I found a place to get the FW valve. I've not been able to get out and get a pic of the piece missing on the bathroom door but did find a pic I took last week and I cropped it and hopefully there's enough that someone can tell me what it is. Whatever it was slides in the hole on the wall next to the shower. I'm thinking it must have been some kind of short rod with a rubber end maybe?
Norty, thanks for the link I've been checking those out, very helpful. And I thought about the magnet on the door, which might work for all we need it to do.
As for the remote..I've gotten all the info on it I can find and found a place but they don't have them anymore. Another member here JPBeck might have one that they aren't using so that might solve that problem. Thanks again for all the great info.
Attached Thumbnails
Pic.jpg  
Old 02-05-2015, 08:57 AM   #9
Site Team

When open, does the door hole match up with that bracket? Do you want it to be latched for privacy or just prevented from closing?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
When open, does the door hole match up with that bracket? Do you want it to be latched for privacy or just prevented from closing?
yes it does and there are 2 screw holes on the door that have been stripped out. I can fix that problem. We would like for it to catch but its not a huge deal since it will just be us and the grandbabies most the time anyway. A cabinet door magnet might be the easiest way but I sure would like to see what the heck it was to begin with..lol If I can see it I can probably make it
Old 02-05-2015, 10:10 AM   #11

HI and welcome to the group
stripped out screw.. toothpicks and a little wood glue. Put a bit of wood glue on the toothpicks push them in the hole and break them off flush.. let the glue dry and then put the screw in like normal..
Radio remote.. try a place like Radio Shack for a generic remote..
Broken dump T handles... save your energy.. just put on a pair of gloves and pull on the rod.. those T handles break way too easy
Cutting boards the sinks are pretty much standard sizes so any RV dealer will have some.. but I went to a big box store and bought a large cutting board that fit over both sinks. This has worked well for me for years now... You can also sand the top of the cutting board if you wish and that will give it a like new look..

Since you say your new to RVing let me offer this one thing that many have oppsed on.. "even when your at an RV park with full hookups never ever leave your black tank open.." it will allow the water to drain away but the solids will remain eventually plugging your tank.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:17 PM   #12

A friend of mine said one time, if you buy a used trailer, you will have to work on it,
and if you buy a new trailer, you will have to work on it.
Just dig in and have fun, ask all the questions you have. And Welcome.
Jimw606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:07 PM   #13

Seann thanks for the advice I will for sure make sure to remember that!

Jimw, I know the feeling already, between the old international tractor I "play" with and the newer JD I am ALAWAYS working on something. lol But again all this camping stuff is new to me so expect some questions from time to time.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:25 PM   #14

New question. I put new handles on one of my gray tanks and the black tank and decided to test them out. The black water tank valve is really hard to pull, so much so you have to get on the ground and put your foot against the frame to pull it, but no effort is need to push it back. From what I've read and some have said its easy to change, but it seems mine might be set up for cold weather and has a thick plastic sheet running the full length of the trailer with no seems. So it looks like I will have to removed it or cut it, neither look like an easy job. Also the handle runs through spray foam insulation(which might be the reason its so hard to pull?) I cant even see the valve to try to spray it with silicone lube. Any suggestions?
Old 09-01-2020, 05:55 PM   #15

Try a cup of vegetable oil down the sink drain. It may help a bit.
Ramman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramman View Post
Try a cup of vegetable oil down the sink drain. It may help a bit.
This thread is over 5 years old!

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
This thread is over 5 years old!
And that was his last post!
Sold the trailer?