Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-11-2021, 07:44 AM   #1

12v items not working- 2022 224bh

We have a brand new trailer- still doing shakedown. However, our GFCI was not resetting- TV microwave and all outlets not working. Tried resetting GFCI in bathroom - nope. Plugged trailer back in and then was able to reset. Question- do we have to be plugged in to have 12v item work? Battery is fully loaded.
Thanks, Karen
Pinchcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:14 AM   #2

Welcome aboard and congratulations on the new TT.

You have two power sources in your new TT.
  • 12V DC (battery), this is the same as what is in your car. It powers your lights, CO/Gas detector, 2 way Frig, water heater, radio, and slide.
  • 120V AC, this is the same power as you have in your house. This powers your microwave, AC, and all of the wall outlets. It also power the converter that produces 12V DC electric to charge your on board battery, and can power the various DC items while plugged in. Pending on your TT, it will power any residential style frigs, like an outside kitchen frig.

The bathroom GFCI, is part of the 120V power system. GFCI's will only reset when 120V power is apply to them.

To have 120V power you need to be connected to shore power. This could be done by a simple plug into a shore power outlet or utilize an appropriately sized generator.

Many of the higher $$$ rigs do have an integrated inverter. Others like myself have a free standing inverter I connect when I need some 120V power. This inverter converts power from 12V DC to 120V AC. This is a power hog, and can drain a battery quickly. An OEM inverter is wired up so you can use a residential refrigerator and/or a tv, but not the whole camper. Most people who have inverters, utilize multiple batteries, and have a method to recharge the batteries (Solar, generator or shore power outlet). In my case, I bring along a generator, which I will run a couple hours a day to top off the batteries,

While at home, I would recommend disconnecting the shore power, and determine which system is connected to what.

Hope this helps.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:29 PM   #3

How is your Anylisis of your problem coming?

The notes above is a great explanation of your rig.

The GFCI’s are not causing your 12 volt issues. They are both separate systems.

Any other symptoms we can help you diagnose?
Old 10-12-2021, 05:09 AM   #4

Good Morning Pinchcreek, I think I had the same issue. Is the thread linked below what you are experiencing?

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...lem-90455.html

... now have different view than what was posted in original thread. Will discuss if you are having same problem.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 08:15 AM   #5

Pinchcreek, have you resolved your 12v issues? If not have you checked the top or first fuse in the fuse box? That one is usually general lights etc.. all the other fuses are for the rest of the 12v system. If any of them have lights next to them they are blown and need to be replaced. FYI for some reason my system does not have a light for the first fuse, but it may be the way its wired up...

As others have mentioned this is separate from the 110v and GFCI system. So you cannot compare or troubleshoot the same way. I have used a voltage test light to test current etc on 12v sections along with a volt meter.
Old 10-12-2021, 10:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Welcome aboard and congratulations on the new TT.

You have two power sources in your new TT.
  • 12V DC (battery), this is the same as what is in your car. It powers your lights, CO/Gas detector, 2 way Frig, water heater, radio, and slide.
  • 120V AC, this is the same power as you have in your house. This powers your microwave, AC, and all of the wall outlets. It also power the converter that produces 12V DC electric to charge your on board battery, and can power the various DC items while plugged in. Pending on your TT, it will power any residential style frigs, like an outside kitchen frig.

The bathroom GFCI, is part of the 120V power system. GFCI's will only reset when 120V power is apply to them.

To have 120V power you need to be connected to shore power. This could be done by a simple plug into a shore power outlet or utilize an appropriately sized generator.

Many of the higher $$$ rigs do have an integrated inverter. Others like myself have a free standing inverter I connect when I need some 120V power. This inverter converts power from 12V DC to 120V AC. This is a power hog, and can drain a battery quickly. An OEM inverter is wired up so you can use a residential refrigerator and/or a tv, but not the whole camper. Most people who have inverters, utilize multiple batteries, and have a method to recharge the batteries (Solar, generator or shore power outlet). In my case, I bring along a generator, which I will run a couple hours a day to top off the batteries,

While at home, I would recommend disconnecting the shore power, and determine which system is connected to what.

Hope this helps.
Thank you so very much for this information. It is very helpful. Problem solved. Have a wonderful day!
Pinchcreek is offline   Reply With Quote