Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2021, 03:27 PM   #1

12V issues with 2020 Whitehawk 26RK

I'm having 12V issues (while camping) with my 2020 Whitehwak 26rk

Replaced the 13 month old battery - but that only helped temporarily - now all 12V circuits are dead (fuses ok) yet the converter wizard still indicates charging and the display panel shows battery at 1/3.

Any suggestion? Jayco won't provide schematic (is there an inline fuse somewhere?) and the dealer can't seem to help either.

-thanks
NewTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 05:16 PM   #2

If the battery status indicators are only showing 1/3 while plugged in, you are not charging. Without a voltmeter you will never know what is actually happening.

Using a simple voltmeter just measure across the battery. While plugged in it should read mid 13s to mid 14s. If it is in the low to mid 12s you most likely aren't charging.

The converter should power the 12 volt items even without a battery present. I don't know what charge wizard you are referring to but it sounds like it may not be accurate.

I have attached some troubleshooting info that may shed light on things.
Attached Thumbnails
Voltmeter.JPG  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Electrical Troubleshooting (ver 2).pdf (2.01 MB, 5 views)
File Type: pdf Quick Multimeter Instructions (ver 1).pdf (376.3 KB, 2 views)

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 06:02 PM   #3

Thanks JimD. Did measure the converter output without the battery being connected and it was ~ 13.6 V. With the battery connected (new battery) the voltage starts out OK but gradually drops - as if the converter (Power Dynamics PD4560) can't supply the necessary charging current.

BTW, there is no battery disconnect on this model - and while I never tried to run the 12V loads w/o battery before - as of now, there is no 12V if the battery is not in the circuit. (a schematic would be really helpful)

The "wizard" feature of this particularly converter is supposed to regulate the amount of voltage supplied to charge the battery - with a green light indicating charging status.

BTW2, out of necessity I could run the 12V loads (smaller ones) from the vehicle battery for some time - made sure not to drain below starting requirements.

I'm thinking there may be a bad ground or perhaps an inline fuse for the battery (somewhere) that may be bad,
NewTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 06:24 PM   #4

I added an external "wizard" thing to my converter. It has a blinking LED that shows what level the converter is charging at plus you can push the button and force it into a particular charge mode. On mine I noticed the blinking LED would blink even when not plugged in. Apparently it was just measuring the battery voltage and would change blink rate depending on battery status. My solar would make it blink like the converter was in boost charge mode.

OK, I got carried away. I have attached some documentation on your converter. Maybe it will shed light on your problem.

One other thing just came to mind. I had to replace my converter under warranty because it wouldn't go into boost mode. I have a volt meter display that I constantly watch (I am easily entertained) and noticed that it would never get above mid 13s when it should have gone to mid 14s. My converter manual had a troubleshooting section that worked in diagnosing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PD4500-110030J-owners-manual-english.pdf (260.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: pdf PD4500-SERIES-TROUBLESHOOTING.pdf (599.5 KB, 2 views)

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v, battery, whitehawk