Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2016, 07:07 PM   #1

Question 12 volt question...

We purchased a used 2002 Jayco travel trailer after over 2 years of not having a camper...we sure missed this lifestyle.

Naturally when buying something used we buy the old owners problems. So far we had to have the seal around the slide replaced, replaced one of the springs in the awning, had all the roof seams resealed, etc...

The problem the perplexes me the most is the 12 volt system. I upgraded the battery to a new deep cycle unit. When the rig is plugged in to the 120 volt system all the 12 volt related stuff works great. When I unplug the coach all the 12 volt dependent stuff dies. No slide, no lights, no fridge or anything else. I checked and all the 12 volt fuses are okay. I have tried just about everything to figure out what the problem is with no luck. Does anyone have any ideas please???
JackMroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:24 PM   #2

Check for a fuse directly between the battery feed and the trailer.
Mine is visible behind the battery box just before the wire harness enters the underbelly.

Modifications list at https://www.stormpod.org
StormPOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:36 PM   #3
Site Team

I am taking it for granted that your battery connections are WHITE (Negative) and BLACK (Positive).

- Make sure that the NEGATIVE battery terminal's cable goes down to the frame. Also, make sure that the cable connect to the frame is clean and tight.

- Does your TT have a 30 Amp main fuse by the battery? IF so is the fuse holder clean or corroded? While checking the fuse holder out, and your shore power connected, with your volt meter, and the fuse out, check to see if you have 12VDC on each of the connectors in the fuse holder. You should have voltages on each connector, the connector going toward the TT will have 12VDC from your TT's battery charge controller. On the fuse holder connector toward the battery should have 12VDC from the battery.

- When you say you checked the fuses, did you use a volt/ohm meter to check them? You would be surprised at how many members said that it looked good, but when they checked them with a meter they were bad.

- If you do not have 12VDC on the TT side of the fuse holder your problem is between there and the TT's charge controller.

- Let us know the mfr and model of your TT's battery charge controller as it may have a reverse polarity fuse that has blown.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:58 PM   #4

Along with the great advice already given; while you are checking fuses, pull the panel and check for fuses in the charge controller/converter itself. Don't ask me how, but when these blow, it is possible for everything to work while plugged in and nothing to work when unplugged and on battery only.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:18 PM   #5

Good advise above. Check to make sure the battery is hooked up correctly. Even if it was hooked up backwards even for a moment, you will blow the reverse polarity fuse. That fuse is in the main 12V fuse panel. Also check, for an inline fuse, near the battery.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:49 AM   #6

I know I hooked the new battery correctly when I installed it but I don't know if the people who we purchased the TT from did as they told us they installed their battery just before we arrived when we came to look it over.

I did check the main 30amp fuse numerous times and its still in good shape. I was unaware of any other fuses however. One thing I noticed was that when the coach is plugged in the 45amp converter makes all kinds of noise. I'm thinking of replacing it just to quite it down. I replaced, with new, all the 15amp fuses in the control board so I know they are good.

I'll do the tests that Don mentioned in his posts. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:54 AM   #7

What I do to be absolutely sure is to look for the word NEG or the Symbol '-' stamped on the 12V battery case and hand trace the NEGATIVE TERMINAL cable and make sure this is the one going to ground... Cables get reversed very easy with the RV world using the same battery terminal size for both polarities. I have purchased the same model replacement battery and found the manufacturer has moved the terminals locations which makes the cable wrong polarity to fit... Anyone not being observant will hook these up backwards everytime...

You see either WHITE and BLACK cables being used as well as RED AND BLACK cables.

In the RV WORLD WHITE is always GROUND and BLACK is HOT +12VDC

In the AUTOMOTIVE WORLD BLACK is always GROUND and RED is HOT +12VDC

If these wirings get REVERSED than FUSES get blown between the battery terminals and the 12VDC Power Distribution Panel. Most of the time the REVERSE POLARITY fuses are on the 12VDC Power Distribution Panel but in some cases these may be located on the Converter/charger unit itself...

Even if you accidentally spark the cables when hooking up may blow these fuses...

Another walk around test I do alot is measure across my battery terminals with a multimeter and I will read 12.6-7VDC if the batteries are full charged and no Shore Power is turned 'ON'. Then I will turn 'ON' Shore Power and this DC VOLTAGE across the Battery Terminals will jump up to 13.6VDC or higher depending what mode the Converter/Charger starts up when first turned 'ON'. This tells me all is working normal and all fuses etc are OK...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:17 PM   #8

Great info...thank you. I've been building cars and other modes of transportation for over 50 years but its always nice to be reminded of this kind of thing. I will recheck my polarity just to be sure. Thanks again!
Old 07-15-2016, 01:52 PM   #9

Well I went and checked my battery and its hooked up as it should be. I ordered a new 45 amp converter today as the one in my coach screams when its plugged in. I suppose its just worn out and wants to retire. I have not had time to do all the great suggestions to my 12 volt problem but I'm hoping to get some time on Saturday. I'll keep you all posted....
Old 07-15-2016, 02:40 PM   #10

All good advice above. Grounds and fuses are usually to blame. Did you put a volt meter on the panel to confirm you have 12 v there? If you pull the 4 screws holding the control panel in you can get to the main connections from the battery.

From there back it's pretty simple and limited in what it could be from there.

Good luck and hope you find your issue.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMroz View Post
Well I went and checked my battery and its hooked up as it should be. I ordered a new 45 amp converter today as the one in my coach screams when its plugged in. I suppose its just worn out and wants to retire. I have not had time to do all the great suggestions to my 12 volt problem but I'm hoping to get some time on Saturday. I'll keep you all posted....
It is probably a good idea to replace it if it is loud. Mine is pretty much silent, except for a fan the runs sometimes. But even then, it is not very loud.
Once you have the new one installed. Leave the trailer unplugged for a minute and measure the voltage on the DC wires attached to the convertor. Fully charged you should see 12.7V or so. If you read significantly less that this, then either your batteries are not charged or you have a bad connection to the batteries. Take another measurement directly on the battery terminals, they should be very close to the same reading as you got on the converter.
Now, plug in the trailer to AC. You should see the voltage rise to something > 13V, depending on the charge state of the battery. After it charges overnight you should read >=13.2V on both the battery and the connections to the converter.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:11 PM   #12

I received my new converter in yesterdays mail but have had no time to install it or check what Don had suggested. I will do a complete check when I install it...hopefully before the weekend...

Again, Thanks for all the suggestions and tips...
Old 07-20-2016, 06:20 PM   #13

Well I installed the new converter this evening. Still not getting 12V when I unplug the shore power so I'm assuming I have a broken wire between the battery and the 12V fuse center. At this point with us leaving on a camping vacation soon I'm just going to live with this problem until we get back. I realize the fridge won't be working while we're traveling but with us only traveling around 3 hours from home I'm sure everything will stay cold and frozen. I'm gonna then take the coach to my local dealer and let him find and fix the problem.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMroz View Post
Well I installed the new converter this evening. Still not getting 12V when I unplug the shore power so I'm assuming I have a broken wire between the battery and the 12V fuse center. At this point with us leaving on a camping vacation soon I'm just going to live with this problem until we get back. I realize the fridge won't be working while we're traveling but with us only traveling around 3 hours from home I'm sure everything will stay cold and frozen. I'm gonna then take the coach to my local dealer and let him find and fix the problem.

If you're only traveling three hours, you wont have any problem at all with things staying cold in the fridge. Assuming it is pre-chilled and loaded when you pull out.
In fact everything should be good 6 -8 hours without the fridge running. The longest we have gone was on a drive from home down to the lower 48, pulled an 11 hour day without the fridge running and everything was still cool in the fridge and everything in the freezer was still frozen.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:13 PM   #15

Just throwing it out there but is the battery itself bad?? Check it and make sure it is not defective.
klpoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:54 PM   #16

Smile

Battery is brand new Duracell from our local Sam's Club. It has a 03/16 date code so its not old stock. I made contact with my local RV dealer and have an appointment to drop off my coach on the 7th of August so I'm hopin they get this last glitch out of this used trailer. I'm still in the black when it comes to what we paid compared to blue book value so I'm still in love with the unit...
Old 07-21-2016, 05:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
I am taking it for granted that your battery connections are WHITE (Negative) and BLACK (Positive).

- Make sure that the NEGATIVE battery terminal's cable goes down to the frame. Also, make sure that the cable connect to the frame is clean and tight.

- Does your TT have a 30 Amp main fuse by the battery? IF so is the fuse holder clean or corroded? While checking the fuse holder out, and your shore power connected, with your volt meter, and the fuse out, check to see if you have 12VDC on each of the connectors in the fuse holder. You should have voltages on each connector, the connector going toward the TT will have 12VDC from your TT's battery charge controller. On the fuse holder connector toward the battery should have 12VDC from the battery.

- When you say you checked the fuses, did you use a volt/ohm meter to check them? You would be surprised at how many members said that it looked good, but when they checked them with a meter they were bad.

- If you do not have 12VDC on the TT side of the fuse holder your problem is between there and the TT's charge controller.

- Let us know the mfr and model of your TT's battery charge controller as it may have a reverse polarity fuse that has blown.

Don
The 2017 jayco I got finally has the red positive & black negative battery cables now.
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:16 PM   #18

I'll go out on a limb and predict it's something with the ground cable from the battery to the frame. This is so often a problem that is not only overlooked, but it causes really weird problems. And it's usually very easy to fix. Sometimes, all it takes is a broken cable or some corrosion.....
Old 07-21-2016, 06:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevil View Post
I'll go out on a limb and predict it's something with the ground cable from the battery to the frame. This is so often a problem that is not only overlooked, but it causes really weird problems. And it's usually very easy to fix. Sometimes, all it takes is a broken cable or some corrosion.....

Can't hurt to check!!!

Also, know that you may not have trailer brakes in an emergency if the trailer becomes unhooked from the tv. The battery is what powers the breaks in that type of event.

Good luck finding the issue! And safe travels!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:46 PM   #20

X2 with a broken cable or some corrosion..... Usually on the frame side of the cable. Be sure both ends are clean and tight. Make sure there is no "green" between the connector and the cable itself.
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote