Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-07-2021, 12:31 PM   #1

12v Electrical Mods to JayFlight 264BH

I want to mod my brand Jayflight SLX8 and install some mods to the 12v system.

1) I'd like to install a couple of USB outlets or 12v cigar lighter sockets running off 12v in the bedroom and 1 in the lower bunk. We have 115v power outlets in those areas, but are useless when dry camping.

2) The lights in the bedroom aren't controlled by a light switch, you have to reach up and press the switch in the lights. My wife is a little short and needs a pencil or something to reach the lights. I'd like to install a wall light switch in the bedroom light circuit, but I don't know where the wires run in the wall.

3) I'd like to install a dome light or LED lights in the storage areas, but again, I don't know where to tap into the 12v wires and I don't want to break into the enclosed underbelly.

I know there would be 12v lines to the LED's in the overhead shelf in the bedroom, but I am hesitant to start tapping because I don't know the loads on that circuit.

Ideally I would run a new line from the battery or the converter under the floor and up through the fore and aft storage areas, but it has an enclosed belly and I don't want to put holes in it.

As its a brand new TT, I want to minimize the holes and damage to the walls etc.

Any ideas would be welcome. Much appreciated
Old 04-07-2021, 01:28 PM   #2

My suggestions in red.

1) I'd like to install a couple of USB outlets or 12v cigar lighter sockets running off 12v in the bedroom and 1 in the lower bunk. We have 115v power outlets in those areas, but are useless when dry camping. Since you have lights that aren't controlled by a light switch, you will have 12 volts and ground wires feeding the lights. Easy spot to tie into using 3M Scotchlock connectors. I did the exact same thing and installed a 12 volt power outlet.

2) The lights in the bedroom aren't controlled by a light switch, you have to reach up and press the switch in the lights. My wife is a little short and needs a pencil or something to reach the lights. I'd like to install a wall light switch in the bedroom light circuit, but I don't know where the wires run in the wall. I just yesterday installed a RF remote switch in my rig to be able to turn my inverter off from bed while watching TV. Very easy install. You just would access the light wires and tap in with the little receiver. Then you would have a keychain remote to turn the light on and off. No fishing wires through the wall.

3) I'd like to install a dome light or LED lights in the storage areas, but again, I don't know where to tap into the 12v wires and I don't want to break into the enclosed underbelly. I put some battery powered LED light strips in my storage area. No tap in required. Batteries last a long time.

I attached some pictures of the items I used but there are MANY options available on Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture 2.JPG   Capture.JPG   Capture 1.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 02:01 PM   #3

Welcome Aboard!

I do not have your TT, but I have done almost every one of those mods you mention except adding a light switch. See my signature for a link to the AUX mod.

As for the wall switch, it is going to take some snooping and planning. The light if it is not connected to a wall switch just connected to a hot wire running through the ceiling. It is hard to say what direction it comes from, and what is daisy chained together, before or maybe after it. I would start by turning on every 12V item. Pull the fuses 1 by 1, and figure out what is connected to the bedroom overhead lights. I suspect the headboard lights are daisy chained to that same circuit. In the closets, you might be able to cut a small access panel in the ceiling , so you can chase a new switched wire to the light. A couple more places to snoop to get an idea were the wires are at. Pull the inside AC cover, and the speaker over the sofa. With a good flashlight and maybe a helper you might locate the power feed wire.

Investigate where your 7 pin wire harness enters the TT and the routing of those wires. Jayco typically runs their wires indoors, and not under the floor or in the walls. Looking at your floor plan I do not see how they would accomplish that.

If you choose to run a wire under the TT. I recommend mounting a small diameter PVC electrical conduit or use the braided wire loom to protect the wire(s) from critters and road damage.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:49 PM   #4

I also have a 264BH but haven't done the first 2 mods. However for mod #3, I got several free flashlights from Harbor Freight and mounted them in my storage areas and clothes closets with self-stick Velcro. I also get Harbor Freight's free pack of AAA batteries and change them out a couple of times a year.

The lights and batteries are free, and plenty bright to illuminate the storage areas.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadAdventurer View Post
I want to mod my brand Jayflight SLX8 and install some mods to the 12v system.

1) I'd like to install a couple of USB outlets or 12v cigar lighter sockets running off 12v in the bedroom and 1 in the lower bunk. We have 115v power outlets in those areas, but are useless when dry camping.

2) The lights in the bedroom aren't controlled by a light switch, you have to reach up and press the switch in the lights. My wife is a little short and needs a pencil or something to reach the lights. I'd like to install a wall light switch in the bedroom light circuit, but I don't know where the wires run in the wall.

3) I'd like to install a dome light or LED lights in the storage areas, but again, I don't know where to tap into the 12v wires and I don't want to break into the enclosed underbelly.

I know there would be 12v lines to the LED's in the overhead shelf in the bedroom, but I am hesitant to start tapping because I don't know the loads on that circuit.

Ideally I would run a new line from the battery or the converter under the floor and up through the fore and aft storage areas, but it has an enclosed belly and I don't want to put holes in it.

As its a brand new TT, I want to minimize the holes and damage to the walls etc.

Any ideas would be welcome. Much appreciated
#2. add a pull chain switch like a ceiling fan.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 12:15 PM   #6

After reading some of the great ideas, I ordered a couple of RF remotes that I can patch into the light circuit so solve my switch issue.

I did find a possible source of power for my USB and 12v outlets. There is what appears to be a relay for the marker and brake/signal lights that is located in the front, driver side of the underbed/pass through storage. The relay seems to have a direct feed from the battery and ground. It looks like the battery feed is 12 gauge but will confirm on closer look. I could tap it and install a fused link which could power my USB and 12v and an underbed light.

I don't know about the impacts on the warranty though.
If I go ahead, I'll take some pictures and post them here.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Old 05-04-2021, 10:28 PM   #7

Tap into wire loom

I am curious did you end up tapping in to that wire loom in the pass through? I was thinking of doing the same thing. Seems like that would be a good source for power, as you would probably never over load that since you would unlikely be using both the marker lights and the usb and 12v sockets at the same time. Maybe the pass through light and marker lights at the same time. But that would be pretty minimal draw.
Melinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:35 AM   #8

Update on my electrical mods

I did utilize the wiring under the pass-through as a source for USB outlets. These wires power a relay that controls the marker, brake and tail lights. At first glance I thought the battery source cable and ground were 12 awg, but it turned out they were 16 gauge, so I didn't install 12v cig outlet off them.

I did tap them for 2 USB outlets one on each side of the bed and a small LED strip to light the pass-through. I teed off the using posi-products from crutchfield as I have never had much luck with 3M connectors. I ran 16awg around the contours of the storage area (I could have used 18, but I had lots of 16 wire).

For the LED strip, instead of installing a switch at either side of the storage, I installed a QIACHIP DC 12V 1CH 433Mhz RF Wireless Relay Remote Control to turn it on and off, and located a remote at each side. Overkill, yes, Nerdy, yes. Thanks JimD for the idea.

As I didn't want to install the 12V outlet in the front off the 16 awh traffic lights I decided the best place to locate it was logically, right next to the converter. It was very easy to slip the converter out, tie in to the ground bus behind it, and add a fuse to an unused circuit on the 12v side of the converter. NOTE, I made sure the 120V shore power was disconnected. I used 12 awh even though it was a very short run. Since I won't be putting a heavy load on the 12v I started with a 5amp fuse and see how that works out.

Still haven't been able to solve the issue of putting the bedroom lights on a switch. For now, the wife will be using a stick with a rubber tip to press the individual LED switches on or off. Likewise the one over the bathroom sink. She is 5 ft tall and just can't reach those lights. Likewise the bathroom fan. Thats another set of mods for another day.

Thanks everyone who gave me suggestions.

Next... I'll install the Furrion camera kit. The Jayco is prewired for it.
Attached Thumbnails
20210506_123739211_iOS.jpg   20210506_123750721_iOS.jpg   20210417_12V.jpg  
Old 05-06-2021, 07:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinhead View Post
I am curious did you end up tapping in to that wire loom in the pass through? I was thinking of doing the same thing. Seems like that would be a good source for power, as you would probably never over load that since you would unlikely be using both the marker lights and the usb and 12v sockets at the same time. Maybe the pass through light and marker lights at the same time. But that would be pretty minimal draw.
Hi Melinhead, I meant to update this post earlier. I finally posted my experience. If you have any questions, please post or dm me.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:41 AM   #10

Tap into wire loom

I am assuming this is the same thing you tapped into? I am planning to do basically the same thing just waiting for the guy in the brown truck to get here with the parts.
Attached Thumbnails
20210503_142312.jpg  
Melinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:53 AM   #11

Thats it, mine was behind wooden box on the drivers side of the trailer front wall. I didn't get a very good picture of it,but the battery and ground wires are described on the input side. The other inputs must be from the tow vehicle connections and the outputs to the trailer lights.
Attached Thumbnails
20210407_210718194_iOS.jpg  

Tags
12v wiring, 226bh, usb outlets